Cycle parking...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
foxyrider

Re: Cycle parking...

Post by foxyrider »

How about a low bar for locking oddballs to, say 30cm high but similar tube dimension to the Sheffield stands. IME stands set at an angle are easier to access than those set square. In Holland they are often set end to end but that's not particularly space conscious. Here in Sheffield our public stands are generally set @ 1m apart which is fine if there is access from both ends but can be awkward if only one end is accessible.
Sheffield stands were never intended for big basketed shopping bikes - they usually have stands fitted and are better served with a corral bar like the oddballs - this is what the Europeans tend to do.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

IME, these people prefer something official. AFAIK, TAL 5/02 is still current. I think it's particularly useful in that it makes the point that if cyclists don't like what's provided, they'll simply fasten their bikes to something they find more appealing.
http://www.ukroads.org/webfiles/TAL%205 ... vision.pdf

(Make sure the Vicar has somewhere safe and memorable to park their own bike. :wink: )
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

money no object talk to these people.
http://www.myparkingsign.com/blog/bike- ... ves-space/
NUKe

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Money is always an object... and those solutions all look to fail the moment a trailer is used...
Orna tandem, or antrike, or a recumbent, or anything that doesn't fit their idea of a UCI constrained bike...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mjr

Post by mjr »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Money is always an object... and those solutions all look to fail the moment a trailer is used...
Orna tandem, or antrike, or a recumbent, or anything that doesn't fit their idea of a UCI constrained bike...

Personally, I tend to lock my trailer to the bike (sticking out the back of the parking space a long way), or detach and wheel it forwards to lock a handle on the hitch bar between bike and stand... or wheel it in where I'm going as a handcart, which is an act that gets challenged a lot less often than I'd expected. I'm tempted to fit a trailer hitch to my folding bike, then put the folded bike in the trailer and wheel it in to certain shops (Lakeland, Asda...) that have objected to my folding bike being wheeled around. Not really had the need to yet, though. Might do it just to be cussed.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yes - I'm going to leave some sheffield stands out to allow for trailers etc.
That'll really confuse the planners...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I mostly see either hoops, or http://www.bing.com/images/search?view= ... ajaxhist=0 type things here. The hoops seem to work well for trailers, cargo bikes, etc. And the wave things are fine, as long as there are plenty of them, and they aren't too close together. With tandem and trailer, I just park on the end of the wave, or at the last stand, if parking on the end will block access.

A refurbishment at a local shopping centre got 3 different types of stands. There are some of the wave type in the covered cycle parking, Sheffield type stands in an open area, and handlebar height rails in the secure employee parking, which is outside, but completely enclosed, and behind locked doors. They put it under the (motor vehicle) parking ramp.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Would people use these:

Or would you consider them as bad as the true wheel benders:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Would people use these:

I have used this type of thing in the past. I don't have a problem with them, except that they are a hassle for locking securely, especially when full. It's hard to reach between the bikes to lock a front wheel seperately from the frame. I ended up leaving a motorcyle lock at work because that was the easiest way to deal with how to lock my bike up on that type of stand. I don't think they work very well for non-standard equipment, like recumbents and trikes. It might be okay to park a recumbent bike on them, if no one else parked either side.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I would only consider them for one area of parking, with Sheffield stands etc elsewhere - but they do get a decent increase in density. And let's be honest, the majority of users use 'standard' bikes (that's why they're called standard)

Locking convenience is noted - particularly given the likely usage patterns at church being 'majority of people arrive 2 minutes before the service'
mjr

Post by mjr »

I'd avoid them. I don't like weightlifting or trying to step through metal rails while pushing/lifting my bike up and they look like they'll snap the ends off my long rear mudguards/flaps.

The WWWW wave/serpentine stands or saddle-grabbers can be arbitrarily long to support a similar density if installed correctly (assuming people know to push their bikes through them and not park sideways), are less metalwork and more beautiful. These ones are a little low so you can't park many bikes under the high points, but you get the idea:
(source)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote:[The WWWW wave/serpentine stands or saddle-grabbers can be arbitrarily long to support a similar density if installed correctly (assuming people know to push their bikes through them and not park sideways), are less metalwork and more beautiful. These ones are a little low so you can't park many bikes under the high points, but you get the idea:

I've never seen those installed in such a way that a standard bike will fit under the high points. I use that sort of thing fairly often, and I like them better than most other sorts, including sheffield stands. They suit most types of equipment, and they are relatively easy to lock to.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

mjr wrote:

I'd avoid them. I don't like weightlifting or trying to step through metal rails while pushing/lifting my bike up and they look like they'll snap the ends off my long rear mudguards/flaps.

The WWWW wave/serpentine stands or saddle-grabbers can be arbitrarily long to support a similar density if installed correctly (assuming people know to push their bikes through them and not park sideways), are less metalwork and more beautiful. These ones are a little low so you can't park many bikes under the high points, but you get the idea:
(source)

Oh - is that how you're supposed to use those wavy stands? I'd wondered (you learn something new every day...).
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

I personally hate sheffield stands!!!! Why pay £n00 for a decent frame then lean it up against a steel tube and get the paint scraped off ? Several years ago i was tasked at work to find cycle parking room. I chose the so called wheel bender style these were fitted in the basement car park and on the surface park, I used one virtually every day for eight years ad never had a problem. From memory we had about eighteen spaces and were well subscrbed. The only comlaint I got was sombody had a light nicked.. no damage to wheels at all
one of the criteria was that we may have had to move them, and the wheel benders came in either two or three slot formatt which gave us the flexibility.
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
mjr

Post by mjr »

ferrit worrier wrote:I personally hate sheffield stands!!!! Why pay £n00 for a decent frame then lean it up against a steel tube and get the paint scraped off ?

So either put your bike on its stand or put some padding on the stand or bike where they touch. Please don't inflict more wheelbenders on the world! Who wants to pay £n00 for a decent set of wheels and then get them bent by flaming wheelbenders? And generally you can only lock the wheels to wheelbenders unless you've a long cable and does anyone really want to trust their frame to a long cable lock? There's good reasons why they're explicitly booted by the Parking Standards here: "types of cycle stand can be considered on their merits but those that support or grab just the wheel are not considered suitable."