Galibier Water proof jacket

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
hondated

Galibier Water proof jacket

Post by hondated »

Last week whilst browsing through the magazines in Tesco, one of my mates once told me he loves Tesco and after a pause added because it keeps the riff raff out of Waitrose, I picked up Cycling Weekly and read some reviews on jackets and this one came out very well given its reasonable price. So after hearing the usual refrain from my wife every time I buy a jacket " not another one " I ordered it and it arrived in time for me to wear it on this mornings ride.
Being one of lifes " Big Ole boys " I ordered an XXL and unlike other jackets I have its a great fit and unlike my others the sleeve lengths are not orangutan length.
The body fit is snug but you can get a couple of layers under it but thankfully it was not that cold this morning.
It certainly feels comfortable and there's the usual pockets in the back one with a zipper which I secured my mobile in.
As yet its to be tested in the rain of cause but once I have I will post an update. Its a jacket worth considering if your in the market for one in my opinion.
Should of added they also gave me a neck chief or buff gratis.
fausto copy

Re: Galibier Water proof jacket

Post by fausto copy »

I'm a sucker for anything called Galibier and have had a quick guggle about the jacket.
Sadly it's only water resistant and, as the spiel in the CW review states, the seams can't be taped because of the stretchiness of the material.

Has anyone got one of the Corrine Dennis waterproof jackets, as per the recent flier in the CUK mag?
Mightily interested, especially as it's supposed to be fully waterproof (to what level :roll: ) and has a mesh liner, which would hopefully make it a bit comfier, rather than having the clammy outer layer next to oneself.

fausto.
PH

Post by PH »

hondated wrote:So after hearing the usual refrain from my wife every time I buy a jacket " not another one "

I think I might have to side with your wife. Just how many waterproof jackets do you need?
hondated

Post by hondated »

fausto copy wrote:I'm a sucker for anything called Galibier and have had a quick guggle about the jacket.
Sadly it's only water resistant and, as the spiel in the CW review states, the seams can't be taped because of the stretchiness of the material.

Has anyone got one of the Corrine Dennis waterproof jackets, as per the recent flier in the CUK mag?
Mightily interested, especially as it's supposed to be fully waterproof (to what level :roll: ) and has a mesh liner, which would hopefully make it a bit comfier, rather than having the clammy outer layer next to oneself.

fausto.

You devil you've reminded me about all the good reports I have read on CD jackets. Mmm !
hondated

Post by hondated »

PH wrote:
hondated wrote:So after hearing the usual refrain from my wife every time I buy a jacket " not another one "

I think I might have to side with your wife. Just how many waterproof jackets do you need?

PH What a question, I really don't know.
In mitigation I do seem to have become more rotund in recent years so require a larger size. Then I brought a pair of cycling shoes on Ebay from a local fella and when I went to collect them he offered me a jacket at a reasonable price so of cause I brought it.
Having brought it I then decided I didn't really like the colour as its brown.
Last year as it started to get colder I decided, never having had one to buy a reflective jersey which has been ok but as I posted earlier its got orangutan length sleeves so they've been irritating me.
The funny thing is that my " go to " jackets are a reflective Shimano one and a blue one that I can remove the arms from both of which I brought years ago.
So I can perhaps understand my wife's comment and why you agree with her.
Thankfully she will not be reading this so its safe to say that I finally realised that its not my bike and its gearing ( see my other thread ) that's wrong but more the fact that at 5' 10" and 15s 10 oz I really need to lose some weight and when I do I am going to definitely need a new jacket ! :roll:
KFT

Post by KFT »

I have the Galibier Tourmalet jackets and have used it a couple of times in quite heavy rain with no ingress of water. I have also found that it doesn't have much of a boil in the bag effect. It's also packable enough to fold into a rear jersey pocket.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

fausto copy wrote:I'm a sucker for anything called Galibier and have had a quick guggle about the jacket.

Are you sure you're talking about the same thing? This is Galibier's waterproof jacket, taped seams and all: http://galibier.cc/product/tourmalet/
... whereas this is the stretchy one that can't be taped: http://galibier.cc/product/mistral-foul ... -jacket-3/ .
Of course it would help if the OP had given a link, or a model name rather than just the company.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Ah, that looks more like it.
The one that seamed :wink: to be referred to in CW was the untaped one, but there's some confusion on their website about which one it was, as there's an old review on there too. :?
Anyway, that Tourmalet looks very promising, although I'm not sure if it's classed as a double or triple layer (without mesh) or not.
However, I would still like to hear if anyone's got a Corrine Dennis one, as my Freestyle Goretex is past its sell by date.
fausto.
hondated

Post by hondated »

AndyK wrote:

Are you sure you're talking about the same thing? This is Galibier's waterproof jacket, taped seams and all: http://galibier.cc/product/tourmalet/
... whereas this is the stretchy one that can't be taped: http://galibier.cc/product/mistral-foul ... -jacket-3/ .
Of course it would help if the OP had given a link, or a model name rather than just the company.

Thanks Andy that's the one.