exped down mat - short life

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
wearwell

exped down mat - short life

Post by wearwell »

We bought a couple of these. They are brilliant except for short life. They both failed, internally not through puncture. One squirts out down and is hard to deflate (blocked inside), the other leaks from a seam.
Unfortunately outside guarantee period.
I guess we had about 50 nights on them.
Pity, because otherwise they are brilliant - even keeping us warm in a wet flooded tent.
Gattonero

Re: exped down mat - short life

Post by Gattonero »

Sounds like you had a bad batch? Try to speak with the distributor, you may at least get a discount.

It's annoying when those things happen, isn't it? My kettle starts leaking one week after the warranty expired, the shop says I could send it to the manufacturer but P&P is on me, so I may as well add another tenner and get a new one :?
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

You have more rights than just the guarantee period.

There is also a fit for purpose test. Could be worth following up if you think the product hasn't lasted a reasonable time. Your local Council or Citizens Advice could probably advise, but it is almost certainly somewhere on the web.
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

Gattonero wrote:Sounds like you had a bad batch? Try to speak with the distributor, you may at least get a discount.

It's annoying when those things happen, isn't it? My kettle starts leaking one week after the warranty expired, the shop says I could send it to the manufacturer but P&P is on me, so I may as well add another tenner and get a new one :?
They were different models bought at different times from different suppliers. - and they had different faults!
My wife had hers much longer than mine, before it started losing feathers. My leak occurred much quicker.
I think they are a bit high tech and pushed too near the limit.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

wearwell wrote:
Gattonero wrote:Sounds like you had a bad batch? Try to speak with the distributor, you may at least get a discount.

They were different models bought at different times from different suppliers. - and they had different faults! ....

Sorry, wasn't clear from the OP.
I've dealt with a couple of Exped things before and they were helpful sorting it out.

Good luck!
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

If you have not been inflating them with your mouth which invalidates any guarantee you need to contact the distributers. These are Lyon Equipment https://lyon.co.uk/outdoor a good contact is Joanne if she still works there. Tell her the problem I am sure she or others there may help you. They are a good company.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
PH

Post by PH »

I'm on my third synmat, one replaced under warranty, the other binned mid tour (It was a couple of years old) Current one has a bulge, but is still usable.
There is a problem with the design that there's no way of overcoming with current HF PVC welding equipment. if you look at anything else made with PVC fabric (Ortlieb panniers are a good example) every seam ends with a hem or T piece, that's because if it's allowed to peel there's nothing to stop it continuing. With internal joins there's no way to seal the ends. It's well known among fabricators (I used to make tarpaulins and marquees) the person who works out a way of overcoming it would quickly get rich! That's not to say every airbed will fail, just that it's more likely with this design than others.
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

I recently replaced a Exped blow up pillow (after at least 5 years) because the welding that makes a 'dimple' on the top had failed.

Reading the instructions on the new one I learnt that I should take care not to leave it inflated in the heat of day.

I suspect that expansion of hot air strained it.

Will be care full with new one.
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

PH wrote:I'm on my third synmat, one replaced under warranty, the other binned mid tour (It was a couple of years old) Current one has a bulge, but is still usable.
There is a problem with the design that there's no way of overcoming with current HF PVC welding equipment. if you look at anything else made with PVC fabric (Ortlieb panniers are a good example) every seam ends with a hem or T piece, that's because if it's allowed to peel there's nothing to stop it continuing. With internal joins there's no way to seal the ends. It's well known among fabricators (I used to make tarpaulins and marquees) the person who works out a way of overcoming it would quickly get rich! That's not to say every airbed will fail, just that it's more likely with this design than others.
That's interesting and the explanation is more or less what I expected.
But they are marvellous compared to the alternatives (Lilo, Karrimat, etc) maybe just have to accept the risk of a shortish life and the cost!
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Hmmm ... I've just bought a synmat UL as an alternative to two Thermarest Evolites, which both failed (same way) while nearly new. I wonder how long it will last...
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

I've got a Synmat UL that I've now had for 5 years, it has probably averaged around 20 nights per year. Still going strong, maybe I got lucky? I don't tend to inflate it very hard, but I do use it with a chair kit, which gives it a pretty hard time. I must say I've been very, very pleased with it and would certainly get another if/when it fails.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

I'm on my third Synmat UL7 too. The first two both failed with the dreaded bulge, one after about 40 nights, the other 5 nights or so later. I was still in warranty and couldn't fault the service: I had a mat replaced whilst on tour in Germany by arranging a swap out at a local Exped dealership; when it happened again I got a full refund from the shop I bought it from.

I didn't camp for a few years but needed to buy a new mat recently. The UL7 still was the right choice for me as it's just so comfy, and I've just accepted the fact they may not last a long time. Still, the mat pays for itself after a few nights avoiding western European hotel prices...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I can't get over how tolerant you exped folk seem to be over these failure rates. Is exped a deity working in mysterious ways?
Sweep
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Is there something that offers the same level of comfort, small pack size and low weight, that is more robust?
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Thermarest NeoAir Trekker. Very happy with mine after a year and a bit of service. Rolls up 'beer can' size which I like.