Far too good to be true

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Airsporter1st

Re: Far too good to be true

Post by Airsporter1st »

Audax67 wrote:I followed the ordering process through a while back, without ordering. They don't state shipping costs before you enter your credit card details and hit OK, so that leaves them free to charge whatever they like. Needless to say, I didn't.

I've just this minute gone through the whole registration and ordering process (using false details, of course) and it comes up with a shipping cost to Blackpool of £9.00 by their own courier.

The funny thing is, its too cheap. If it was, say, £350 ish, it would be more credible - especially with a Bosch motor and Alfine hub as it says in the description for the 'Ruffian' - and would probably wind more people in.

Payment can be made by credit card. I'm very tempted to take a punt and rely on Visa to protect me against fraud.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Airsporter1st wrote:I'm very tempted to take a punt and rely on Visa to protect me against fraud.

What for? To enrich the fraudsters behind it? Visa may refund you, but I doubt they get the money back from the criminals.
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

MarcusT wrote:
Vladimir wrote:
MarcusT wrote:There is zero corporate information, not so much as a phone number. And you ask if it is a scam?

There no need to be a twit about it though!
FYI it came up on Facebook a an ad and I was on my phone so I simply posted a link and asked a question.
I obviously suspect it's a scam.
Manners cost nothing...

Apologies, not my intent to mock you. Perhaps because I see so many of these fly by night operations that make a few thousand then disappear.

Gaz, Thank you for finding that page, I was expecting to find it on their home page, or About or FAQ or contact. Tried to research the corporate number and got no results. Direct Bikes has a different address and corp number, plus they have a phone number.

Fair enough. Cheers.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Samuel D wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:I'm very tempted to take a punt and rely on Visa to protect me against fraud.

What for? To enrich the fraudsters behind it? Visa may refund you, but I doubt they get the money back from the criminals.

Well, as far as I can tell, no one has actually determined that it is a fraudulent activity yet. So to me it is just a very good offer until proven otherwise.

The absence of a phone number or address is not unusual, in my experience - even where reputable traders are involved. Many solely online traders don't have the infrastructure to man phones or handle large volumes of mail or personal callers. If they did, they would not be so cheap.

Please remember also that Visa charge the vendor for the transaction. If the transaction is fraudulent, then Visa are also liable - hence the provision of cover for the buyer.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Airsporter1st wrote:
Samuel D wrote:

Well, as far as I can tell, no one has actually determined that it is a fraudulent activity yet. So to me it is just a very good offer until proven otherwise.

The absence of a phone number or address is not unusual, in my experience - even where reputable traders are involved. Many solely online traders don't have the infrastructure to man phones or handle large volumes of mail or personal callers. If they did, they would not be so cheap.

Please remember also that Visa charge the vendor for the transaction. If the transaction is fraudulent, then Visa are also liable - hence the provision of cover for the buyer.

of course no one has mentioned it aint a money scam but a get your credit card details scam with fake Visa site?
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

mercalia wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:
Samuel D wrote:What for? To enrich the fraudsters behind it? Visa may refund you, but I doubt they get the money back from the criminals.

of course no one has mentioned it aint a money scam but a get your credit card details scam with fake Visa site?

You may well be right. On the other hand, I have entered those same credit card details into numerous sites over the years, buying anything from £2 Presta valve adapters from China (I try not buy from there) to items costing several hundreds. Its quite possible that at some point my details could be misused (twice so far, once for £20 and once for £1200) but the alternative is not to use credit cards at all and believe me, Visa don't want that for their millions of customers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Airsporter1st wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:

You may well be right. On the other hand, I have entered those same credit card details into numerous sites over the years, buying anything from £2 Presta valve adapters from China (I try not buy from there) to items costing several hundreds. Its quite possible that at some point my details could be misused (twice so far, once for £20 and once for £1200) but the alternative is not to use credit cards at all and believe me, Visa don't want that for their millions of customers.

but if teh "Visa" site is a fake one then not their concern is it?
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

mercalia wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:
mercalia wrote:

but if teh "Visa" site is a fake one then not their concern is it?

Not immediately, no. But why do you think they would set up a fake site to obtain your credit card details? Its so that they can use them fraudulently, at which point it does become the card issuer's concern.
georgew

Post by georgew »

The bike itself is interesting and sells for just over $2000 in the US where it has received good reviews.

By nature I am a trusting person and I make no apology for ordering six of these bikes at £75 each which is a huge bargain.
I'm now settling down in my window seat and watching for the Carrier arriving. 8)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

georgew wrote:The bike itself is interesting and sells for just over $2000 in the US where it has received good reviews.

By nature I am a trusting person and I make no apology for ordering six of these bikes at £75 each which is a huge bargain.
I'm now settling down in my window seat and watching for the Carrier arriving. 8)

I notice you're wearing your rose tinted spectacles too :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
oldun

Post by oldun »

Just to clarify , this is of course ,as most people thought , a SCAM . Here is a copy of the reply received from Direct Bikes .

DIRECT BIK
DIRECT BIKES (Direct Bikes)
Sep 10, 17:43 BST
Hi John
Thank you for letting us know, yes it is a scam
Can i kindly ask your to email complaint to below as the hosting company based in belize are just ignoring requests, thank you
daniella@cloudflare.com
press@cloudflare.com
Kind regards,
Direct Bikes
http://www.scooter.co.uk
THE UK'S NO.1 SELLING SCOOTER BRAND CONFIRMED BY THE DVLA *
This email and any files included with it may contain proprietary and/or
 confidential information that is privileged and confidential and is for
 the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any disclosure, copying,
 distribution, posting, or use of the information contained in or attached
 to this email is prohibited unless permitted by the sender. If you have
 received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender via
 return e-mail, telephone, or fax and destroy this original transmission
 and its included files without reading or saving it in any
 manner.Registered Address: Direct Bikes Limited, 5 Elstree Gate, Elstree
 Way, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire WD6 1JD. Registered in England & Wales. Registration Number: 06746092:

Based on DVLA 50cc figures 11/2015
steve1717

Post by steve1717 »

reohn2 wrote:
georgew wrote:The bike itself is interesting and sells for just over $2000 in the US where it has received good reviews.

I notice you're wearing your rose tinted spectacles too :wink:
I have just ordered one of these bikes ..saw the add on facebook and thought that they must have been vetted to be able to advertise there .I did think straight away thats cheap , to good ,but something simular happened few months ago while looking for a driveaway awning at a crazy price and advertised also on facebook but it did arrive and was fantastic ,so yes i have given it a go paid with credit card so if it goes pear shaped should be able to get a refund ,will keep you up to date ,according to there site it has been collected by a courier and is on its way from the usa ..ahh well fingers crossed if it arrives ..great..
hamster

Post by hamster »

Google the postcode...1045 companies registered at that address.

Still think they are legit? :roll:
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

hamster wrote:Google the postcode...1045 companies registered at that address.

Maybe the one that sells e-bikes from America for less than the cost of FedEx is legit?

People who fall for these scams increase the costs of doing business for everyone. That your credit card company may bail you out is no defence – that just makes credit needlessly expensive.
oldun

Post by oldun »

oldun wrote:Just to clarify , this is of course ,as most people thought , a SCAM . Here is a copy of the reply received from Direct Bikes .

DIRECT BIK
DIRECT BIKES (Direct Bikes)
Sep 10, 17:43 BST
Hi John
Thank you for letting us know, yes it is a scam
Can i kindly ask your to email complaint to below as the hosting company based in belize are just ignoring requests, thank you
daniella@cloudflare.com
press@cloudflare.com
Kind regards,
Direct Bikes
http://www.scooter.co.uk
THE UK'S NO.1 SELLING SCOOTER BRAND CONFIRMED BY THE DVLA *
This email and any files included with it may contain proprietary and/or
 confidential information that is privileged and confidential and is for
 the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any disclosure, copying,
 distribution, posting, or use of the information contained in or attached
 to this email is prohibited unless permitted by the sender. If you have
 received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender via
 return e-mail, telephone, or fax and destroy this original transmission
 and its included files without reading or saving it in any
 manner.Registered Address: Direct Bikes Limited, 5 Elstree Gate, Elstree
 Way, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire WD6 1JD. Registered in England & Wales. Registration Number: 06746092:

Based on DVLA 50cc figures 11/2015

For anyone else tempted .....Again i post this reply received from the REAL Direct Bikes Ltd .