Fat bike or Dually?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
MarcusT

Fat bike or Dually?

Post by MarcusT »

I am shopping for a specialty bike. I want to use it to ride on river beds, with sand, loose gravel and rocks. Several bike shops have recommended the dual suspension 27.5+, but I keep getting drawn to the fatty. Watching videos online it seems to be what I am looking for.

Any input would be appreciated.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
brumster

Re: Fat bike or Dually?

Post by brumster »

Can't say I've ridden many river beds, ( a fair few stream crossings ! ) but I do have a fatty ( Surly Pugs ) and what you do get with 4" tyres is plenty of grip and cushioning which also boosts confidence with technical riding ( The bike also rides really well when loaded up ) The only downside to the fat bike I'd say is riding on the road and forest road climbs where the rotating weight and drag of the tyres become more noticeable. I've not had much experience of 27.5" + It may well be the better all round mtb option - In a full suspension format it may well be very good on technical terrain and perform well on river beds, though regular maintenance / servicing will be needed as with all full suspension bikes compared to a rigid machine.
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

I would go for the fatty. I have a 27.5+ hardtail and a Pugsley with quite a few miles on both. Given your particular requirement, I think the deciding factor will be the considerably better grip afforded by the larger footprint of a 4 or 5 inch tyre.

Fatties are more fun!

Better grip, more fun, you know what to do :)
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

So, I tried both bikes. A friend let me try his dually with 27.5. It is a nice bike. nimble, comfortable and easy to handle, but the fat bike is exactly what I am looking for. It can handle the sand, soft gravel, lateral slopes, where the 2.4" was bogged down or had less traction. The fatty rolled over rocks that I would normally have avoided.
The downsides of the fatty? Uphill SUCKS!!! It was like pushing a wheel barrel uphill. That and road handling was a little sleepy.
The dually is great for single track, but the fatty is great for no track.

Thanks for the input.
flash

Post by flash »

I disagree with Marcus on one point, I don't find an issue riding up hills on my Pugsley. I have 10+ bikes mostly SS or fixed so it's easy to compare. The Fat bike is the comfiest I own, I did 3 good days of riding last weekend, including some interesting hills....try different bikes, go in with an open mind and enjoy.....
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

MarcusT wrote:So, I tried both bikes. A friend let me try his dually with 27.5. It is a nice bike. nimble, comfortable and easy to handle, but the fat bike is exactly what I am looking for. It can handle the sand, soft gravel, lateral slopes, where the 2.4" was bogged down or had less traction. The fatty rolled over rocks that I would normally have avoided.
The downsides of the fatty? Uphill SUCKS!!! It was like pushing a wheel barrel uphill. That and road handling was a little sleepy.
The dually is great for single track, but the fatty is great for no track.

Thanks for the input.

2.4" is barely a plus size tyre.
Maybe with 3" tyres you would find a best of both worlds solution.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Update. I picked up the fat bike and could not be more satisfied. It is exactly what I was looking for.
The pic shows the type of terrain I ride.
Cheers
Fat bike country
Fat bike country
flash

Post by flash »

Nice...
Bikikingi

Post by Bikikingi »

Great choice :mrgreen:
howdy :mrgreen:
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

MarcusT wrote:I am shopping for a specialty bike. I want to use it to ride on river beds, with sand, loose gravel and rocks. Several bike shops have recommended the dual suspension 27.5+, but I keep getting drawn to the fatty. Watching videos online it seems to be what I am looking for.

Cycle on riverbeds??? Is that for some specific purpose, other than wrecking an ecosystem??
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

MikeF wrote:
MarcusT wrote:I am shopping for a specialty bike. I want to use it to ride on river beds, with sand, loose gravel and rocks. Several bike shops have recommended the dual suspension 27.5+, but I keep getting drawn to the fatty. Watching videos online it seems to be what I am looking for.

Cycle on riverbeds??? Is that for some specific purpose, other than wrecking an ecosystem??

Not sure if you realize what river beds consist of. They are dry, then it rains and then they are wet, so any trace of riding is swept away. Especially with gravel and rocks, there are very little traces
Are you an eco-terrorist?
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

MarcusT wrote:
MikeF wrote:

Not sure if you realize what river beds consist of. They are dry, then it rains and then they are wet, so any trace of riding is swept away. Especially with gravel and rocks, there are very little traces
No idea what an eco-terrorist is.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

MikeF wrote:
MarcusT wrote:
MikeF wrote:Cycle on riverbeds??? Is that for some specific purpose, other than wrecking an ecosystem??

No idea what an eco-terrorist is.

Eco-terrorism attacks people or things that threaten the environment or the wildlife it supports

Just want to know if I should be afraid :wink: