bolt cutters

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bertgrower

bolt cutters

Post by bertgrower »

I seeking a pair of bolt cutters to cut mudguard stays.

I been told to purchase Irwin Record version size 12 inch.

It was suggested that a second hand copy are better than the newer china made ones.

Question
Can anybody point me the correct direction and or any comment about my advise.
robgul

Re: bolt cutters

Post by robgul »

These http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/draper-stra ... gJGjvD_BwE work for cutting stays (I cut a couple today - and they also cut spokes very easily . . I also hacked the hub out of a damaged wheel that was being rebuilt with new spokes and rim today)

I've had mine for about 6 or 7 years and cut a lot of stuff with them - still work a treat.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I have the 18" Forge Steel from Screwfix. Turned my mudguard fitting World around:)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Use these myself. Work well, last well. Got issued with mine by a firm I worked for worked years ago so they didn't cost me anything. https://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/36-900mm-936 ... rs-obc1r36
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

I use 6 inch ones from poundland and I have to press very hard, always wish I had got around to getting a decent pair with longer handles. Definitely need to where eye protectors because with mine the off cuts depart at high speed.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Try using a cheap plumbers tube cutter. Not really designed for the job but the one I use gives a neat rounded cut. Probably doesn't do the cutting disc much good but I've used mine a few times now and it cuts through SKS stainless stays pretty swiftly.

Something like this:

http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-tube- ... 157_BQ.prd

I purchased mine a good few years ago so whether the quality has declined I couldn't say,

All the best, Simon
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I just work round the stay with a sharp file then snap it of with a pair of pliers when the groove is deep enough.
Nu-Fogey
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

tim_f wrote:I use 6 inch ones from poundland and I have to press very hard, always wish I had got around to getting a decent pair with longer handles. Definitely need to where eye protectors because with mine the off cuts depart at high speed.
Good advice. Alternatively place a cloth over the stay and cutters or look away. I use a pair of Draper cutters with about 12" handle - cost about a tenner.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Ash28

Post by Ash28 »

Dremmel with metal cutting disc. I wouldn't buy one especially but if you've got one it's nice to find a use for it.
The Only Cyclist In The Village
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'd suggest that for anyone who only will use them for cropping mudguards stays, shelling out for bolt croppers with 3 foot handles is overkill. (Expensive, large, and not particularly suited to small jobs.) Mudguard stays are pretty soft metal and certainly not hardened steel. I've had a small pair for some years, not much bigger than pliers, and probably considered chocolate teapot territory by anybody regularly cropping real bolts, but they are more than adequate for mudguard stays, can be used one-handed and just go in the toolbox during the long periods when there are no stays to cut. IIRC they are labelled "Record" but probably not worthy of the name. D-I-Y grade.

I was once involved in a rather sad incident when a disturbed woman "chained" herself to the ironworks outside a large Victorian prison not a million miles from here. Out came Mr Mackay with his king-size bolt croppers normally used for getting rapid access through prison bars and they wouldn't cut close enough to separate a chain you wouldn't trust to hold a large mutt.

Small can be adequate, if not always beautiful.

(Edited to correct a typo.)
Last edited by thirdcrank on 4 Aug 2017, 9:56am, edited 1 time in total.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

I've always managed ok with a hacksaw, then file off the burr.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I don't know: Is £18 quid expensive for a decent tool? What will the grandkids inherit? Have some pride [emoji6]

As for a hacksaw: Good skill if you can do it, but I can never get the kerf where I want it and it just scags up the rest of the metal where I've bounced about trying to make purchase. With bolt cutters I have a neat, smart set up.

Why spend a fortune on a bike and then don't finish it off properly? Attention to detail.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

bertgrower wrote:I seeking a pair of bolt cutters to cut mudguard stays.

I been told to purchase Irwin Record version size 12 inch.

It was suggested that a second hand copy are better than the newer china made ones.

Question
Can anybody point me the correct direction and or any comment about my advise.

Those are not cheap, but work very well.
They are only 8" long but the action is good and if you cut close to the fulcrum you need one hand only :D

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216 ... rtID=20523
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

tim_f wrote:I use 6 inch ones from poundland and I have to press very hard, always wish I had got around to getting a decent pair with longer handles. Definitely need to where eye protectors because with mine the off cuts depart at high speed.

Put a rag on top :idea:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote:I'd suggest that for anyone who only will use them for cropping mudguards stays, shelling out for bolt croppers with 3 foot handles is overkill. (Expensive, large, and not particularly suited to small jobs.)

And I'd suggest that for anyone who already has a pair of large bolt croppers shelling out for a small pair merely to cut mudguard stays is a waste of money.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker