cost of renewing bottom bracket bearing

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
johnk1

cost of renewing bottom bracket bearing

Post by johnk1 »

I have a Diamondback Wildwood hybrid that has a badly worn bearing can anyone give me an idea of the cost of repairing it?
Cheers
John
alexnharvey

Re: cost of renewing bottom bracket bearing

Post by alexnharvey »

I think that bike comes with a cup and cone square taper bb. I'd guess 10-20 for a un-55 bottom bracket if you replace the entire thing, not sure about fitting cost maybe 20-30? I'd then expect that shimano sealed bb to outlive most of the other components on the bike.

It could cost less in parts if you simply replaced the balls in the existing bb, assuming the cups and spindle cones are OK. However, I often find they are not because by the time you notice symptoms, they're already damaged. Secondly, if such a bb is fitted, it is often of very low quality. Lastly, it takes some time and care to adjust them properly.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Fitting £15 to £20 around these parts (s yorkshire). I agree about using a shimano bb-un55. Great bang for buck and last ages, much better than un-26. They are about £15 online, more if you get the bike shop to supply it. If you order it yourself you need to make sure you buy the correct spindle length and shell width. Shimano is a known quantity. Don't let the shop fit just what they have in, for example TH industries bb; I have seen quite a few of those totally gone within a year.
johnk1

Post by johnk1 »

Thanks Alex and Gregory, that gives me a good idea of costs