Catalonia: Democracy (European style)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
AlaninWales

Catalonia: Democracy (European style)

Post by AlaninWales »

I think it was Psmanthe who said that the EU would oppose our exit as hard as possible because it might encourage others to think of splitting. I wonder whether this is what they believe should have happened during our referendum: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-41463955/catalonia-referendum-violence-as-police-block-voting
landsurfer

Re: Catalonia: Democracy (European style)

Post by landsurfer »

It's the sort of thing you expect in a third world dictatorship not a major European country.
The lack of condemnation is worrying, especially from the EU.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
meic

Post by meic »

They were merely upholding the rule of law.
I think that is what countries say when they are dealing with civil disobedience.
Yma o Hyd
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Rejecting the outcome of a vote as 'unconstitutionally held' is political dialogue and (according to the Spanish courts) a constitutionally correct p.o.v.

Beating people for expressing their disagreement with the organisation of your state is not political dialogue, it is violent oppression and likely to produce counter violence. I do wonder whether the latter is what the Spanish authorities want to achieve.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:It's the sort of thing you expect in a third world dictatorship not a major European country.
The lack of condemnation is worrying, especially from the EU.

+1
The violence used by the police against peaceful citizens in that video is appalling,and should be condemned by the UK government.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

AlaninWales wrote:..........Beating people for expressing their disagreement with the organisation of your state is not political dialogue, it is violent oppression and likely to produce counter violence. I do wonder whether the latter is what the Spanish authorities want to achieve.

Quite!
I thought the same TBH
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

meic wrote:They were merely upholding the rule of law.
I think that is what countries say when they are dealing with civil disobedience.

That's what I've seen reported as well. The proposed referendum was contrary to the Spanish Constitution (I've even seen it reported that the EU has agreed that it was contrary to the Spanish Constitution) and the Spanish courts had ruled that as well.

So, without appreciating the options available, Spain may have been in something of a Catch-22 situation. Do they uphold their Constitution and decisions of their courts or do they allow it to go ahead (which also sends a strong message) and then start arguing it was un-constitutional anyway.

From reports it would seem that polls say the majority of Catalans don't want independence anyway (I seem to remember reading it was around low-40% wanting independence).

All that said, it does seem like a complete mess but I'm actually uncertain of whose making. You could argue that the Spanish Gov. handled it very badly or that they were only upholding the Constitution and decision of the courts. Similarly, you might also be able to argue that given the Constitution and decision of the courts it was pretty daft of the Catalan Government to go ahead with the referendum once it was obvious the Spanish Gov were going to (try) and enforce the decision of the courts. There might even be an aspect that support for Catalan independence has grown because of what happened and maybe that was a consideration when the Catalan Gov decided to (try) and go ahead anyway with the referendum (even long after it was clear that any result would be self selecting).

But then where does one cast the blame for violence? We've seen similar in the UK not that long ago either (somebody was even killed by a Police Officer, somebody who was just trying to get home, not even part of the protests). Was the violence ordered or was it a few officers who maybe should not be officers.

Whilst there has been some coverage in the news, I'm surprised at how little and surprised that Farange and his supporters of brexit have not been appearing everywhere blaming the EU and wittering on about how we are "well out of it".

Ian
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I think we have to be careful - division and disunity in the free world are on the march - we're going to regret destroying unity with Europe and the Catalonians may also regret what they've done if they do get their own way. Hatred and evil are also on the march - there's I.S. for a start - and the need for decent, right-minded free nations (however imperfect we are) to stand together is increasing day by day.
meic

Post by meic »

There does seem to be some disagreement in Spain over what "free" means and what constitutes a "nation".
Yma o Hyd
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Shocking scenes. Is this state sponsored violence against it's own people, perhaps, some legacy issue of having been led by a Dictator within living memory?
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
pwa

Post by pwa »

It is one of those moments when, in a non-jingoistic way, you are glad you live in a country where we do some things better. I didn't much care about Catalan independence before, but I now hope Spain loses its grip on Catalonia.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Actually it's Spanish style and pretty abhorrent it is too.
But it is an internal Spanish affair.

There are a great many European countries that do things much better.

I have in my lifetime witnessed such scenes in the UK. And historically we have little to be complacent about.
Ask a Liverpool docker or a coal miner.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

meic wrote:There does seem to be some disagreement in Spain over what "free" means and what constitutes a "nation".

Same question could be asked of the UK.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

AlaninWales wrote:Beating people for expressing their disagreement with the organisation of your state is not political dialogue, it is violent oppression and likely to produce counter violence.

And also likely to increase support for secession. They could have just ignored the outcome of the referendum, and dealt with the resentment through political means.

Sounds like a most cack-handed response. I know there are Francoists in the Spanish government, but I didn't think they'd take it so literally.
pwa

Post by pwa »

JohnW wrote:
meic wrote:There does seem to be some disagreement in Spain over what "free" means and what constitutes a "nation".

Same question could be asked of the UK.

It is unthinkable that pressure for Scots or Welsh independence could result in London sending in masses of riot police. That might have been possible in the past but not today. You don't win hearts and minds that way. I am shocked that a modern West European state can behave that way.

I don't know how the people of Catalonia think, but if that happened in Cardiff the membership of Plaid Cymru would multiply overnight.