Mirrors...

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Mirrors...

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Second failed mirracycle, shouldn't grumble, they are 6+ years old...

However, they both failed at the same place - the junction between the two arms... the nursert just falls out...

I replaced one with a cheaper mirror, but I don't particularly like the convex mirror or the short final 'arm'.

Any suggestions for improvements to the mirracycles or alternatives?

Bbc - on a 'bent trike, so MTB end style mirrors...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
manybikes

Re: Mirrors...

Post by manybikes »

I've tried all sorts but reckon the mirracycle is still best in your (our) configuration. I agree that the plastic gets a bit brittle at the joins. It is a shame you cannot buy spare parts but have to buy the whole thing.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I only use the inner arms of the mirracycle mirror on my trike plus a pair of bar ends.

On my right hand side, I screw the mirror on to the end of the first section which then goes into the bar end. The upside is it's a lot stiffer so doesn't vibrate as much. The down side is I tend to smash the mirror, not break the arm ..... :(

On my left hand side because I've no hand in the way to block the view. I've cut off the arm and attached the mirror via the main fixing screw to a bar end. By getting the angle of both the bar end and mirror right I get a perfect view behind while keeping the mirror as low as possible so it's easy to swing my leg over it while getting on and off.

I've found the Cateye mirror vibrates to much and moves out of line once my speed is above 40 mph.
JonMcD

Post by JonMcD »

Its been about 5 years since I last did it but a couple of times I have bought spares direct from Mirrycle is the States. Prices for spares and shipping were reasonable and as I had a couple of broken mirrors both times it made economic sense.
markfh

Post by markfh »

I was slightly confused by the comment in the original post

[XAP]Bob wrote:I replaced one with a cheaper mirror, but I don't particularly like the convex mirror or the short final 'arm'.

because as far as I remember mirrcycle mirrors are convex and this is confirmed by the info on the mirrcycle website (https://www.mirrycle.com/item/mountain-mirrycle-mirror/.

I use both the Cateye BM500G bar end mirror (https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/detail/BM-500G/) and also Decathlons rear view mirror (https://www.decathlon.co.uk/bike-rear-view-mirror-id_8158024.html) on flat/straight bar mountain/hybrid bikes. Both have convex mirrors and are reasonably stable although I do not tend to get anywhere near 40 mph although it is not clear from Tigertitten's post

Tigerbiten wrote:I've found the Cateye mirror vibrates to much and moves out of line once my speed is above 40 mph.

which model of Cateye mirror he has problems with. I have found that the clamp of the Decathlon rear view in the bar end gradually works loose and needs re-tightening every so often.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I have a BuM Cycle Star on my underseat steer 'bent bike. I have the stalk mount but there are bar-end ones available too. It's always worked pretty well and is easy to tweak the view.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Second failed mirracycle, shouldn't grumble, they are 6+ years old...

However, they both failed at the same place - the junction between the two arms... the nursert just falls out...

I replaced one with a cheaper mirror, but I don't particularly like the convex mirror or the short final 'arm'.

Any suggestions for improvements to the mirracycles or alternatives?

Bbc - on a 'bent trike, so MTB end style mirrors...

On my second one too, mirror cracked now so thinking of a change to one from Decathalon. I bought one last month for €6 for my wife's bike and whilst it's not as well made it articulates in the same sort of way. I've had a look on the UK site and didn't find one. This one came as a stores own brand.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

markfh wrote:I was slightly confused by the comment in the original post

[XAP]Bob wrote:I replaced one with a cheaper mirror, but I don't particularly like the convex mirror or the short final 'arm'.

because as far as I remember mirrcycle mirrors are convex and this is confirmed by the info on the mirrcycle website (https://www.mirrycle.com/item/mountain-mirrycle-mirror/.

The one I replaced the first failed mirracycle with is *much* more convex.
Having thrown a truly terrible cheap mirror on the left this morning I appreciate how well designed the mirracycle is - both in terms of rigidity and being just the right amount of convex.

I use both the Cateye BM500G bar end mirror (https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/detail/BM-500G/) and also Decathlons rear view mirror (https://www.decathlon.co.uk/bike-rear-view-mirror-id_8158024.html) on flat/straight bar mountain/hybrid bikes. Both have convex mirrors and are reasonably stable although I do not tend to get anywhere near 40 mph although it is not clear from Tigertitten's post

Tigerbiten wrote:I've found the Cateye mirror vibrates to much and moves out of line once my speed is above 40 mph.

which model of Cateye mirror he has problems with. I have found that the clamp of the Decathlon rear view in the bar end gradually works loose and needs re-tightening every so often.

By the time I'm doing 40+ I don't tend to be using my mirrors much, too much attention to the oncoming potholes for that...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

markfh wrote: I do not tend to get anywhere near 40 mph although it is not clear from Tigerbiten's post

I tried the Cateye BM-300G model as it was the only mirror I could find after smashing the Mirrycle one on a branch whilst on tour.
I found the mirror on that Cateye model was more prone to road buzz than the Mirrycle one.
Plus I never got the endcap positioned so that at around 40 mph the wind pressure couldn't push the mirror out of line.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

pjclinch wrote:I have a BuM Cycle Star on my underseat steer 'bent bike. I have the stalk mount but there are bar-end ones available too. It's always worked pretty well and is easy to tweak the view.

Pete.

I have something similar on my hamster barred raptobike, but I rather like resting my wrists on the mirror supports on the trike.
I suppose some bar ends on there first may be an option...
resus1uk

Post by resus1uk »

Blackburn Mountain bike mirrors that fit in the end of straight bars are robust in use on my two trikes & a solo bike. They can loosen if not checked occasionally . One has been in use for ten years.