Where to Cycle

TheRiddler1976

Where to Cycle

Post by TheRiddler1976 »

Hi all,

I have finally taught my son how to ride a bike! He's 9, nearly 10, and he picked it up really quickly once I finally got round to teaching him.

He needs a new bike - his current one was second hand, and is a little too small. However more importantly I'm looking for somewhere I can take him.

We are currently using our local park but he's getting a bit bored. I live in Borehamwood (south Herts, prett much where the A1 meets the M25) - any good suggestions where I can take him?

He's still getting control, so I'm looking for something relatively flat, with widish paths.
mjr

Re: Where to Cycle

Post by mjr »

TheRiddler1976 wrote:We are currently using our local park but he's getting a bit bored. I live in Borehamwood (south Herts, prett much where the A1 meets the M25) - any good suggestions where I can take him?

He's still getting control, so I'm looking for something relatively flat, with widish paths.

If you have transport or can carry the bike to the train, the park at St Albans is the best space nearby that I know. It looks like it's not easy for children to cycle away from Borehamwood until they're safe on country lanes with high speed limits and little protection, which seems a great shame.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
TheRiddler1976

Post by TheRiddler1976 »

Sorry - meant to say that I have a bike rack, so not limited to the immediate area.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Locally you have the Ebury Way between Watford and Rickmanworth, and the Alban Way between St Albans and Hatfield. They both form part of the wider network of NCN61. Also the Ayot Greenway, between Weathampstead and Welwyn Garden City is fairly close by. All of those are traffic free and can be extended or linked on quiet roads.

You might also consider the Watford Cycle Hub. They are based close to the Ebury Way and organise rides for all abilities.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I can't offer any suggestions - only commiseration. For the decade before we were married in 1967, my wife lived on Radlett Lane in Shenley. The area was so remote there was no mains electricity. I believe Shenley used to have the northernmost police station in the MPD but it could only be described as rural. Typing this I've remembered that my first solo YHA tour as a 13 year old took me up the A5 on the way to Ivinghoe YHA.

Times change. Good luck with this.
TheRiddler1976

Post by TheRiddler1976 »

thirdcrank wrote:I can't offer any suggestions - only commiseration. For the decade before we were married in 1967, my wife lived on Radlett Lane in Shenley. The area was so remote there was no mains electricity. I believe Shenley used to have the northernmost police station in the MPD but it could only be described as rural. Typing this I've remembered that my first solo YHA tour as a 13 year old took me up the A5 on the way to Ivinghoe YHA.

Times change. Good luck with this.

It's changed a lot since then!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Lee Valley near Waltham Abbey has some lovely routes free of motor vehicle traffic, places to stop and play, other things to do and see, cafes to stop at, etc.

https://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/en/co ... ed-routes/
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
hamster

Post by hamster »

Have a look at Aldenham - get the OS Landranger to help but there are quite a few decent bridleways all round the Ver-Colne valley.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Norman H wrote:Locally you have the Ebury Way between Watford and Rickmanworth, and the Alban Way between St Albans and Hatfield. They both form part of the wider network of NCN61. Also the Ayot Greenway, between Weathampstead and Welwyn Garden City is fairly close by. All of those are traffic free and can be extended or linked on quiet roads.

I agree - these are all old railway paths, so don't demand great control (whereas some other parts of the Alban Way for example go through housing estates - quiet, but you might want to start off road).
elie.w

Post by elie.w »

Don't know if it is what you are after, but we rushed our little one through learning so he was able to go on this Spain family cycling holiday on the Costa Brava. Was well worth it and the laddo really enjoyed it. Seems like you are after places in England but if you are looking to take them further afield, I highly recommend