The Cyclist Strikes Back

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

The Cyclist Strikes Back

Post by mercalia »

"Slough road fight: Cyclist and driver filmed brawling
A cyclist has been filmed by a member of the public attacking the occupants of a car with his mud guard during a fight in the middle of the road"

wow things seem to be getting bad these days?

seems like I am never in the right place at the right time :P

"Thames Valley Police, which has been shown the video by the BBC, said the incident was not being investigated as it had not been reported. " :roll:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-berkshire-40750855/slough-road-fight-cyclist-and-driver-filmed-brawling
Elizabethsdad

Re: The Cyclist Strikes Back

Post by Elizabethsdad »

There are just too many bloody loonies out on the roads these - both on bikes and in cars/vans. Last night I was driving along a 30mph stretch and ask my wife 'Is there dirty great magnet in the boot?' as there is a car behind us sitting right on the rear bumper. We get to a 40 limit - before I can speed up car behind speeds past nearly clipping the front of our car before cutting in coming to a halt and the driving getting out and having a go at us for driving within the speed limit. If I got his number plate I might have reported him.
wrangler_rover

Post by wrangler_rover »

I took delivery of a new company car in April, I chose a Mitsubishi Outlander plug in electric hybrid vehicle, a 4 x 4.
I already had a dash cam, I fitted the dash cam in my new car as I travel around the whole country and several years ago I was caught in a cash for crash scam.
5 weeks after getting the Outlander, a deer ran out in front of me on a motorway which I ran over and damaged my car. The dash cam footage was great and the insurance company was no problem. If there had been a problem with the insurance, the dash cam footage would have proved I could not avoid the deer.
I would recommend anybody fits a dash cam to their car, mine is a £40 one from Lidl and the resolution is good.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

From what I can see in the linked video it appears that the young man is trying to beat up two rather elderly chaps in the car.We've no idea what lead up to the incident but it's clearly got out of hand from the cyclist POV :?
Last edited by reohn2 on 31 Jul 2017, 11:30am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Si

Post by Si »

That's the problem with this sort of thing - you never see what leads up to it, so in this case the cyclist looks like the aggressor. If the video before the aired bit showed the car intentionally swerving across the road to knock the cyclist off then the cyclist ceases to look like the aggressor, on the other hand if it shows that there was no interaction before the cyclist just attacked them at random then it confirms he was a aggressor. Begs the question: did they leave out the preliminaries just to make the cyclist look like guiltiest party?
robing

Post by robing »

Si wrote:That's the problem with this sort of thing - you never see what leads up to it, so in this case the cyclist looks like the aggressor. If the video before the aired bit showed the car intentionally swerving across the road to knock the cyclist off then the cyclist ceases to look like the aggressor, on the other hand if it shows that there was no interaction before the cyclist just attacked them at random then it confirms he was a aggressor. Begs the question: did they leave out the preliminaries just to make the cyclist look like guiltiest party?

I think that's because someone only started filming it on their phone once the confrontation started, rather than if it was dashcam footage it would have probably got what happened before. In the bit we can see, the cyclist is attacking the two older and rather flabby men in the car - the driver is wielding a golf club but only rather feebly and is presumably to defend himself as the cyclist was attacking the passenger first. Then a passer by steps in to calm things down. I guess the police could only do anything if the driver and passenger had wanted to pursue it. Does make you wonder what happened before!
Si

Post by Si »

Yep, you are probably right. Pity something couldn't be put in the article, though, to make it less like it was a story about a cyclist attacking random strangers, just something along the lines of "it's not known what happened beforehand to provoke this reaction by the cyclist".
robing

Post by robing »

Si wrote:Yep, you are probably right. Pity something couldn't be put in the article, though, to make it less like it was a story about a cyclist attacking random strangers, just something along the lines of "it's not known what happened beforehand to provoke this reaction by the cyclist".

Perhaps the fact that the guys in the car didn't report it to the police suggests that they weren't innocent and must have done something pretty significant to provoke that sort of reaction.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

As said we don't know what provoked it but attacking older gents probably not a good idea, though looked like one was giving it back with his golf club until intervened.
Not the type of cyclist i associate my self with.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

no one has commented on the cyclist's pugilist technique :lol: dont see that often these days 1 ,2 ,1 ,2 etc
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:no one has commented on the cyclist's pugilist technique :lol: dont see that often these days 1 ,2 ,1 ,2 etc

Yeah the cyclist was really up against it with those two old guys,especially the one armed with his walking stick :?
W H Auden
karlt

Post by karlt »

wrangler_rover wrote:I took delivery of a new company car in April, I chose a Mitsubishi Outlander plug in electric hybrid vehicle, a 4 x 4.
I already had a dash cam, I fitted the dash cam in my new car as I travel around the whole country and several years ago I was caught in a cash for crash scam.
5 weeks after getting the Outlander, a deer ran out in front of me on a motorway which I ran over and damaged my car. The dash cam footage was great and the insurance company was no problem. If there had been a problem with the insurance, the dash cam footage would have proved I could not avoid the deer.
I would recommend anybody fits a dash cam to their car, mine is a £40 one from Lidl and the resolution is good.

And free venison...
boliston

Post by boliston »

there was a similar one in bristol today
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/brist ... ing-279266
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

boliston wrote:there was a similar one in bristol today
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/brist ... ing-279266

The cyclist looks to be a thug and a moron,OTOH if he gets that kind of abuse day in day out he perhaps just snapped,there's no excuse for that kind of violence though.
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I must have missed it at the time, but a couple of months ago King Edmund was quoted 0n the BBC and elsewhere grumbling about dashcam footage being improperly used, especially when it was circulated to pillory somebody. Some media interpreted this to include helmet cameras as well, which is a pretty logical conclusion.

There's sometimes a tendency to include misinformation when a media release like this is regurgitated but it's of interest to anybody touring abroad that it's suggested there are different attitudes in some countries, eg a ban on dashcams in Luxemburg.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39999009

It's a bit of an irony that another part of the AA is promoting the use of this technology.