Pedestrians that think they're the path police (rant)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
brooksby

Re: Pedestrians that think they're the path police (rant)

Post by brooksby »

Redvee wrote:Rode over the bridge today and the only issue was an out of tune busker murdering a song, I do keep to walking pace. If you ride the bridge this weekend you'll be OK as there won't be many people using it. :lol:

Yeah, bl**dy tourists, coming here, filling up my commute route home, spending their money, bumbling around on Yobikes like they've never heard of bicycles before, erm... :oops:
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

I have similar problems on shared routes in Poole where I live. Now it's been taken over with dog walkers. The dogs are sometimes off the lead and other times they're on long leads ( which both is unlawful ) and almost none are under control.
I give my horn a bit of a blast ( but try to do it a non confronting way , if that's possible ) and when I see that hasn't been acknolaged I ring the bell. Sometime people move aside a bit but generally they don't even when they clearly know i'm there and there is a look from them that suggests they think it's their path.
When in France 99% of dog owners on shared paths are on leads and bring their dogs to heal and don't even move if they see or know a bike is approaching.
It's just as has been said here. It's a cultural thing where the humble cyclist is hated and not revered as I feel it should be. Instead we seem to champion polution slob mobiles (Josie dew's name for them not mine) that kill people in massive numbers every year.

I'm not waving an environmetal flag here. All I want to do is get from A to B under my own steam while not micturating people off and keeping healthy too.

The other day I was researching a route across to Prague by bike. I looked at the bike routes across Europe. It was quite shameful the lack of routes in the UK compared to other countries.
boliston

Post by boliston »

Bez wrote:Don't forget that the media in Bristol have been publicly shaming people riding bikes on bridges, which of course helps foment an atmosphere of conflict.

https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-fea ... ing-signs/

This is a bit silly as it is safer to cycle on this bridge rather than dismount as you take up double the space when dismounted. It would be more sensible to say "cyclists give way to pedestrians".
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bez wrote:Don't forget that the media in Bristol have been publicly shaming people riding bikes on bridges, which of course helps foment an atmosphere of conflict.

https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-fea ... ing-signs/

If only that news outlet was as keen to film motorists breaking the law speeding,using mobiles,RLJ ing,etc,etc.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
BakfietsUK

Post by BakfietsUK »

It's not your fault Natural Ankling, that the person has anger issues. It must be a pretty wretched experience to hate that much and I feel pity for someone who reacts in that way to what sounds like highly considerate behaviour on your part. What I would take away from that encounter is a satisfaction that I did the right thing and a sadness that some peoples live must be really miserable.
RodWatts

Post by RodWatts »

Last year the path from my area in Hampton in to Bushey Park (Duke's Passage) had signs put by Royal Parks saying no cycling and dogs on leads. Cyclists, dog walkers, peds all seemed to rub along together as far as I could see, however there must have been an altercation previously which I'm not aware of so the signs went up.
This week thanks to a local petition (1600 signatures) and input from sustrans and Richmond council the signs have been changed to "Pedestrian Priority Considerate behaviour welcome. Dogs on leads" a little stuffy but it gets the message across that we should all be able to rub along together in harmony.... So well done to Royal Parks for listening to reason.
A victory over "small minded, little Britain !"
How long that sign will last before the 'other side' have their say is another matter!
Rod
I'm not lost, I'm just exploring!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Whilst peds may be perceived in being more vunerable? Its the cyclist I believe that are more at risk to harm from falls due to lazy dog walkers.

Out yesterday and dinged my bell as approaching a ped from behind (many do have dogs of course) I saw dogs there, so continued to warn the dog walker with my bell until some attention is seen, not much so continued by first dog slowly, second dog turned around to look and ignored my presence which is normal....................it seemed content with sniffing the grass whilst moving slowly in front of me. This Is Normal Dog Behaviour and its just instinct and natural.
I attempted to pass (I am one side dog is other with a gap of 8') as I slowly passed the dog 8mph, dog switched sides with no warning and I was forced to brake through fear of collision and dismount :evil:

Its not the dogs fault, I have owned two dogs for nearly 25 years, but the perceived danger by cyclist hitting peds is over played I.M.O.
I am constantly scolded by peds and dog walkers for speeding..................this is mostly a retort from peds and dog walkers after a very minor or even non existant encounter..................

Giving peds priority just fuels their selfish self importance on any path even when they jay walk on highways.

Just like the 1.5 M safety pass by cars on cyclist, which has been proved to be effective just by publicicty, a standard on mixed paths would help?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

RodWatts wrote: signs have been changed to "Pedestrian Priority"

Which according to a previous thread here mean nothing.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

The worst part of peds and dogs is when they call it. Have been in the situation where the dog is fully aware of your presence, and stops or continues to amble along minding it's own business, the owner stops on opp side of track you have a nice clear route between the two... the dog knows what it is doing but then gets called.... so 'obeys' and walks right across your path.. when it would have been perfectly safe to stay where it was.

Worst we had with a dog was out with the junior club.... a little rug rat type of dog escaped it's owner as my son passed and managed to run between his front and rear wheel, he stayed up right but dog was hit by back wheel and yelped..... owners were not happy with us... son was terrified he would be in trouble.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
mjr

Post by mjr »

brooksby wrote:Their gripe about when Prince's Street bridge was closed is arguably more valid - that was a steep temporary structure which was intended as a pedestrian crossing and which was very definitely not shared-use.

Not really more valid - they should have directed their two-minute hate at the council for using an inappropriate temporary structure on a key cycling link (it's a multiplex of four cycle routes: Nationals 33 and 41 and the local Festival Way and Malago Greenway) and then not even signposting a diversion from far enough back to stand any chance of being followed.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

mjr wrote:
brooksby wrote:Their gripe about when Prince's Street bridge was closed is arguably more valid - that was a steep temporary structure which was intended as a pedestrian crossing and which was very definitely not shared-use.

Not really more valid - they should have directed their two-minute hate at the council for using an inappropriate temporary structure on a key cycling link (it's a multiplex of four cycle routes: Nationals 33 and 41 and the local Festival Way and Malago Greenway) and then not even signposting a diversion from far enough back to stand any chance of being followed.

Good point, which I hadn't considered...
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
eileithyia wrote:The worst part of peds and dogs is when they call it. Have been in the situation where the dog is fully aware of your presence, and stops or continues to amble along minding it's own business, the owner stops on opp side of track you have a nice clear route between the two... the dog knows what it is doing but then gets called.... so 'obeys' and walks right across your path.. when it would have been perfectly safe to stay where it was.

Worst we had with a dog was out with the junior club.... a little rug rat type of dog escaped it's owner as my son passed and managed to run between his front and rear wheel, he stayed up right but dog was hit by back wheel and yelped..... owners were not happy with us... son was terrified he would be in trouble.....

The first law of shared paths I would lay down is........"Walk to your dog"........its far safer and sensible for all.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

thirdcrank wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4499877,-2.5975002,3a,15y,289.01h,87.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shjhvkKX_Dmjq_Ge-mHeM5w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I presume that's the bridge. Hardly suitable for trouble-free shared-use by pedestrians and cyclists if there are lots of either. It would be interesting to know the bridge's history. :? I presume it was designed as a footbridge then, with the pressure to promote cycling, it was converted as an afterthought. The signs are faded and there's some extra wording below them which I cannot read on streetview. I wonder if it says something like "cyclists give way to pedestrians." :?
Interesting that Streetview is on a non motorised route. Is this becoming common place?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

MikeF wrote:Interesting that Streetview is on a non motorised route. Is this becoming common place?

Yes, using trike and backpack cameras (probably the latter in this case).