foldable bike on X country train

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
sbspws

foldable bike on X country train

Post by sbspws »

Hello,

I'm thinking of investing in a foldable bike. I regularly take the cross country train to work between Exeter and Bristol. Could anyone share their experience on the convenience of traveling on a X country train with a foldable bike?

I don't think it would be small enough to put it under the seat in front of us, so likely that we will have to leave it at the luggage area while facing a probability that it may get stolen.

Thank you very much.

P
Brucey

Re: foldable bike on X country train

Post by Brucey »

I'm not familiar with current rolling stock they use, but if you have luggage racks available, it is usually possible to lash the folded/rinkoed bike to the luggage racks using bungies or other straps. This keeps them in view and deters someone from casually lifting one.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

A Brompton fits between back-to-back seats and in carriage-end luggage spaces. Plus, of course, it can go in a bike space if available.

The Brom isn't the greatest folder to ride, but it's still pretty good, and it folds significantly better than those that ride better.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
horizon

Post by horizon »

XC trains (and I use them often from Bristol to Exeter and beyond) are Voyager trains with a XC layout that includes the large luggage area next to the cycle spaces that you mention. My 24" wheeled folder goes in there nicely. This is at the end of the second-to-last carriage. There is a shelf on top for panniers. I've never had any worries about it being stolen but you could in any case lock it. But as others have said, a Brompton should go in the normal luggage racks located in each carriage.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Those luggage areas are big enough you can get a full-size bike in there. Er, allegedly.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:Those luggage areas are big enough you can get a full-size bike in there. Er, allegedly.

As long as you haven't been beaten there by folks with several giant suitcases, pushchairs etc. Or indeed other bikes. Full-size bikes will often get on, but the problem is "often" isn't necessarily quite what you're looking for on a regular run.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
freiston

Post by freiston »

I'm not familiar with the different types of rolling stock but I have successfully and comfortably got my foldable Tern C7 onto an end-of-carriage luggage shelf on a Virgin Birmingham to London train.

I've also taken the same bike on another train (Birmingham to Coventry) by another operator that feels a lot roomier than the Virgin trains. The bike just fit into the aisle (end of a carriage without an end-door - so no obstruction). The bike also fit between the seats that face each other (no table) but there wasn't any leg room - no-one else would have been able to sit there:
ctc003.jpg
Last edited by freiston on 27 Aug 2022, 12:46am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

pjclinch wrote:A Brompton fits between back-to-back seats and in carriage-end luggage spaces. Plus, of course, it can go in a bike space if available.

The Brom isn't the greatest folder to ride, but it's still pretty good, and it folds significantly better than those that ride better.

Pete.

This was part of the nepotistic relationship between SWT and Brompton. The T&C made it theoretically to take other folding bike on their trains