What is the point of Tubeless tyres ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Gattonero

Re: What is the point of Tubeless tyres ?

Post by Gattonero »

reohn2 wrote:Do 29er x 3in tubes weigh so much? :shock:

Not really, but you get the point :mrgreen:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

landsurfer wrote:I know i get told off for this but ...
There is an amazing amount of "Emperors New Clothes" in cycle marketing .....
Rafts of gadgets and gizmos that exist only because they can.. not because we need them ......
And a "Cyclist and his money etc"........ :roll:

I'll tell you off. You are a mean-spirited person who takes pleasure in saying people are fools because they have tried and liked something you have no experience of.

I've never tried tubeless and I'm in no rush to try it. But I have found the discussion and information from most people to be interesting and informative. It will be useful if or when I get new wheels or a bike with tubeless setup.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Another thing to consider.

Tubeless on road bikes is a different thing from Mtb.
The latter, has become nearly universal, due to the self-sealing of small punctures like thorns, and the virtually impossible situation of a pinch-flat. those two points are a massive advantage and is no suprise is the vast majority of good Mtb's are setup tubeless now.
However, a road bike even when setup Tubeless goes with almost 4 times the pressure of an Mtb tyre. Also the is less volume of air, so the puncture protection is not as good as on a bigger tyre, though works well in most cases.
The is also to consider that the rim tape needs to be replaced almost every time a new tyre is fitted, or every few months: the high pressure creates dimples in the tape, this makes the sealing of the tyre impossible. Not a big deal, but a thing to keep in mind.

Btw, yesterday I helped a chap to replace his Schwalbe Pro1. He has done about 3k miles with no punctures at all, and you know that London streets are sprayd with glass flints :? The tyres had a good 30% left so it's not a bad mileage either for a lightweight tyre.
As said before, tubeless is not for everyone but in the right situation is a good solution.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

mark a. wrote:... saying people are fools because they have tried and liked something you have no experience of.

I've never tried tubeless and I'm in no rush to try it. But I have found the discussion and information from most people to be interesting and informative. It will be useful if or when I get new wheels or a bike with tubeless setup.

Which is very much the reason of forums: to discuss, not to criticize the way people want to spend their money by trying something new without pretending is actually going to make their life better. If planning to live as a monk, may as well give up internet?

I've tried tubeless tyres on Mtb's and road bikes, it works very well in some circumstances, it's not for everyone, and I've never heard of a shop holding the customers at gunpoint to buy it.
For me, one of the reasons I don't have it on any bikes (yet) is because it's limited life: some bikes I have may not get used for a couple of months, and since are kept indoors the sealant will expire in 3-4 months.