The Day of the Electric car is nigh

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Graham

Re: The Day of the Electric car is nigh

Post by Graham »

Heard ( or possibly misheard ) on Radio4 : Today this morning . . .

The idea of building tunnel/covers over roads in the most polluted areas to protect those beyond the roads.
The tunnels supposedly coated with magic substrates to break down the toxic gases - no reference to M10s and other nasties though.

Objectors highlight the potential hazards of nasties trapped in the enclosed space.

I approve though. It is high time that the externalisation of pollution problems was reversed.
The polluter pays : the polluter receives direct exposure to their own pollution.

Let us cover our green & pleasant land with ( tens of ) thousands of of wind farms and acres of PV panels . . . if that is what it takes to stop our society from greedy, wasteful and unsustainable energy use.

Voters vote for externalisation. "Not my problem : Everyone else does it : I don't want to see the consequences of my own actions . . . . . "
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Twenty odd years ago, I went to a meeting where somebody from the Highways Agency was spouting about the clean emissions from his car but he shut up when I suggested he might try running a pipe from his exhaust into the car. :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

There's another way to look at it...... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tncnWp67wQI
PS,some choice language in the link
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
irc

Post by irc »

Dawesboi wrote:The equivalent project here would be the much mooted Severn barrage. Perhaps we will see it one day, and it would probably be cost effective, but there are significany ecological reasons not to build it.

Cost effective? The company wanting to build the Swansea Tidal Lagon want £168 per MWh compared to the already expensive Hinkley Point cost of £92.50 per MWh.

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ ... P-2016-023
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Just to show that there's nothing new under the Sun, here's a pic in the Leodis Leeds photographic archive of a car converted to run on battery power during WWII. It seems from comments posted that it was full to the gunwales with batteries, but it's not explained where or how the electric motor was fitted. Another idea before its time

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

An electric car held the landspeed record...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Jamais_Contente
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

irc wrote:Some quotes from the interview
“batteries are not scalable” min 11.05

I do hope he's told Elon Musk...
What's the system they're putting into Australia at the moment...

It's a 129MWh battery - to stabilise the grid.

That's the thing about statements of capability - they are outdated pretty much as soon as they are made.

An earlier battery (in California) is an 80MWh battery with a 20MW power capacity (i.e. a four hour max power system) has been running for a while now, and I *think* it's running pretty well (at least I can't find any reports that it isn't, and you'd expect the power company to be vocally cross with Tesla if it wasn't)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Battery technology developments covered in the second half of the 30 minute version of BBC Click, including Jeeva Wireless's battery-free phone, a Toshiba predicted 6 minute charge 200 mile range battery of Titanium niobium oxide and an air based battery. Oh and Tesla.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mjr wrote:Battery technology developments covered in the second half of the 30 minute version of BBC Click, including Jeeva Wireless's battery-free phone, a Toshiba predicted 6 minute charge 200 mile range battery of Titanium niobium oxide and an air based battery. Oh and Tesla.

Whilst a 6 minute charge is technically feasible it requires a charging station capable of delivering over half a megawatt. (Assuming 60kw equals 200 miles).
I doubt there'll be many of those on your average street.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

The day of the electric car has arrived......... and sadly it's the same situation as the old cars:-

http://www.cumbriacrack.com/2017/11/14/tributes-paid-cyclist-killed-high-shincliffe-crash/
mjr

Post by mjr »

kwackers wrote:
mjr wrote:Battery technology developments covered in the second half of the 30 minute version of BBC Click, including Jeeva Wireless's battery-free phone, a Toshiba predicted 6 minute charge 200 mile range battery of Titanium niobium oxide and an air based battery. Oh and Tesla.

Whilst a 6 minute charge is technically feasible it requires a charging station capable of delivering over half a megawatt. (Assuming 60kw equals 200 miles).

Would give the petrol stations a reason to continue existing... although maybe not have half-megawatts being transferred at the same ones that still sell oil-based fuels...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

kwackers wrote:

I was chatting about this on another Forum and this sort of technology (perhaps not 6 mins...) will be suited to the major routes like Mway Services etc to facilitate the long journeys that is where the public perception of electric power currently falls down.