Narrowly avoided being knocked off my bicycle by a dangerous pick-up truck

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
landsurfer

Re: Narrowly avoided being knocked off my bicycle by a dangerous pick-up truck

Post by landsurfer »

atlas_shrugged wrote:The truck was a bad driver who was going for an overtaking gap that was not there. .

Maybe we have watched different footage but the OP posted footage of a cyclist riding very close to the left and possibly, unintentionally, providing an overtaking gap.
Personally, knowing the area, i would have been mid lane, controlling the traffic behind me.
It was obviously an unnerving event for the OP, but don't fall in to the easy trap of saying all motorists are wrong ...thoughtless, possibly careless behaviour does mean intent to injure ..... and i suspect >90% of posters on this site are motorists.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
boliston

Post by boliston »

always best to "take the lane" when it is narrow an overtakes would be dangerous - i was just looking at a video yesterday of a cyclist nearly wiped out by a double decker passing ultra close as he did not "take the lane" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMeJxAlMbek
bigoliver

Post by bigoliver »

landsurfer wrote:
atlas_shrugged wrote:The truck was a bad driver who was going for an overtaking gap that was not there. .

Maybe we have watched different footage but the OP posted footage of a cyclist riding very close to the left and possibly, unintentionally, providing an overtaking gap.
Personally, knowing the area, i would have been mid lane, controlling the traffic behind me.
It was obviously an unnerving event for the OP, but don't fall in to the easy trap of saying all motorists are wrong ...thoughtless, possibly careless behaviour does mean intent to injure ..... and i suspect >90% of posters on this site are motorists.

I assumed he means they was no overtaking gap in front?

This one way road has 2 lanes, so I would have only been able to block the vehicle behind me if he was using the left lane, I wrongly assumed he would be using the right lane otherwise no safe gaps between vehicles which is what he did.

A friend of a friend is a barrister and, after watching they video said this about it...

"You should report it - it's a close pass in breach of Highway Code, Rules 163, 167 & 212 which constitutes an offence of careless driving. The police are taking these matters seriously at the moment - 'Operation Close Pass'

http://www.roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/5516.html "

Though I choose not to get the police involved

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my LG-H870DS using hovercraft full of eels.
bigoliver

Post by bigoliver »

boliston wrote:always best to "take the lane" when it is narrow an overtakes would be dangerous - i was just looking at a video yesterday of a cyclist nearly wiped out by a double decker passing ultra close as he did not "take the lane" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMeJxAlMbek

That's brilliant advice that I will use in future.

Partly why I stuck to the left is because there is a cycle part painted to the left, I stayed in the cycle part at all times.

It's dangerous of the council to encourage cyclists to stick to the left when taking the lane is much safer

I imagine if I don't stick to the cycle section/lane and I have another near miss or worst. People will say should have been in the cycle section and that's what it is for lol.

Can't do right for doing wrong lol

NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Bonefishblues wrote:By way of constructive feedback, I think you were a little too close to the kerb, which in turn encouraged him to come past, and once past then, as for most passes of all vehicles, you were gone from his mind, sadly.

2ND that, but we all know how you feel.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
bigoliver

Post by bigoliver »

This cycle area to the left is partly why i was so far over to the left. ImageImage

Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

That driver should never have overtaken there.

How to complain about bad driving is another thread with some good information.

That cycle lane is a waste of paint. I would write to the highways authority (East Riding Yorkshire Council?) and ask them to remove that cycle lane.

Lastly, get yourself a book called Cyclecraft by John Franklin. It's available from TSO. Your local library might have a copy, too.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

I think it's also worthy of note that there is some evidence to suggest that painted cycling infrastructure encourages motorists to pass somewhat closer and faster than they would do in the absence of the painted lines, regardless of cyclist road position.

Consequently, if it was a regular journey I would personally be looking for a nearby alternative route without the magic paint...
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

landsurfer wrote:
eileithyia wrote:Rather than this site you have used, I would report it to the police along with your footage as evidence of the poor driving.

And i am sure that once they get through todays crop of drug offences, murders, domestic abuse, child safeguarding, burglary, fatal RTA's they will give it their full attention .....
I think as a group in society, as cyclists, we should come to terms with how non events are dealt with by the Police .... nearly hit means wasn't hit..... almost knocked over means wasn't knocked over ....
Unless your carted away in bits by a blue flashing light they have "better" things to do with their resource.

Reduced budgets mean they have to triage demands upon them and we have to understand that .... I am sure most of us do .... :(
Of course we could just agree to pay more tax, end health care for those not entitled, imprison anyone that voluntarily stands for public office, stop giving huge amounts of foreign aid to countries with space programmes and nuclear weapons. et al ..

We as a family have had an inordinate amount of contact and support from South Yorks Police over the last 3 months. If that support had been diverted because a fellow cyclist "had nearly had an accident" .... And exposed my daughter and her 3 children to the death threats they faced, how would that have been fair or reasonable ....

Well I am sorry you feel that way, this is also a potential serious incident, and on the basis of similar video evidence to this we (as a cycling family) have had 3 section 59 notices issued this year alone, the police are taking these seriously, well some are... and will probably be a different division to the family police you have dealt with. The next road user this dtiver encounters might not be so lucky and it is always a good idea to nip bad driving in the bud before they get worse.
Last edited by eileithyia on 6 Aug 2017, 8:30am, edited 1 time in total.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's not always clear from pics but I get the impression that the left-hand lane is so narrow that a driver can only stay within it if they enter the cycle lane. That narrowness must surely act to encourage drivers into the cycle lane to maintain their own lane discipline in respect of the right-hand lane. It's hard to see any purpose in the cycle lane, other than its existence being a demonstration of a badly thought out policy to promote cycling. It looks to me as though this unpleasant incident is a pretty graphic illustration of the danger such shoddy provision causes.

During the overtaking manoeuvre, the driver appears to observe the cycle lane - to have got any closer would have involved contact with the rider - and only moves into their nearside where the cycle lane is discontinuous. It may be that without the "guidance" of the cycle lane, the driver might not have passed so closely. That manoeuvre looks bad in the vid and I assume that without the usual wide-angle lens effect of increasing apparent distance, the actual distance will have been much smaller ie this was even worse than it appears. Only guessing, but had the rider ignored the cycle lane we might have had some tooting or possibly worse.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

landsurfer wrote:
eileithyia wrote:Rather than this site you have used, I would report it to the police along with your footage as evidence of the poor driving.

And i am sure that once they get through todays crop of drug offences, murders, domestic abuse, child safeguarding, burglary, fatal RTA's they will give it their full attention .....
I think as a group in society, as cyclists, we should come to terms with how non events are dealt with by the Police .... nearly hit means wasn't hit..... almost knocked over means wasn't knocked over ....
Unless your carted away in bits by a blue flashing light they have "better" things to do with their resource.

Reduced budgets mean they have to triage demands upon them and we have to understand that .... I am sure most of us do .... :(
Of course we could just agree to pay more tax, end health care for those not entitled, imprison anyone that voluntarily stands for public office, stop giving huge amounts of foreign aid to countries with space programmes and nuclear weapons. et al ..

We as a family have had an inordinate amount of contact and support from South Yorks Police over the last 3 months. If that support had been diverted because a fellow cyclist "had nearly had an accident" .... And exposed my daughter and her 3 children to the death threats they faced, how would that have been fair or reasonable ....

Threats, so they weren't harmed?

By your own logic nothing had happened.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

bigoliver wrote:This cycle area to the left is partly why i was so far over to the left. ImageImage

The lane isn't even wide enough to paint a logo in. I'd be outside it completely

(Just to add a voice to the 'not your fault, but you can still learn from it' brigade)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Here's the streetview - complete with a cyclist. That view is dated August 2016 when the street is two-way. It seems, therefore that this mess is a recently installed mess. If the OP were to report this to the highway authority complete with vid, they might remove the bike lane. At the very least, if they don't and somebody else goes under the wheels of a vehicle, he'll know that he did his best.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.08187 ... 312!8i6656

As the A64 was "improved" over the years, with bypasses around such bottlenecks as Tadcaster, York and Malton, my dear old dad used to say that drivers simply got to Brid quicker and as there were more of them, they could queue round the town looking for somewhere to park, rather than stew en route. :lol: Brid's not the popular seaside resort with us Wessies* that it used to be but the motor traffic has still grown, like everywhere else so self-defeating attempts are made to increase capacity.

* Wessies are inhabitants of the former West Riding attracted to Brid for holidays and retirement.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

No, the ones who are there for retirement are cumfers, as in 'cum fer the week, stayed for life'. I grew up in Brid and it has always had a parking problem, everyone wants to park in the town centre and there aren't any town centre car parks, so everyone cues around driving around trying to find spaces. Then everything the council do seems to reduce the number of available spaces. They built a town centre shopping centre and didn't have the sense to build a multi-storey car park along with it. I've not been there since just after they started changing the directions of the roads in the town centre but I haven't seen any positive comments about the changes.

They are planning on extending the harbour to a marina, but as they've been planning it since 1968 I'm not overly optimistic that it will happen. 1968!
bigoliver

Post by bigoliver »

thirdcrank wrote:Here's the streetview - complete with a cyclist. That view is dated August 2016 when the street is two-way. It seems, therefore that this mess is a recently installed mess. If the OP were to report this to the highway authority complete with vid, they might remove the bike lane. At the very least, if they don't and somebody else goes under the wheels of a vehicle, he'll know that he did his best.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.08187 ... 312!8i6656

As the A64 was "improved" over the years, with bypasses around such bottlenecks as Tadcaster, York and Malton, my dear old dad used to say that drivers simply got to Brid quicker and as there were more of them, they could queue round the town looking for somewhere to park, rather than stew en route. [emoji38] Brid's not the popular seaside resort with us Wessies* that it used to be but the motor traffic has still grown, like everywhere else so self-defeating attempts are made to increase capacity.

* Wessies are inhabitants of the former West Riding attracted to Brid for holidays and retirement.

It seems this road attracted a lot of complaints from cyclists when it re-opened, calling it a death trap.

Here is a Bridlington Councillor, John Copsey, and cyclists. Complaining about it the day the road reopened...Image