... where to get backie pads for rear rack

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Vorpal

... where to get backie pads for rear rack

Post by Vorpal »

I've seen them in the Netherlands and Belgium, but I haven't the slightest idea what they are called in Dutch / Flemish and searches in English haven't turned up anything.

Mini V occasionally gives her friends backies with her bike. She carries around a wad of material for them sit on, but of course it can get wet in the rain, and I am a little worried about it going into the spokes or something. So, I was hoping for a simple clip-on seat or pad for the rear rack.

Something better than a lump of cloth, anyway :mrgreen:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
meic

Re: ... where to get backie pads for rear rack

Post by meic »

Are you just rubbing our noses in the fact that "seriously criminal and irresponsible behaviour" which is frowned on here in the UK, is quite common, safe, normal practice where you live? :lol:
Yma o Hyd
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

meic wrote:Are you just rubbing our noses in the fact that "seriously criminal and irresponsible behaviour" which is frowned on here in the UK, is quite common, safe, normal practice where you live? :lol:

:lol: :lol: Yep, that's me all over. :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote:I've seen them in the Netherlands and Belgium, but I haven't the slightest idea what they are called in Dutch / Flemish and searches in English haven't turned up anything.

Fietskussentje (literally "bike cushionette" I think). Bicycle rear rack cushion or sometimes pannier-mount cushion. This should be a link to the Hooodie Big Cushie: http://www.reallyusefulbikes.co.uk/chil ... yk3tijxev4

It's not actually illegal to carry passengers on the rear rack in the UK. The law is "Not more than one person may be carried on a road on a bicycle not propelled by mechanical power unless it is constructed or adapted for the carriage of more than one person". Many Dutch bikes are constructed to carry a rear rack passenger, so that's simple. I'd argue that fitting a rack with a heavy weight limit, foot/coat guard, cushion and possibly foot pegs is clearly adapted, but is it in law?

It's certainly far better than the ordinary backies and bar/basket rides usually seen around here and it would be a rather misguided police officer who stopped someone for a decent rear rack conversion while those - not to mention all the defective cars I see every ride - usually go unchallenged.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote:
Vorpal wrote:I've seen them in the Netherlands and Belgium, but I haven't the slightest idea what they are called in Dutch / Flemish and searches in English haven't turned up anything.

Fietskussentje (literally "bike cushionette" I think). Bicycle rear rack cushion or sometimes pannier-mount cushion. This should be a link to the Hooodie Big Cushie: http://www.reallyusefulbikes.co.uk/chil ... yk3tijxev4
Thanks, that's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. 8)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I have one of these, bought on spec a while ago at TKMaxx

http://www.trekmates.co.uk/folding-sit-mat

It's meant to be used laid out flat as a cushion, but folded, it would be just the right size I think for your purpose. Obviously, that would depend on rack width. In particular, the foam inside is extremely firm ie it supports the sitter, rather than squashing to nothing. Used folded, I'm pretty confident it would be comfy even for an adult sitting on a bike rack. It has a velcro retaining strap which looks at though it would be long enough to keep it on a bike rack. Folded dimensions: L = 30 cms, W = 9 cms, thickness = about 4.5 cms

Mine has found most use when I've collected my granddaughter from school and she has wanted to play in the nearby park on wet swings. The covering material is a tough black material, cheapo cordura copy. I doubt if it's waterproof but it's certainly kept my granddaughter's backside dry during prolonged use on wets swings. I've never had a noticeable problem drying it after use.

I see that the postage cost is totally disproportionate, especially if you are still in Norway

I see that mjr has linked to the real thing while I was typing. (Mine won't easily take a rear light :wink: )
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

We used to take my son to school in this way, as did about half the parents in his school* and AFAIR we just used a cushion and possibly a bungee to hold it in place.

*Which was not in Norway or the Neths, in fact it was strictly speaking illegal; but since it was a village, it didn't matter.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

It was a Croggy where I was a child on Teeside. Is that very local or in wider use word?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I thought a croggy meant taking a passenger on the crossbar. (Ken Dodd told a joke on the subject involving a ladies' bike. :shock: )
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote:I see that mjr has linked to the real thing while I was typing. (Mine won't easily take a rear light :wink: )

The rear light's on the rack. I suspect a rear light on the cushion wouldn't be sufficient to be legal, same as those swinging about from saddlebags.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.