Tandem on MONDEO HATCHBACK?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
lescargo

Tandem on MONDEO HATCHBACK?

Post by lescargo »

I need to take my blind stoker's tandem to Semaine Federal 2018.
Current car is Mk4 MONDEO hatchback.
Previous car was MONDEO estate with full length roof-rails; lots of scope to spread load
of tandem.
The fixing points on current car are 30"s apart.
Guessing, because he and tandem 8mile away, tandem W/base to be (42" +24" for his long top-tube =) 66"
then wheels and weight will be applied 18" for and aft beyond the roof bars?
Not a good idea?
Would appreciate any clues/ info/ experience of this problem?
meic

Re: Tandem on MONDEO HATCHBACK?

Post by meic »

I carry the tandem in a rather novel way on top of my Passat estate.
Two pieces of timber across between the roof bars as far apart as possible, then lash the tandem lying on its side to those pieces of timber.
I remove pedals, pilot's seat assembly inc stoker's bars and wheels to reduce the weight (so I can lift it up) and aerodynamic drag and so it doesnt scratch the car roof. The handlebar stem is slackened and bars rotated inline with the forks.

Securely lashed in this way it will stand up to the twisting effect from wind drag even with your very short distance between the supporting timbers, or you could "extend" the roof bars for and aft with something like angle-iron or box section bars to get a greater separation.
You may find that you can no longer usefully open the tailgate once the tandem is on.

I do mostly restrain my speed to 60mph with the tandem on the roof, especially bearing in mind how it ruins the cars aerodynamics and hence fuel consumption.
Yma o Hyd
John1054

Post by John1054 »

Used to carry our tandem on a Mirit rack (I believe these are now being made by another engineer, try Googling Mirit rack?). The tandem was loaded on the side of the car, then once fixed to rack, slid along the roof bars to be fixed by U bolts laying on its side, as per above post. we carried ours on a Ford Fiesta, Vauxhall Corsa and Renault Scenic in this way. Rack was supplied with hooks to fix to roof bars to facilitate side of the car loading. Good luck.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

If it hasn't got mudguards, I simply took the wheels off and put mine in the back of my MK4. They're massive with the rear seats down.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Took a Thorn Triplet for sale on a Skoda Fabia with roof bars. Pedals off, all bars to 90 degrees, laid on its side, mucho strapping. As long as rapid deployment not the order of the day this isn't hard.

Pete.
Last edited by pjclinch on 11 Sep 2017, 8:23am, edited 1 time in total.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
rjb

Post by rjb »

I've carried my tandem on various cars by fixing the tandem to an aluminium ladder. Rear wheel between rungs strapped on with toe straps and the forks minus front wheel bolted to a scrap hub secured to a convenient rung. The ladder being then toe strapped to the roof bars. I carried a small step with me to increase my reach, you learn to park near a convenient pavement to enable loading / unloading. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I've carried a tandem on a Pendle rack on a Mondeo using roof bars. It was a while ago, don't remember the roof bar details, but I think you'd be absolutely fine. The main problem is lifting the thing on, they're rather unwieldy.

Similarly used on three or four other cars, with up to four other bikes in addition.

Once for complicated reasons, ended up without the Pendle rack, and lashed the tandem to the roof bars after removing the pedals; I think you'd be fine like that too.

I've also had a friend take a tandem fixed to a rear carrier with the wheels off to restrict the width.

http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/shopping/s ... m-rack.php
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

A friend of mine carries a tandem regularly on a Pendle upright roof rack on a Focus h/back and has drive to Italy with two tandems on it,both on Pendle racks
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

Thank you all for prompt reply.
Its a re-assuring reflection of the comradeship and fraternity of our world of wheels.
I will, in next few days(not tonight anyway), reply to all your suggestions.
Thank you all!!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have carried a tandem on the roof of a Fiat Punto without roof bars. I laid an old, thick blanket on the roof of the car, hanging off the back, then put the tandem up and shoved them both on together. Once in place, I strapped it down securely with cargo straps and bungee cords.

I did this a few times; it was our only car at the time, and I didn't transport the tandem often enough to justify the cost of roof bars and a carrier, even if I could get one to fit the Punto.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

I carry our tandem on a saris bones rear rack, with the wheels removed and forks turned 180 degrees - it doesn't project out significantly further than 2 solo bikes with wheels on...I think the ruling is that it mustn't project more than 300mm..and it doesn't. Without its wheels, it's also lighter than most solo bikes (with wheels). I put the wheels in a cheap folding bike bag, in the boot so that the interior doesn't get too messy.

In the third picture, although the rear mech looks vulnerable, it's the angle of the photo - it doesn't actually project out as far as the wing mirror.

ImageIMG_4418 by hop58, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4420 by hop58, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4419 by hop58, on Flickr