Legality of horses on Scottish cyclepaths?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
timdownieuk

Legality of horses on Scottish cyclepaths?

Post by timdownieuk »

A local part of the NCN 7 route that's much used by walkers, runners and cyclists has recently seen an increase in horse traffic, and the waste they leave behind.

Can horse riders legally use these cycle paths in Scotland? Obviously where the route uses public roads there's not a problem (legally) but the very things that make designated separate routes attractive to cyclists also attracts horse riders.
Ellieb

Re: Legality of horses on Scottish cyclepaths?

Post by Ellieb »

Yes, under the land reform act 2003 horse riding is allowed on those paths in Scotland.
timdownieuk

Post by timdownieuk »

Ellieb wrote:Yes, under the land reform act 2003 horse riding is allowed on those paths in Scotland.

Cheers. That's what I've heard elsewhere. Just need to educate the local horse riders to kick their sh*t off the paths!

Tim
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

timdownieuk wrote:
Ellieb wrote:Yes, under the land reform act 2003 horse riding is allowed on those paths in Scotland.

Cheers. That's what I've heard elsewhere. Just need to educate the local horse riders to kick their sh*t off the paths!

Tim

Obviously you have dealt with the dog owners .... no dog sh*t on the path at all .... well done you ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
timdownieuk

Post by timdownieuk »

landsurfer wrote:
timdownieuk wrote:

Tim

Obviously you have dealt with the dog owners .... no dog sh*t on the path at all .... well done you ...

Thank you for your helpful input. Absolutely invaluable.

Tim
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

timdownieuk wrote:
landsurfer wrote:
timdownieuk wrote:

Tim

Thank you for your helpful input. Absolutely invaluable.

Tim

Always happy to add a little perspective.
And provide a "reality check" .... not many children blinded by horse poo ... but dog poo .. ? mmmm
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Poo-bags are available for horses, the poo can be sold for good money
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Poo-bags are available for horses, the poo can be sold for good money

Free in these parts. Some will almost pay you to take it away.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Fasgadh

Post by Fasgadh »

On some of NCN7 the horse muck would be useful - for covering up the broken glass.
Username

Post by Username »

timdownieuk wrote:A local part of the NCN 7 route that's much used by walkers, runners and cyclists has recently seen an increase in horse traffic, and the waste they leave behind.

Can horse riders legally use these cycle paths in Scotland? Obviously where the route uses public roads there's not a problem (legally) but the very things that make designated separate routes attractive to cyclists also attracts horse riders.

On the subject of waste being left behind, do horse riders get fined for horseshit? Dog owners get fined for not cleaning up after their dog, but dogs dont leave behind as big a mess, nor does dog mess typically pose a risk to 2 wheeled traffic on a busy road (motorcycles could slip on horseshit).
pwa

Post by pwa »

Username wrote:
timdownieuk wrote:A local part of the NCN 7 route that's much used by walkers, runners and cyclists has recently seen an increase in horse traffic, and the waste they leave behind.

On the subject of waste being left behind, do horse riders get fined for horseshit? Dog owners get fined for not cleaning up after their dog, but dogs dont leave behind as big a mess, nor does dog mess typically pose a risk to 2 wheeled traffic on a busy road (motorcycles could slip on horseshit).

Which would you rather get on you. Dog poo or horse muck? The first is a potentially harmful stinking substance, the slightest trace of which can leave you clothes or shoes stinking. The second is relatively benign, and when the kids were little and went on the back of the tandem I would sometimes entertain them by going straight through a big mound of horse muck! Well I found it funny.
Username

Post by Username »

pwa wrote:
Username wrote:

Which would you rather get on you. Dog poo or horse muck? The first is a potentially harmful stinking substance, the slightest trace of which can leave you clothes or shoes stinking. The second is relatively benign, and when the kids were little and went on the back of the tandem I would sometimes entertain them by going straight through a big mound of horse muck! Well I found it funny.

[inappropriate word removed] is [inappropriate word removed], and [inappropriate word removed] is nowt but absolutely disgusting what ever animal it comes from. Sometimes I ride past farms and the smell of manure makes me nauseous. I think its unacceptable for it to be left on a road. Its worse than littering IMO.
Username

Post by Username »

What the.? Why was a word removed from my previous post but not from my other post?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Username wrote:
pwa wrote:
Username wrote:

<i>[inappropriate word removed]</i> is <i>[inappropriate word removed]</i>, and <i>[inappropriate word removed]</i> is nowt but absolutely disgusting what ever animal it comes from. Sometimes I ride past farms and the smell of manure makes me nauseous. I think its unacceptable for it to be left on a road. Its worse than littering IMO.

It's part of the countryside. Unless you want your countryside sanitised to suit townies.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Last spring a couple of police horses went down our street and left their calling card at the end. I went out with a wheelbarrow and shovel and took it back for the compost heap. :D

I do find pig farms smell pretty nauseating - there used to be one near one of my regular rides and I had to change my route. But horses, cows and sheep are just part of the pleasant country aroma.