Trails - Wanted : woodland near Ipswich

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
harveymorgs

Trails - Wanted : woodland near Ipswich

Post by harveymorgs »

Hey there would anyone be able to give a 12 year old good advice on where to build a trail and how to do it legally not so bothered about the where bit more mainly the legal bit.

Now im not sure how to approach this sortve question as im only 12 and im not really experienced yet but for ages now ive dreamed of building my own mtb trail for my mates and anyone who wants to use it as theres a big lack of trails in my village infact theres not a single one and theres so much land about but i dont know of anyone whod be willing to give up a forest for a mtb trail and i dont want to trespass as have been caught many times by land owners and its made a bigger affect to how i approach things and i want to do it by the book this time ive tried ringing the county council but i can never get hold of them and i dont know what else to do.
If anyone has advice please help me

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using hovercraft full of eels.
hamster

Re: Trails

Post by hamster »

You have to get the consent of the landowner. For a private landowner, forget it - any accidents on the trail are potentially their liability.

Now, start talking to your local council (Parish / Town first) about amenities for kids and build the idea outwards from there.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Observations from local situations . . . . . . . . .

1. Support from parents / groups of parents / others

2. Approaches to most local level of council :- e.g. parish / town / borough

3. Promoting the positive aspects
+ a facility for the youngsters
+ activity, adventure, learning about risk, achieving a project in the real-world

4. Mitigate the negatives
Nuisance : managing noise, litter, respecting boundaries
Insurance to cover risks to third-parties
Maybe formation of a club to manage the site ? ( And close adult involvement in the management. )

. . . . and don't forget. Creation of a site is only the first phase. Some of the above relates to the ongoing management.

5. What money required & who pays ?
- to setup
- to develop
- to maintain
e.g. fencing, insurance, safety items, access , security

And consider the END game. . . .. .
Personal - when you get too old / lose interest / move away
The site itself - if/when it falls out of use ( or some other reason to close down ) . . . how to return it to original state : what cost ? : who pays ?. . . etc.

I suspect that the ones that I am aware of have been developed through "forcing". i.e. persistent unauthorised use leading to eventual acceptance & regularisation.

I hope I haven't put you off. The real-world is rather complicated.
pwa

Post by pwa »

The only quick way to do it is to find someone who has a bit of suitable land and is willing to let you and your friends use it informally.
Graham

Post by Graham »

PS.
Posting you query on a dedicated MTB forum may get you access to those who have direct experience of what you are seeking to achieve.
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

The other thing that you will need to learn is how to make your trails sustainable and robust. I spent many many hours as kid digging and creating trails (on private land) only to have them ruined within a few weeks by drainage issues or simply not being built well enough to withstand the use.

A great way to learn about this is to volunteer and help out at a trail centre. Most of them have voluntary trail maintenance teams who work to build and maintain the trails. They have standards they will adhere to but also a great knowledge of how to deal with differnt terrain type and surface types and spot issues in advance in order to design around them.

Depending on where you are you may be able to get involved with one of these groups, you'll learn a lot from them, not just about the building but about the process of design, approval and how to work with the relevant groups and authorities, and you'd also be helping out so win-win all round. See if there is anything nearby you can get involved with first to get some experience and a foot in the door before you try jumping in with something new on your own.

If that isn't an option then it might be worth at least having a read of some of the trail building handbooks that are out there and maybe asking around on some of the more active MTB forums to see if anyone can offer you any advice.

Above all make sure you doing it with the landowners permission, and do it safely, and with respect to the environment and other users, have fun!
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

harveymorgs wrote:theres a big lack of trails in my village infact theres not a single one
Are there no bridle paths? Since 1968 cyclists have been allowed to use these legally, subject to giving way to other users (usually few if any). You could possibly draw up a circuit of several miles around the village using bridle paths which I think would be more adventurous than riding around a small circuit. This also opens up your mind to "I wonder where that bit goes" and so you venture further again. This is what kicked off my cycling in 1965 when I was your age (yes I am older than your grand parents), investigating where lanes went.
pwa

Post by pwa »

One problem I encountered when helping to make and maintain a bmx trail through a wood was the difficulty of getting users to stick to the trail and not branch off in too many directions, destroying the natural woodland floor and its plants.
harveymorgs

Post by harveymorgs »

tatanab wrote:
harveymorgs wrote:theres a big lack of trails in my village infact theres not a single one
Are there no bridle paths? Since 1968 cyclists have been allowed to use these legally, subject to giving way to other users (usually few if any). You could possibly draw up a circuit of several miles around the village using bridle paths which I think would be more adventurous than riding around a small circuit. This also opens up your mind to "I wonder where that bit goes" and so you venture further again. This is what kicked off my cycling in 1965 when I was your age (yes I am older than your grand parents), investigating where lanes went.

Yes there are plenty bridle paths but thats just not a challenge not a real mtb trail me and my mates need to really challenge us cause at least if we build one trail somewhere and ride it many times and then get bored of it we can add and create more to it etc, (bigger jumps bigger berms) and the list could go on but like i say a bridle path just isnt the same as a real mtb trail

harveymorgs

Trails

Post by harveymorgs »

If anyone has seen my other post i need to find somewhere to build a trail as i dont want to trespass and keep getting fined as i have been many times in the past im only 12 but me and my mates love mountain biking and will give anything for a trail close to us and in a nice bit of woodland so i was just wondering if theres anyone out there that lives in suffolk and close to ipswich thatd let me and my mates borrow just a bit of land to build trails and have fun on cause for ages now my dream is to build my own trail that i can adjust to my comfort and have an absolute blast on so like i say if theres anyone out there that has an old bit of woodland thats not in use for anything and dont care if we use it for trail building itd be massively appreciated and you dont understand what it would mean to me and my mates, i know its asking a lot but its worth a go as this is sortve last resource as ive tried everything else and have had nothing. Thanks

gaz

Re: Trails - Wanted : woodland near Ipswich

Post by gaz »

Not the same thing but there was a project in Medway recently to construct a BMX pump track on a former landfill site: Scroll down.

It certainly secured support and the portable track went ahead as a community trial/taster. I don't know whether the funding bid was succesful.

It might be worth e-mailing the council officer to see how the project began i.e. what grassroots support it had, how it came to the coucil's attention and the timescales involved.

For funding look for schemes like the Aviva Community Fund. Local schemes exist too, you just need to track yours down. You may need a formally structured supporters group and bank account before applying.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

I would suggest you contact CUK Hq for advice.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Try asking on the STW forum. MTB forum with much going on. It can get a touch less well mannered thank here so keep it friendly and accept the odd mickey take.
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

Who is fining you for trespass? As far as I know this isn't legal. Trespass is not a criminal offence and a land owner's "powers" are limited to requesting a trespasser leave and removing them with minimal force (best left to police?) if they fail to comply. I suspect that anyone demanding "fines" for trespass is themselves committing a criminal offence.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Spoof?

The young 12 year old seems to write very well for a young 12 year old.

If genuine, one problem I see is how near does it have to be to his and his mate's homes. He has obviously ruled out anywhere very local, so f he is 12 will he be allowed to cycle to the facility or will Mum and Dad be the carriage service?

I think the Bridleway suggestion is the best.