Shared Path Abuse...Unusual Complainer..

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

Shared Path Abuse...Unusual Complainer..

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Out today on my course which has numerous cycle routes / paths.
Met two dog walkers with three dogs each two occasions, 1st, his puppy's are more controlled at going for me and he has made an effort to kerb them, slowed right down to a walking pace and no events to mention.
2nd, one small dog on the loose but I slowed to an almost stop and the owner apologised......bit of another non event.

On a wide shared path (might not be an actual path staus sign but its for cycles as its marked such and many walkers / dogs as there is also water.
Come up behind a person (30 yrds away) so I rang my bell to get their attention, the person turned and headed for the other side of wide path (wide enough for a bus) waited and watched me, I go far on opposite side (already stopped pedalling and less than 10 mph say) plenty of room, as I pass the person mumbles a few words load enough for me to hear down the path so I stop, as I am confused as to what is wrong.

The person caught me up and said you are going too fast?
I said I dinged my bell, he mumbles yes, I said I could see you easy its not like you are a small dog...............he says I bet you hate dogs...........I said I owned dogs for 25 years..............he said you should hear what dog walkers think of cyclist on this path.................he also said its a country park for walking (shared path, nobody would be there if not for a CTC leader's wife who campaigned for 1.5 mil bridge) I said its a shared path for all................he said you cyclist don't even pay car tax and insurance........I said car tax is now emission based so you might pay none with car..............he still protested about cyclist and said again its a path for walking...................I said I will contact local press for a discussion with him and me on the actual paths correct status (cycle signs exist to enter path)........................he then said you cyclist should be on the road and knocked off by a car................ :!:

I said thanks Sir and cycled off..............he continued to mumble something as I said thankyou very much sir......................

Guess what class of person this is...................eg - child, pensioner etc :?:
Five guesses then I will tell................might surprise you.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bonefishblues

Re: Shared Path Abuse...Unusual Complainer..

Post by Bonefishblues »

Hmmmm

Random is better

Vicar?
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Is it 5 guesses each?

Someone in uniform, maybe a fireman or NHS staff.
Teenager
Person pushing a bike
Buddhist Monk
Schoolteacher, grumpy at the holidays coming to an end.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Retired colonel type of chap.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

Police officer or road safety officer
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Man in a wheel chair.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Is a wheelchair user a class of person?
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Middle-aged woman.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'm not going to get into the class thing/issue,but if he'd been as diabolical as you say,he'd have got the length of my tongue.
I've had similar interactions with some people on occassion,usually ramblers,and after announcing my arrival :) either by bell or voice,excusing myself to get past,slowing down to just faster than walking pace,giving as wide a berth as the path would allow,they've still not been happy.
I've come to the conclusion that some people are only happy being complete and utter gits,rarely but occassionally I have been known to leave such people by mentioning something ending in 'off' :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

If you look in the current edition of Walk there are articles discussing the concept of share use on FOOTPATH with cyclists. There are objection by some.

There is no need to use swear, in fact use the Yorkshire man response and agree with them to a ridiculous level . Thank them for their kind observations.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I regularly meet a man in a wheel chair on the Mineral trail from Thurcroft to Dinnington.
Self propelled.
Fast mover.
Parachute Regiment, "Long War" veteran.
We talk.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Fasgadh

Post by Fasgadh »

Had someone give me lip for riding on the Speyside Way where it is a disused railway with signs promoting cycling. I was told it was not a bridleway (Nearest one was in Northumberland, over 200km away). Did not take too kindly to being told that that nonsense stopped at the border.
She tried it again with the next bike, and it was not pretty.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Should not have said class of person (could not think of another word for persons groups etc)

Fact is that it makes no difference who you meet doing what, all people whether they are on foot or motor powered can be nasty.
But I expected a better response from another vulnerable user of the path which is for all users.

I will just think that everyone I meet in future could be nasty ( I was nearly there anyway), I am always prepared just a bit surprised at the get on the road and get knocked off by a car.................as if this person feels that being hit by a cyclist will do him harm if ever remotely it will happen...........based on stats and the fact that self preservation will probably be high on list of a cyclist hitting any object, unlike motor vehicles.
Username

Post by Username »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Man in a wheel chair.

Should have replied <inappropriate phrase removed>

When I cycled passed someone on a canal path a while back, I said "cheers" as she moved to the side to let me pass. No sooner had I done that she started ranting about me not making a noise. I replied with extreme profanity and a fingered gesture over my shoulder. I didnt even bother to stop while doing so. I bet that ruined her day, the fat old witch lol!
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

[quote="Username"
Should have replied <inappropriate phrase removed>

When I cycled passed someone on a canal path a while back, I said "cheers" as she moved to the side to let me pass. No sooner had I done that she started ranting about me not making a noise. I replied with extreme profanity and a fingered gesture over my shoulder. I didnt even bother to stop while doing so. I bet that ruined her day, the fat old witch lol!
[/quote]
Why?
Do you think your foul mouthed (not to say sexist) response is going to improve her feelings about cyclists?

We have enough difficulties with the general attitude of the public towards cyclists.
More fodder for the tabloids.