Sea Sickness - any hints, tips, advice?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ambodach

Re: Sea Sickness - any hints, tips, advice?

Post by ambodach »

Mallaig sailings are most likely to be cancelled because the ferry cannot dock at Mallaig rather than sea conditions. Not much consolation I am afraid as pretty open particularly round the south of Skye unless they go inside Rum and Canna but I think they go on the south side of these islands. Never travelled that route since they redirected the boat to Mallaig. Staying out on deck is reasonable advice but if weather is that bad not comfortable.
Stewart H

Post by Stewart H »

Former charter skipper putting in my 2 pennorth, Ginger or foods containing it, eyes on the horizon, stay on deck (I always put anyone in danger of chundering on the helm, worked every time) Stugeron seems to work at the expense of drowsiness, Pineapple chunks taste the same on the way up as they do going down.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

What is the best/most convenient way of taking ginger?

I'm sure I could force myself to eat ginger biscuits for a few days before and after
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

pete75 wrote:There's one sure way to prevent seasickness - sit under a tree.... :D

Not entirely foolproof....

mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Brucey wrote:
mercalia wrote:The only time I was ever felt seasick was on the old hovercrafts to Calais

shouldn't that be.... airsick...? :wink:

ferrit worrier wrote:Isn't ginger supposed to help reduce the effects of sea sickness....

er, (and I'm thinking of racehorses here...) what do you do with the ginger exactly...?. :shock: :shock:

cheers

well those hovercraft used to get knocked around by the waves didnt they, didnt just float over on a cushion of air, that would have been no problem :cry:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cunobelin wrote:
pete75 wrote:There's one sure way to prevent seasickness - sit under a tree.... :D

Not entirely foolproof....

:lol:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

OP Update: I've just got back from island hopping around The Hebrides including one very rough 5 hour crossing. Our original ferry from Mallaig was cancelled as the sea was too rough for the ship to come into port, so it was diverted to Oban for a much longer crossing

I took the advice about taking one sturgeon the night before, and one on waking in the morning and then another two hours before the crossing which was at 14:30 (this was more than the recommended dose). I sat upstairs in the observation lounge which has 180 degree view and kept my eyes on the horizon, I also listened to music on my iPod and I was fine. The only time I had any problem was after four and half hours when I went downstairs to eat, but I was fine as soon as I went back upstairs and resumed my routine.

I took four or five other shorter ferries and on smaller boats without the sturgeon by just keeping my eyes on the horizon and was still fine. These were shorter rides at between 45 and 90 minutes.

I don't think that I would want to be on a boat for much longer than this or in rougher seas, but it has given me more confidence...that said I won't be booking a cruise anytime soon
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Good news!