What do you need for cycle touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Username

What do you need for cycle touring?

Post by Username »

Apart from a bike and some free time and cash ofcourse.

I currently have 2 Ortlieb rear panniers (about 40 litres I think) and a backpack. Would I need front panniers aswell? The backpack would only be used for a sleeping bag, and maybe I could attach the tent to the top of my pannier rack. Do you think this would be enough storage for a cycle tour of a few days to a week?
TrevA

Re: What do you need for cycle touring?

Post by TrevA »

Depends on where you are planning on staying overnight. If B&Bs or hostels, then 2 panniers are more than enough, but if you are camping then you need extra room for tent, sleeping mat and sleeping bag, plus cooking equipment, so front panniers may be needed. Tent can be strapped to the top of your rear rack. I wouldn't carry anything on my back. Better to let the bike take the weight.
Last edited by TrevA on 24 Sep 2017, 5:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Too many parameters like wher are yoù going? How long for, do you intend to cook , do you need winter clothing how cold will it be.some people carry everything , others the bare minimum. Start with what you have and build up from there.
NUKe

Post by bikepacker »

Here is my equipment list if it is of any help. http://www.bikepacker.co.uk/List.htm
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

More than enough space. Sleeping bag etc in one pannier, clothes etc in the other with space left over. Tent on top of the carrier. Add a barbag for carrying maps, paperwork, camera, something that you can easily lift off to take into a pub/shop with you. Leave the back pack at home. I have never cycle camped with panniers front and rear, but we all have different ideas about what kit we need for our comfort - there are many threads about just this, one only a couple of weeks ago.

This of course depends on the bulk of your equipment. Your sleeping bag might be an enormous ex WW2 bag for example. It also depends on time of year because of the different clothes needed. In summer it is dead easy, in December - a different story.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

A sense of adventure, a mind open to exploring off beat routes, vary route from the one planned... ie don't be feel you have to be set in the route chosen... talk to others along the way and find about places to visit.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

I would suggest you keep your toolkit either in a toolkit bag under the saddle or in a frame bag. Apart from that you have the essentials. Don't get bogged down with what others believe you need. Just give it a go for a few days then try a week. It will soon become apparent if you need anything else.
Enjoy.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

Username wrote:Apart from a bike and some free time and cash ofcourse.

I currently have 2 Ortlieb rear panniers (about 40 litres I think) and a backpack. Would I need front panniers aswell? The backpack would only be used for a sleeping bag, and maybe I could attach the tent to the top of my pannier rack. Do you think this would be enough storage for a cycle tour of a few days to a week?

Hi,
The pic below is me and my son completing the WOTR. I used yellow CROSSO Dry 60L (Pair), whilst these were adequate for the trip a front small handlebar bag would have been useful for some items (Wallet phone etc). I carried the tent across the top in a dry bag.

Regards,
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

Oooops
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

7 day Summer tour .....

2 pairs bib shorts.(Planet X Clubmans, £19.99 ea)
3 sets of socks, jerseys, undershirts.
1 rain jacket.
FLR F-55 shoes with torn heels and very worn cleats, but comfy.
Gary the Garmin.
Track mitts.
Endura 16ltr pannier x 1.
Tool kit in seat pack.
Premier Inn Account Card.
Davids Debit Card.
£10.99 Mobile Phone from Tesco. With only Julies number.
Decathlon 500SE with rack and clip on mudguards.

Long discussion with the Accounts Manager at work on my return to convince her the accommodation and subsistence was actually business.

Mission Partial Fail ! .... :lol:

Got the accommodation ..result !
Last edited by landsurfer on 24 Sep 2017, 8:52pm, edited 5 times in total.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
horizon

Post by horizon »

bogmyrtle wrote: Don't get bogged down with what others believe you need. Just give it a go for a few days then try a week.

I think that was the risk he was willing to take in posting on here. :wink:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

horizon wrote:
bogmyrtle wrote: Don't get bogged down with what others believe you need. Just give it a go for a few days then try a week.

I think that was the risk he was willing to take in posting on here. :wink:

:lol:
+1
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
horizon

Post by horizon »

eileithyia wrote:A sense of adventure, a mind open to exploring off beat routes, vary route from the one planned... ie don't be feel you have to be set in the route chosen... talk to others along the way and find about places to visit.

Well that answers his question but he (I assume it's a he for some reason) was really asking about luggage capacity. In which case I can add to your answer and say that you need a strong sense of the balance between weight and comfort. If you're fairly OK about roughing it, then you can take less stuff and therefore need fewer places to carry it. If, like me, you appreciate a degree of comfort, then the four pannier/tent on rack system works really well. We've discussed it at length on here and I suppose will continue to do so while people's own sensitivity to cold, damp and dark varies so much.

If asked to advise I would concur with others and recommend two rear panniers plus bar bag with tent on rack. I reckon other people cope better with the cold than I do.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Another thing to think about is where you are going and where you plan to camp. If you will be camping on an organised site, with water, a picnic table, perhaps even cooking facilities and a shop on site or nearby and/or a pub cafe to eat in and other shops/cafes along the way, then you will probably be fine.

However if you need to carry a day or more water and food, want to have somewhere to sit etc. then you may find that you struggle to fit it all in. I like to wild camp and travel mainly in NW Scotland. Although there are cafes and shops they can be closed/far apart and so I often have to pick up water at some point in the day, and sometimes carry a few days food. I find having extra room in the panniers makes this much easier.

My advice would be to try a couple of short overnight trips close to home, you soon work out what you actually need and what you can leave at home. You will also find out how well your packing arrangements work for you. When I started out I had pretty much the same setup as you do. These days I use four panniers and a bar bag, nothing on top of the rack. I find it much easier to get to things this way, but you may find two bags work fine for you. Just give it a go!
Aushiker

Post by Aushiker »

My bikepacking/touring gear list is always in progress and is actually getting modified now in preparation for a remote 10 day ride but it might give you some ideas as to how to go reasonably light and hence require less in the way of panniers.