Bike for 11 year old boy

fergaljpc

Bike for 11 year old boy

Post by fergaljpc »

My son would like a road bike or cycle cross bike for his birthday. He is 11 years old and cycling proficient. Any ideas where to look (besides here) or indeed if anyone has something for sale. Many thanks.
gaz

Re: Bike for 11 year old boy

Post by gaz »

Welcome to the forum.

Try this thread for ideas about brands to consider new / used.

Keep an eye on the For Sale boards here, ebay, gumtree, etc and / or post a Wanted ad.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

HALFORDS do the Wiggins bikes. Isla luath is another option.
NUKe

Post by 100%JR »

Depends what he will use it for.
Wiggins
Hoy
Frog
Islabikes
All around the £300-£450 mark,light with kid specific levers/cranks etc and perfectly capable on/off road(Except Wiggins they're Road only)
My son(nearly 10) races both Road circuit and Cross on his Frog.
Next step up are Scatto £600-£1000 depending on spec.If serious about racing then ideal.
Quite a few manufacturers are doing XXS frames with 700 wheels now(Scatto,Wiggins) so although can be thought of as expensive they'll last a couple of growth spurts.
Wiggins too new to speculate but resale on Frog/Islabikes/Scatto is surprising.
Typically a 18-24 month old Frog/Islabikes that cost £450 new will sell for £300-£320!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

ibbo68 wrote:Depends what he will use it for.
Wiggins
Hoy
Frog
Islabikes
All around the £300-£450 mark,light with kid specific levers/cranks etc and perfectly capable on/off road(Except Wiggins they're Road only)

If you can point me out a cycling-keen 11 year old boy who wouldn't be quite happy to take a "road bike" pretty much anywhere he could point it I'd be quite surprised!

It would be vastly better off-road than the Raleigh Olympus I rode through the woods/streams etc as a teenager, as the brakes would actually have some stopping power...

(and if you swap the tyres for something a little wider and knobblier it should make an okay 'cross bike, there really isn't the need to get hung up on fine tuning at this point IMHO)

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

pjclinch wrote:
ibbo68 wrote:Depends what he will use it for.
Wiggins
Hoy
Frog
Islabikes

If you can point me out a cycling-keen 11 year old boy who wouldn't be quite happy to take a "road bike" pretty much anywhere he could point it I'd be quite surprised!

It would be vastly better off-road than the Raleigh Olympus I rode through the woods/streams etc as a teenager, as the brakes would actually have some stopping power...

(and if you swap the tyres for something a little wider and knobblier it should make an okay 'cross bike, there really isn't the need to get hung up on fine tuning at this point IMHO)

Pete.

All except the Wiggins have Canti-Brakes and will take wider tyres.The Wiggins has a narrow carbon fork and caliper brakes and you wouldn't get much wider than a 28mm tyre on there due to clearance issues.(I know this as my mate works for Halfords and his lad has one and a dedicated CX bike also for this reason)
If he just wants a bike "to go down the woods" then you're right about fine tuning.If,like my lad,he wants to Race and be competetive then fine tuning is something you do need to look at.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Moda do a nice CX bike. Happen to know as a club mate is selling one with 24" wheels.
laager

Post by laager »

Last edited by laager on 20 Apr 2018, 12:00am, edited 1 time in total.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I'm really wanting that last pic to go with the wee lassie on the blue bike turning out to be the next Katie Archibald and leaving 461 eating her dust...
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...