Calling all Trangia fans!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
simonineaston

Calling all Trangia fans!

Post by simonineaston »

Hi folks, something has been bothering me, Trangia-wise, since I don't know when! As I pack for my quick-dip-into-Huntingdonshire trip at the week-end, I face the usual dilema - my Trangia packs into a neat bundle, consisting of: the lid/fry-pan, the two halves of the stand/windshield, the saucepan (I don't bother with two) the burner & the handle, all kept together by the strap - bingo! Now, as ever, my lovely little Trangia kettle is left out in the cold, shunned by the rest of the bits - can it be that the Trangia designer meant it this way? Surely they meant for the kettle to nest neatly, along with all the other bits?? What do other Trangia fans do with their kettle when it comes to packing? I have the 27 set.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
meic

Re: Calling all Trangia fans!

Post by meic »

I have the 27 with the kettle, I bought the version with the kettle because it was about £1.50 more than the one without. The kettle is so small that it has remained in the box that the Trangia came in and has never been allowed out on any adventures with the rest of the Trangia.
Yma o Hyd
gaz

Post by gaz »

Quite some time since I travelled with my Trangia 27 but I'm certain the kettle packs inside, with meths burner in the kettle.
[youtube]zGvi-h_0QkI[/youtube]
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

meic wrote:I have the 27 with the kettle, I bought the version with the kettle because it was about £1.50 more than the one without. The kettle is so small that it has remained in the box that the Trangia came in and has never been allowed out on any adventures with the rest of the Trangia.
That's interesting! I was given the kettle by a mate who burnt the plastic on the handle and gave up on it in a strop - I reckon I must have the larger kettle (it is definitely big enough for decent mug of tea for two people) - that would explain everything!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

As above. Mine all packs neatly into one package. Albeit a noisy one.
tad

Post by tad »

Yup, I have a 27 and a 25. The kettles fit inside in both instances and the burners fit inside the kettles. I make sure that the burner is drained/burned out (then cooled) and in a sealed plastic bag before packing it in the kettle otherwise you end up with tea tasting of meths.
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Hi all,

+1 on the burner in the kettle in the pot.

But where does the handle go?

I've been putting mine alongside the kettle (with a small flint) and the result is an uneven pan bottom!

Any input?

Thanks!

Frank
tad

Post by tad »

I put the handle on top of the kettle with the grabby bit pointing downwards if that makes sense? I also use one of the multidiscs, very good for chopping, straining and protecting the fryingpan surface when everything is packed away.

Would a picture help? I can take one if you need it.
Abradable Chin

Post by Abradable Chin »

May I jump in with a Trangia question?
I bought the "Go Systems" gas converter (I know a purist wouldn't do this). The cylinder of gas lies horizontal with the flexible pipe connecting it to the burner, so sometimes it supplies liquid, and sometimes it supplies gas. It seems to go like a rocket when taking liquid, and water boils in a minute or so, but is this what the designers intended? Is it a liquid burner or a gas burner?
gaz

Post by gaz »

Abradable Chin wrote:I bought the "Go Systems" gas converter (I know a purist wouldn't do this).

My own trangia has been converted from meths, just like its owner :wink: .
Abradable Chin wrote:The cylinder of gas lies horizontal with the flexible pipe connecting it to the burner

:? There's no need to have the cylinder horizontal: https://www.campingandleisure.co.uk/gos ... gLHOPD_BwE
Abradable Chin wrote:so sometimes it supplies liquid, and sometimes it supplies gas.

It's a gas cylinder. There's a pre-heating loop before the burner. I can't see it supplying liquid at normal temperature and pressure.
Abradable Chin wrote:It seems to go like a rocket when taking liquid, and water boils in a minute or so, but is this what the designers intended? Is it a liquid burner or a gas burner?

It certainly goes like a rocket when compared to meths. In usage I've noticed some deterioration as the cylinder empties, despite assurances printed on the cylinder that it's designed to prevent such effects.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

gaz wrote:Quite some time since I travelled with my Trangia 27 but I'm certain the kettle packs inside, with meths burner in the kettle.

does this not mean that your tea sometimes ends up tasting of meths? IIRC it is less easy to clean the kettle out than it is to clean the pans out. BTW if you use alcool a bruler (or similar), it doesn't taste so bad if it contaminates your kettle/pans, but it is still poisonous....

NB re gas cylinders; IIRC the usual butane or propane/butane mix (that is liquid at pressures that are acceptable inside a lightweight, thin-walled container) is always very temperature sensitive, so doesn't work well at low temperatures. Also because there is usually a phase change inside the cylinder (from liquid to gas) the gas cylinder will cool itself the longer it is used. When it gets near empty the pressure will go down anyway. Finally if you let liquid gas out of the cylinder into the delivery line, as the stove heats up, the pressure in the burner can run away with itself to some extent; this may or may not actually be dangerous.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I never keep the burner inside the pans/kettle. Don't see any point taking the risk. Inside the plastic bag and then inside a small plastic container packed separately inside a pannier.
Love my Trangia, only regret is buying the bigger one first for solo camping.Now use the 27 and it's just perfect.
on my recent trip by the by a nice kinda impressed guy in Norfolk thought that my meths bottle on the bikebuddy (top marks for that also) was a fire extinguisher!
Sweep
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Now use the 27 and it's just perfect...
I agree, except for the observation that my larger kettle doesn't fit in the 27 nest! :shock:
re fuel flasks and fire extinguishers, me and a chum were camping up on the cliffs overlooking Looe in Cornwall, years ago, when I asked him to top up the meths burner, which he did... I assumed he'd carry out the usual precautions, like making sure the flame was out... but he just unscrewed the bung off the nearly-full sigg bottle and upended it over the hot burner (we had just come back from the pub), with the result that there was loud whooof and a burst of flame you could probably see in the Channel Isles! Lord knows how we both escaped immolation!
S
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Abradable Chin wrote:May I jump in with a Trangia question?
I bought the "Go Systems" gas converter (I know a purist wouldn't do this). The cylinder of gas lies horizontal with the flexible pipe connecting it to the burner, so sometimes it supplies liquid, and sometimes it supplies gas. It seems to go like a rocket when taking liquid, and water boils in a minute or so, but is this what the designers intended? Is it a liquid burner or a gas burner?

It's intended as a gas burner, but the preheat loop in the flame means that it will also burn the liquid gas OK, provided that it's been lit for 20-30 seconds to allow the preheat loop to warm up. There's a considerable difference in required valve setting between gas and liquid.

Whether you get gas or liquid depends on which way up the gas canister is. With the regular camping stove screw-on canisters, it's fairly obvious that you get gas when the valve is at the top and liquid when the valve is at the bottom, but with a long cylinder used more or less horizontally it's less obvious.

If it's a blowtorch cylinder with a standard screw-on valve, it will depend on the level of liquid gas in the cylinder, and if the level is close to the valve you may get the feed changing from gas to liquid and back every time the cylinder gets knocked.

If it's a cheap cylinder (similar to an aerosol spray can with the top pulled off) used with an adapter, it depends which side of the cylinder is upwards. The cylinders take their gas via a tube that's sprung to touch the middle of one side, and the cylinders have a notch in the ring around the valve (visible just in front of the left side of the red cap in the linked cylinder image) that ensures they fit in the stoves for which they are intended with the outlet tube touching the top side of the cylinder, giving a gas feed. I don't use the things myself, but I think the notch should be on top. Many adapters don't take account of the notch, can be used any way up, and may even hide the notch position.
meic

Post by meic »

Brucey wrote:
gaz wrote:Quite some time since I travelled with my Trangia 27 but I'm certain the kettle packs inside, with meths burner in the kettle.

does this not mean that your tea sometimes ends up tasting of meths? IIRC it is less easy to clean the kettle out than it is to clean the pans out. BTW if you use alcool a bruler (or similar), it doesn't taste so bad if it contaminates your kettle/pans, but it is still poisonous....

NB re gas cylinders; IIRC the usual butane or propane/butane mix (that is liquid at pressures that are acceptable inside a lightweight, thin-walled container) is always very temperature sensitive, so doesn't work well at low temperatures. Also because there is usually a phase change inside the cylinder (from liquid to gas) the gas cylinder will cool itself the longer it is used. When it gets near empty the pressure will go down anyway. Finally if you let liquid gas out of the cylinder into the delivery line, as the stove heats up, the pressure in the burner can run away with itself to some extent; this may or may not actually be dangerous.

cheers

It may have a much nicer bouquet but it still tastes vile, I havent had a tasting session comparing the two vintages but you still notice when you get some contamination transferred via your fingers.
Yma o Hyd