bar tape help

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
hubgearfreak

bar tape help

Post by hubgearfreak »

if you had Moustache Handlebars, would you start taping from the stem, or the outer end? and why?

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Never had any, sorry, Hubbers.

However, with drops, I wrapped mine from stem to end for 20 years or more. Then I asked the question on here about end to stem and received many replies.

Too lazy to search, but it was a couple of years ago or more.

Now, because of what I read, I wrap from end to stem.
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=71

I think it's to do with how the hands grip, it's supposed to be more comfortable. Dunno really, but I'm doing as I've been told!
Mick F. Cornwall
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Mick F wrote:However, with drops, I wrapped mine from stem to end for 20 years or more.

Same here, so that the plug in the end of the bars holds the loose end. Wrapping the other way you need to tape up the loose end.
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

The way I was taught also from a Readers Digest DIY manual circa 1976 :oops:
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

on my standard drops i tape from ends to stem...just makes the end-plugs wasy to fit as the tape is neat

i can see why the shape of the bars would change how youd wrap them...but i think everybody has their own methods of fitting bartape
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
Si

Post by Si »

Why don't you start one side from the outside and the other from the inside? Just to be on the safe side, like.

What, you mean none of you have asymetrical bar tape?
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Starting at the stem is far neater, and stays put better. The problem is you can't do it that way if you've got bar end shifters.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

I only found out recently that it's supposed to be from end' to stem. Makes sense when you think about it,having the plug keep the outer end neat and tidy.

But Hubbers, have you got a Moustache or just thinking about it?
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

so the consensus is end to stem then for drop bars?

on a moustache bar i spend most of the time with my hands at the ends, which is the opposite to drops, where i spend all my time on the tops.

when riding on the tops, it makes sense to have started at the end and worked to the stem as you'd tend to smooth down the overlap rather than ruffle it up, if i'm making myself clear?

but if you spend most of the time on the ends, then to avoid tape overlap ruffleage it'd be best to start from the stem, don't you agree?

pioneer i do have some, and si, i won't be doing it asymmetrically. you're clearly a wrong'un :lol:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

hubbers

I think you are right that the issue is the direction of the overlap, more of an issue on the tops of drops than on any of the variants of flat / level / straight bars. Usually you are going to secure one end with plugs and the other with tape and it doesn't matter much to either whether they are securing the start or the finish. Donkeys' years ago a firm called Dan (?) or possibly Dare made plastic sleeves for drops. they were a so-and -so to get on but brilliant once in place.
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

Wrap in the right direction ,clockwise on the right,anticlockwise on the left.
Starting at the plugs.
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

[quote="pioneer"]I only found out recently that it's supposed to be from end' to stem. Makes sense when you think about it,having the plug keep the outer end neat and tidy.

I have lost more Plugs than I care to count. How do you keep retaining them? I have driven mine in with a mallet, and they have still gone AWOL.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I lost one recently too. I had a spare, so all ok.

Years ago, I had a pair of plugs that were tightened into the bar with an expander bolt. Can you still get them?
Mick F. Cornwall
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Just had a quick look, Chainreaction Cycles seem to have some. I used to have some cheap and cheerful one's by Raleigh years ago.
Second look, do not look suitable for Road cycles.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

hubgearfreak wrote:so the consensus is end to stem then for drop bars?

on a moustache bar i spend most of the time with my hands at the ends, which is the opposite to drops, where i spend all my time on the tops.

when riding on the tops, it makes sense to have started at the end and worked to the stem as you'd tend to smooth down the overlap rather than ruffle it up, if i'm making myself clear?

but if you spend most of the time on the ends, then to avoid tape overlap ruffleage it'd be best to start from the stem, don't you agree?

pioneer i do have some, and si, i won't be doing it asymmetrically. you're clearly a wrong'un :lol:

Hubbers
I, like TC agree with you for the same reason :0)