Riding posture - tandem

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
nicklongman

Riding posture - tandem

Post by nicklongman »

I'm trying to find a simple guide to setting up the saddle and handlebars (flat) for both captain and stoker on a tandem. Does such a document exist, if so can you point me at it..
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

I set mine up as close as possible to our individual solos.
Si

Post by Si »

I have mine a little more to the sit-up-and-beg position than on my solo.
It's better for the stoker if either they are of the taller persation or the frame isn't too long as it prevents them having to ride with their face pressed up agin the capt's back. As a capt' I also ind that this offers a little more control over the unruly beast (I mean the tandem, not Mrs Si).
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

Si wrote:I have mine a little more to the sit-up-and-beg position than on my solo.
It's better for the stoker if either they are of the taller persation or the frame isn't too long as it prevents them having to ride with their face pressed up agin the capt's back. As a capt' I also ind that this offers a little more control over the unruly beast (I mean the tandem, not Mrs Si).

When I was stoker I liked being quite upright, and was able to duck down behind the captain when there was a headwind to avoid the wind drag. (Was nice when it was raining too as I didn't get a wet face) :) I do miss being a stoker. They were great rides we had, often doing mega mileages. I am getting a new tandem soon but I will be the captain now.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

nicklongman

Back to your OP I don't think such a document exists even in relation to a solo bike. We've had various discussions on here about seat to handlebar distance and nobody has ever pointed to a book on the subject. With a tandem it's always going to be a compromise, based on the frame design. My pre-war Saxon Wings of the Wind, built in the days when there was a thing about USWB (ultra short wheelbase) had a split rear seat tube to achieve that. The captain was nearly standing up with the bars on a very long stem, while the stoker was sitting over the back axle.
MrsMothy

Post by MrsMothy »

Our positions on our Longswtaff are not only different to our positions on our half bikes but different to our positions on the Beast (Bike Friday Twosday folding tandem). I think it is down to trial and error/personal preference.

Denise

ps Hi Karen. Have you got a Twosday yet...Denise
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

MrsMothy wrote:Our positions on our Longswtaff are not only different to our positions on our half bikes but different to our positions on the Beast (Bike Friday Twosday folding tandem). I think it is down to trial and error/personal preference.

Denise

ps Hi Karen. Have you got a Twosday yet...Denise

Hi Denise,

We are expecting imminent delivery of our Twosday. I spoke to AVC on Friday and it was in the workshop being built up. They hope to send it this week. We ordered it on 26th April and were told it would be about 6 to 8 weeks. So that didn't work out as expected as it is now 12 weeks. It seems that Bike Friday have had an unexpectedly large numbers of orders this summer.

I just hope it arrives before next Friday because we are away next weekend and the following weekend we are going to the CTC Birthday Rides.

I had hoped to have time to familiarise myself with folding/unfolding and taking the wheels off(in case we have a visit from the p*nctu** fairy). I'm not used to fixing flats myself and the technical bit of owning a new and very different sort of bike is quite daunting.