Shermer's neck

iain00

Shermer's neck

Post by iain00 »

I recently had to withdraw from Audak UK's LondonEdinburghLondon due to this issue. Only 100 miles from the finish, with 6 hours in hand, I could not keep my head up and see any further than a few centimetres ahead of my front wheel. I had to stop every kilometre to stretch my neck, consequently it took me an age to complete that stage. Despite advice from fellow colleagues on how to overcome this issue; inner tubes, neck brace, remove helmet etc. I opted to follow the Boot's pharmacist's advice - overuse of neck muscles, rest for a week. Additionally, there was a railway station in Spalding and I wouldn't get stuck in the middle of nowhere if I had tried to continue. What advice can anyone give for recovery and strengthening to prevent recurrence please.
:(
NUKe

Re: Shermer's neck

Post by NUKe »

Recumbent bike would solve it.? However
You pharmacist is probably right on recovery.if it doesn't heal try your doctor. Physio should be able to give you kneck stretching exercises. You're not a novice so I assume your bike setup is ok. But you might want to look at slightly higher bar position.
NUKe

Post by Paulatic »

You weren't the only one to pack because of Shermers neck. I believe one packed at Eskdalemuir because of it.
Do you know if everyone who suffered with it was wearing a helmet?
We are designed to carry our head day after day and usually without trouble. I don't think we are designed to carry 300g on our heads continually and I would imagine the further forward from perpendicular your head is then the greater the weight, because of leverage, on your head becomes.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Paulatic wrote:You weren't the only one to pack because of Shermers neck. I believe one packed at Eskdalemuir because of it.
Do you know if everyone who suffered with it was wearing a helmet?
We are designed to carry our head day after day and usually without trouble. I don't think we are designed to carry 300g on our heads continually and I would imagine the further forward from perpendicular your head is then the greater the weight, because of leverage, on your head becomes.

Yet another reason not to wear a lid. How much do they weigh, how heavy was yours, could you have been disqualified for riding without it?

You surely did right to retire instead of risking permanent damage, +1

One way to avoid trouble might be to vary the hold on the bars. I use dropped bars but I am not sure if I vary my position as often as I might
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

To the extent that you can believe Wikipedia, it seems that Michael Shermer is a sceptic/ skeptic

... Shermer is the author of books which attempt to explain the ubiquity of irrational or poorly substantiated beliefs, including UFOs, Bigfoot, and paranormal claims. In 1997, he wrote Why People Believe Weird Things, which explores a variety of "weird" ideas and groups (including cults), in the tradition of the skeptical writings of Martin Gardner. ...

but according to the same link he's also been involved in the marketing of cycling helmets:

... During the course of his cycling career, Shermer worked with cycling technologists in developing better products for the sport. During his association with Bell Helmets, a bicycle-race sponsor, Shermer advised them on design issues regarding their development of expanded-polystyrene for use in cycling helmets, which would absorb impact far better than the old leather "hairnet" helmets used by bicyclists for decades. Shermer advised them that if their helmets looked too much like motorcycle helmets, in which polystyrene was already being used, and not like the old hairnet helmets, no serious cyclists or amateur would use them. This suggestion led to their first model, the V1 Pro, which looked like a black leather hairnet, but functioned on the inside like a motorcycle helmet. ...

For whatever reason, there seems to be no mention of a connection between his eponymous medical syndrome and cycling helmets. :? Finally,

"... Politically, Shermer has described himself as a lifelong libertarian, ... " although there's nothing about where he stands on compulsory cycle helmets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Shermer

(Isn't this helmet thread in the wrong section?)
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I had a similar problem on 5x200 mile LeJoG this time last year, but getting 5 or 6 hours sleep every night was just about enough recovery. I'd like to try a 4 day, but I know I'd have to have a few hours sleep every night.

A year on I still have problems with my neck so I'm doing a 9 day LeJoG as I type. That extra time each day allows me time to stretch and recover

I have physio every couple of months if it starts to flare up, but for me I need to do my stretches and have at least a few hours sleep every night

I also have drop handlebars with aero clipons, and I do get out the saddle on most climbs. I do use the drops, the hoods, the middle of the bar and get out the saddle, changing frequently. The variety helps

I was going to do LEL but it conflicted with a family commitment, in hindsight I'm glad I didn't as I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it. I understand the weather was really tough?

It's an extreme, extreme event for the top 1% of the top 1% so respect for getting as far as you did, and I think you made the right decision
Abradable Chin

Post by Abradable Chin »

I dreamed up mirrored spectacles so that you could see forward when looking downwards, which avoids any bent neck. I never made any, though. The brain quickly learns to interpret these things.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I reckon that bike weighs in excess of 350 Ibs.
Attachments
http://www.dogguie.net/hombre-de-la-india-con-una-moto-en-la-cabeza/
http://www.dogguie.net/hombre-de-la-india-con-una-moto-en-la-cabeza/
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.