Still tinkering with Quackers..

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Wildduck

Still tinkering with Quackers..

Post by Wildduck »

Okay, I've had Quackers nine months now but still find myself tinkering with the ride position (just moved the boom out another inch today).

Am I the exception or does everyone with a recumbent find themselves taking a while to find the perfect setup?
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

I've had my Trice just over two years and it took me quite a while, making small adjustments here and there, to find what i think is the best riding position for me.
banjokat

Post by banjokat »

It took me ages on my two wheel 'bent, tinkering with boom position, seat angle etc. I seem to be there now though, short cranks and seat at full recline.
A whole inch of boom adjustment seems quite a lot though?
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

I think the issue is having large feet (size almost an 11 - no smutty comments please!).

There's the normal heel-on-pedal initial set up but this has been far too short. The boom has now been extended approx two inches in total since the original setup with much better power and comfort.

Everyone's different I suppose! At least it means with the cleat being adjusted as far back as possible I'm eliminated the very occassional scraping of the ground with my heel problem.
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

Wildduck, you mentioned that you occasionally scraped your heel on the ground. Before I bought my Trice that was one of my concerns that I had as my shoe size is 12 (and yes it is true, big feet = big shoes). I got intouch with Neil at ICE and mentioned my worries, they set a trike up on the bench at roughly my dimensions and got a guy with even bigger feet than me to measure if his feet would touch. They were very confident that I wouldn't have any trouble with my feet catching the road, so confident that they said if I had any problems at all, send it back and they would refund me. Foot size may have some bearing on placement of shoe cleats, as I've said elsewhere, directly below the ball of the foot works fine for me. I also have my boom length set out slightly further than the classic heel and straight leg on pedal. As you've said, size of feet probably has a part in this distance too.