Are cycling socks a waste of money?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
steady eddy

Re: Are cycling socks a waste of money?

Post by steady eddy »

I have some "rasta" cycling socks from Brixton Cycles - my son gave them to me as a present -I just love the red yellow and green stripes - they fit pretty well to.
ian peacock

Post by ian peacock »

I wear them for racing, but have to be careful: they are often left/right specific. I once started a time trial with them on the wrong feet, and on the command "GO" I shot off backwards!
rjb

Post by rjb »

I swear by the thermal hiking socks from Poundland, they were 3 pairs for guess what - a pound :lol:
They are seasonal so may not always be available. They had them in cream, green or black. I have several pairs of the cream ones.

:wink: :roll: :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Wynne71

Post by Wynne71 »

Sounds like there are some serious bargains out there.
Looks like I will be trying a few!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I've used everything from nowt to what I now recognise as horrible knee length nylon things!

My current go to socks are Planet X Merino ankle socks - not too thick but warm in winter and comfortable in summer. Not bothered about tan lines - I go sockless with sandals longer than wearing bike shoes so its sandal lines I suffer from!

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy cycling specific socks but whatever you wear does need to be comfortable - the extra sole padding of hiking/running socks can be uncomfortable in cycling shoes.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Wynne71 wrote:That made me laugh! Wearing the tan lines of cycling with pride.

But of course, rule no 7:- tan lines will be nurtured and kept sharp.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have a daft tan line between my sandal straps.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tanned skin is damaged skin.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
RickH

Post by RickH »

philvantwo wrote:Only wear socks in the winter to keep my toes warm, never wear them in the summer and who wants a daft tan line just above their ankles?!!

(Waves arm enthusiastically in the air!) they go with the one halfway up my upper arm & the pale hands from wearing cycling mitts! :lol:
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I just buy "work" socks from Lidl when they come in - are thick and tough and longish
Wynne71

Post by Wynne71 »

Wiggle special offer, two pairs delivered for £10. Feel excellent quality.
Looking forward to giving them an outing this week.

IMG_0578.JPG
mig

Post by mig »

a cycling sock is usually one with a short hose made from cotton, polyester and lycra (or elastane if a cheaper knit.) there is nothing special about them really. sometimes the soles have a loop knit for a softer feel but that oftens flattens in use and the wash.

that said there are some high quality socks aimed at cycling - the defeet woolie boolie is one such - although they are seldom cheap.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

ian peacock wrote:I wear them for racing, but have to be careful: they are often left/right specific. I once started a time trial with them on the wrong feet, and on the command "GO" I shot off backwards!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.