leaving Tolouse Airport by bike

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Miguel Evans

leaving Tolouse Airport by bike

Post by Miguel Evans »

Any tips on the best way to cycle away from the airport? I will be heading SW towards the Pyrenees. Any tips for good campsites within 30 miles as I will be arriving around 4pm.
thanks
keithg

Re: leaving Tolouse Airport by bike

Post by keithg »

I can't give a specific answer but I had such a traumatic start to a touring holiday in Spain, trying to make my way out of Barcelona airport by bike (and Spain is pretty relaxed about where you can cycle) that I often take a taxi or the airport shuttle/train for a few miles with the bike still packaged to get off the main arterial roads which tend to surround airports and into a suburb, the countryside or town centre. Its relatively easy to follow a bike track into an airport but can be impossible to find an appropriate way OUT by bike.
Its just a philosophical thing, using public transport where its available to make life easier.
randonneur

Post by randonneur »

First time some 25 yrs ago accidently found myself on a motorway leaving Toulouse Airport, however on more recent visits found a quiet route out on a road following the airport perimeter passing the Airbus offices and factory to the SW of the airport, and in the general direction for heading out towards the Pyrennees.
No idea on camping, but Formula 1 Motel next to the terminal was reasonably priced when I last stayed.
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

I suggest the following

Go to Open Cycle Map

Input the airport name

It will show detail map of the road and cycle route layout.
Miguel Evans

Post by Miguel Evans »

Thanks for the tips guys. The on-line maps seem to show some non-motorway routes, and there are also a couple of campsites within 10km that I may well aim for to recover from the stress of flying.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Miguel Evans wrote:Thanks for the tips guys. The on-line maps seem to show some non-motorway routes, and there are also a couple of campsites within 10km that I may well aim for to recover from the stress of flying.

Is that stress of flying, or [in my case anyway] stress of flying with a bike? :)
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

A few years ago we stayed at a hotel close to the airport perimeter. I can't remember the details but cycling into Toulouse wasn't a problem and we were able to ride the Canal du Midi cycle path from there.
We also had a pick up for the Bike Bus close by near the Motorway exit.
I would think the problematic part is leaving the airport buildings but there is probably some sort of cycle path for employees.
Blagnac airport should have a website with access details.
mjr

Post by mjr »

It looks from OSM and satellite photos like it's easiest to head for the Radisson Blu however (probably a mix of road cycling and gravel by the motorway feeder road), then use the underpass under the motorway, turn right to leave the road at a zebra crossing onto a greenway and that takes you to a big roundabout where the cycleway paralleling the motorway at first (edit: and then the Garonne) heads towards the centre of Toulouse and looks pretty big. There it connects to various other cycle routes. Please come back afterwards and write down what you found, so others may get more idea in future.
Last edited by mjr on 15 Sep 2017, 2:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

The airport looks about half a mile from the Garonne in a straight line. Using a route finder it is two miles. That has a brilliant smooth cycle path straight into the centre of Tolouse. I used it about 2 years ago. It is busy with cyclist though, but you do avoid the insane traffic. The Midi is dog rough by comparison.
pq

Post by pq »

I've never actually ridden out of Toulouse airport, but I'm there frequently in the car because we live nearby. There is a signed moped/bike route into Toulouse from the airport - but keep your wits about you as it would be easy to end up on the motorway. Toulouse isn't too bad generally on a bike - there are quite a few bike routes and while they're certainly not up to Dutch standards, some of them are fine.
As above, research beforehand is the best thing to do.
One link to your website is enough. G
whoof

Post by whoof »

A quick count up and I've ridden either to or from Toulouse airport 7 times. I've always found it relatively easy to get into/out of. As suggested try cycle travel for a turn by turn route. Our first time we just looked at a paper map and picked roads which didn't look like they would be busy apart from right near the airport (which wasn't any trouble) everything was pretty quiet.

If you are going to the Pyrenees you don't want to go into the centre Toulouse as the airport is at Blagnac and Toulouse is off to the SE. If I've had a late arrival or early departure I've always stayed at the Formule 1 as it's close-by, cheap, you can get a decent breakfast (for France) and you can put you bike in your room. There is a large Leclerc near the airport that's useful for food and camping gaz if you need it.

A quick check and there a campsite just outside Saint Lys 27 km.

https://www.domaineaupiet.nl/

and 57 km at Montpezat

http://www.campinglecheminvert.com/

I have stayed in a couple of sites around here and they were fine but they could be either, both or neither or these as I have a tendency to forget where I have been exactly.
Miguel Evans

Post by Miguel Evans »

Thanks for all the tips. I did not have time to properly prepare a route, and did almost end up on the motorway. You have to go to the east across the motorway on exiting the airport, and then cross back to head off to the southwest. The nice thing about not planning is having to ask the locals, who were all charming and put me on to the campsite at St Martin de Touche. The route out of there was fairly quiet on a Sunday morning, but a lot busier coming back in on a Friday night. Did have a great two weeks wandering the Pyrenees and camping. The lack of any plans helped keep options open and made sure that I did indeed see things from personal recommendation that I might otherwise have missed.