Folding bike.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Earlobes

Folding bike.

Post by Earlobes »

Hi all I've recently changed jobs and now within cycling distance but am limited for storage space at work. I've done my research on folding bikes and I'm at a little of a problem. I'm 6ft tall and looking at the Raleigh stowaway 7.

So my problem is I read that issues with it both being to tall for the bike and peddles breaking l, I'm wondering if any members can give me feedback/advice. My budget is only £300.

Thanks

Earlobes
breakwellmz

Re: Folding bike.

Post by breakwellmz »

I had the three speed version of that Raleigh bought new.I`m 6 foot tall and probably weighed 80kgs then.I adapted the stem to give some forward reach which improved steering and comfort.It was used a lot before being stolen without any problems.
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

I do ride a 'Raleigh Stowaway', but mine's about 40 years too old to be relevant to your question :D As a 6ft man, I generally find that folding bikes are rideable, but the supplied bars will not go high enough if you prefer quite an upright riding position. The usual bike-buying advice applies here: try to go to a shop where you can test the bike for yourself before buying. Pedals (even folding pedals) are easily replaceable and not very expensive, so I wouldn't worry about them.
Earlobes

Post by Earlobes »

Ok... Thanks for both your posts. May I ask is the anything that would suit me more for my budget? I'm not really looking for a 2nd but most folding bikes that people rave about are £500 - £1000. From what I have read the bikes for £100 - £200 are not fit for purpose some having major weld issues to screws undoing.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Earlobes wrote:Ok... Thanks for both your posts. May I ask is the anything that would suit me more for my budget? I'm not really looking for a 2nd but most folding bikes that people rave about are £500 - £1000. From what I have read the bikes for £100 - £200 are not fit for purpose some having major weld issues to screws undoing.

AFAIK the seatpost on the Terns is longer than that on other bikes, including Dahon (I swap mine over between my Tern and Dahon). Yes, you are right, to get a Tern (which I would recommend) you are looking at £450 upwards. Pound for pound, folding bikes are more expensive than other equivalent bikes.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
PH

Post by PH »

I've heard of pedals breaking, it's a weakness of them being folding, but I don't think it's that common. Whether the seat post is long enough is something you ought to try in a shop, but you're not extraordinarily tall so I'd be a bit surprised if it wasn't.
I have the most basic Dahon, bought S/H from this forum for not a lot of money. It looks very similar to the Raleigh with the same 20" wheel size. I'm 6'2" and weight around 100 kg. The bike is fine for a few miles, slightly slower than my full size bike but not by enough to make a difference on my 4 mile each way flat commute. 10 miles is around the longest ride I've done on it, and TBH that's about as far as I'd want to. It may be possible to improve the comfort and speed, but it's already suitable for my purpose. As you'd expect at that price point the consumables are low end, but there's nothing on it that isn't cheap to replace as it wears out. Whether it's suitable for your use, will depend on what that is.
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

From what I have read the bikes for £100 - £200 are not fit for purpose some having major weld issues to screws undoing.

I agree with all PH's advice. The advice to avoid very cheap no-name folders is also probably wise. I think the modern 'Raleigh Stowaway' is made by Dahon, a major folding bike maker I'd trust not to produce an unsafe product.

Screws do vibrate loose on bicycles. If your bike suddenly feels weird or starts making a noise check it out. Most of the time you just need to tighten it. If it is something that repeatedly loosens or is safety-critical use a threadlocking compound (eg Loctite)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

one option is a Rudge Bi Frame, used. Can be had for about £30-£100.

Does not fold small enough for every situation, but rides like a normal bike and is pretty durable.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Earlobes

Post by Earlobes »

Brucey wrote:one option is a Rudge Bi Frame, used. Can be had for about £30-£100.

Does not fold small enough for every situation, but rides like a normal bike and is pretty durable.

cheers

Off to Google I go to see what that frame is :lol:

Ok that frame is to big for the area I have to store it. I have to keep it in the staff room aka kitchen so I'm limited for space nor can I leave it outside. But was a good idea, I see the Raleigh do the evo-2 I think it's called but I've read nothing but bad things about that back plus my local bike shop said it's not worth the money.
drossall

Post by drossall »

There are various makes around actually manufactured by Dahon, and some Dahon models, that might fit your price range. Or consider second-hand; Bromptons keep their value exceptionally well, but Dahons are normal in this regard, and hence more affordable. I got my Vitesse 7 for £180 from the LBS.

If you're tall, you may find length (forward reach) an issue. Folders can be cramped at the best of times, and obviously it's worse for a tall person. You can get several variants on the concept of the Aber Hallo extension, but it can have an effect on the ease of fold (it puts the bars in a different place from where the designer intended).
moultoneer

Post by moultoneer »

Fudges is an established supplier with branches in west London and Woking (I think).
DontheMan

Post by DontheMan »

I would suggest that the locking mechanism for the Dahoon steerer is much inferior to that of the Brompton. IMHO may be dangerous.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Is there any way you can get a test ride, even a friend's or even of the Dahon equivalent? My concern is that you really will find it too small*. How far is your commute?

* that's the seatpost (you will be below the minimum insert line), the bars (they will be too narrow) and the seatpost angle making your legs and arms feel cramped.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
drossall

Post by drossall »

DontheMan wrote:I would suggest that the locking mechanism for the Dahoon steerer is much inferior to that of the Brompton. IMHO may be dangerous.

Is that based on experience? Seems OK to me after three years.