Why can't cyclists spell?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Isn't it about time the forum had a spell checker?

It's difficult to read all those posts were peeple discribe wear fay've been, without a grimace :wink: .
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Plenty of pedants on here to pick your posts apart, so no need [emoji6]
karlt

Re: Why can't cyclists spell?

Post by karlt »

Just spell "pedalling" right (peddling is selling) and I'll be happy. That and learning the difference between "lose" and "loose"
John1054

Post by John1054 »

Some of the posts read more comically with the mistakes.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I wish that people would stop saying things such as 'you will be walking up the hills in that gear' or '23mm tyres will rattle your fillings out' when they mean 'I would be walking up the hills in that gear' and '23mm tyres will rattle out my fillings'.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

I've read cycling books on Kindle where 'pedal' is constantly spelt 'peddle'. It drives me nuts!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Creative spelling I love it. :wink: :wink: How many creatively different ways are there to spell 'station'?
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

One regular of course is breaking performance, there are some destructive people out there - must be due to not using their brakes!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Obviously it's not just cyclists as observed when on other forums.
There was a time (recently) where children were being taught to spell like it sounded. [i](Or not being corrected if spelt wrong)
Perhaps current misspellings or misuse are a product of that ?
It does grate when I come across misused words and one for me is "brought" when it should be "bought".
Nowadays I rely on a spell checker as the old memory is fading but I always have had trouble with certain words and a main one is parallel. :oops:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

A word of defence (actually lots of words), spell checkers on people's devices, often with an American bias, don't help.

I'm more troubled by abbreviations and first letter initials, eg AFAIK. You get to know most after a while, but some just confound me.
Last edited by simonhill on 4 Aug 2017, 8:55am, edited 1 time in total.
karlt

Post by karlt »

cycleruk wrote:Obviously it's not just cyclists as observed when on other forums.
There was a time (recently) where children were being taught to spell like it sounded. [i](Or not being corrected if spelt wrong)

The accepted practice is for children to make a best guess if they don't know the spelling rather than interrupt their train of thought whilst doing creative work. Correcting the spellings comes after getting the ideas down, but it's still done.

It does grate when I come across misused words and one for me is "brought" when it should be "bought".

To her dying day my mother could never grasp this. "Bought" just didn't exist in her lexicon - in her idiolect the past tense and past participle of "buy" just was "brought". You couldn't shift it. It's all about mishearing in childhood; I swear she also used to eat cold slaw (well, it is served cold, isn't it?), difficult people were "Obsctroculous" and if she wasn't sure whether something would happen it would be said that "it awe depends". She was dyslexic; never knew if there was any kind of link.

Nowadays I rely on a spell checker as the old memory is fading but I always have had trouble with certain words and a main one is parallel. :oops:

*bias (previous post). Interestingly a lot of people struggle with "bias" and "biased". And don't, please, get me started on the difference between "infer" and "imply".
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Breaks instead of Brakes is another favourite!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

pedalsheep wrote:I've read cycling books on Kindle where 'pedal' is constantly spelt 'peddle'. It drives me nuts!

Ooo! Any Kindle recommendations? I've just finished a Stephen King novel (Green Mile) and I am in between books.

Thank you [emoji4]
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Funny life comparisons: Bushcraft forums have dreadful spelling compared to cycling ones.

Maybe cycling brings more Johnny Foreigners like me to the surface. And we all know we speak 'Queens' better than the locals.

Innit?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

cycleruk wrote:Obviously it's not just cyclists as observed when on other forums.

A friend was taught this way at junior school, they could not understand why she could not spell when at senior school and it was seriously going to affect how she would be graded at '0'level, for Biology we were told if we were on a marginal between grades score, looking back at spelling would make the difference being graded up or down.

But spell checkers, americanised ones, and anticipatory spellings by devices can contribute to poor spelling. I know I have 'written' something via my phone and posted then wondered how on earth a word I had spelt correctly was re-spelt to something else.
We do need to remember that some may have dyslexia. Some of the poor spelling / grammar maybe due to English not being a first language.
Yes I do cringe at poor spelling, and can be a pedant, but then remember how my own device can re-spell something... if i am not vigilant in checking before clicking on post and try to be a little more forgiving.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells