Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
landsurfer

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Post by landsurfer »

KFT wrote:Hi John,
The Rotherham ride is December, not this weekend.

Heart attack moment!!!!!

Thanks Kev...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
John100

Post by John100 »

sorry folks!
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Wimps Strava
Paulatic Softlips John100 and KFT shared the leaderboard and I scraped last position in height climbed .
Nice to see that riders are increasing distances and number or rides
Memo to self
Must try harder
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Don't think "must try harder " is the issue.
Quality is always better than quantity.
I've started using a Turbo trainer in the evenings 3 days a week and after my absolute hatred of the machines i am starting to enjoy the sessions.
But of course they do not appear on STRAVA ....
Be more Mike.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

landsurfer wrote:Don't think "must try harder " is the issue.
Quality is always better than quantity.
I've started using a Turbo trainer in the evenings 3 days a week and after my absolute hatred of the machines i am starting to enjoy the sessions.
But of course they do not appear on STRAVA ....

They could if you manually upload them.
it's less boring if you watch a training video on the computer,wears the back tyre out as well
There I've found myself a good reason not to do it.
You too could be top of wimps Strava if you uploaded your rides before Sunday night, they are only registered on the club page if entered on the week you did them. :D
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Not a fan of manually uploaded stuff myself ..... but i'd rather just upload "outdoor" cycling.

And I have ...
Another 44km of lovely riding this afternoon when work thought i was "at the coalface" .... how wrong they where ... :lol:
Be more Mike.
Nickeveson

Post by Nickeveson »

I am using turbo trainer and doing some swimming to keep up fitness levels as not many free hrs to actually cycle BUT got a training plan ready for New Year....lol
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Nickeveson wrote:I am using turbo trainer and doing some swimming to keep up fitness levels as not many free hrs to actually cycle BUT got a training plan ready for New Year....lol

Hang on a minute, I thought you were arranging good weather for wimps lejog.
Surely the rain can't be bad enough for us to need to swim, i for one don't know how to.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Nickeveson wrote:I am using turbo trainer and doing some swimming to keep up fitness levels as not many free hrs to actually cycle BUT got a training plan ready for New Year....lol

Do these alternative methods of keep fit really work?
I get loads of Running and Jumping in every week.
Running out of patience and jumping to conclusions
softlips

Post by softlips »

I've just bought a set of rollers. Impossible first try, bloody hard the second. Away with work since so not been back on them but when I do I'll set a fan up to cool me!!
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

softlips wrote:I've just bought a set of rollers. Impossible first try, bloody hard the second. Away with work since so not been back on them but when I do I'll set a fan up to cool me!!

I absolutely love rollers .... if you decide their not for you give me a call you can have my turbo ...especially since by the standards of the Wimps site we're close neighbours.... I'm doing the Trent Valley 100 this weekend if you fancy a trip out ...
Be more Mike.
flash

Post by flash »

I've been dragged back into employment, I even did a 5 day week last week, surely there's a law against that sort of thing, so apart from coming third at Tide 2 Tide I hardly ridden. Still I'm off this Friday, so that'll be Bradford on Avon or Devizes and back, I'm so looking forward to it......
softlips

Post by softlips »

landsurfer wrote:
softlips wrote:I've just bought a set of rollers. Impossible first try, bloody hard the second. Away with work since so not been back on them but when I do I'll set a fan up to cool me!!

I absolutely love rollers .... if you decide their not for you give me a call you can have my turbo ...especially since by the standards of the Wimps site we're close neighbours.... I'm doing the Trent Valley 100 this weekend if you fancy a trip out ...

I do fancy it but I will have been away all week working so don't want to leave my wife alone all day Sunday too - I will ride with Barnsley Road Club in the morning.

I think I'll like the rollers, seem much harder than a turbo, I like how you need to balance on them.
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

With all this talk of turbo training. I have a 2 month free pass for Trainerroad if anyone wants it.
Adding structure to turbo sessions makes them worthwhile and less boring. It also uploads them to Strava if you tick the box.
With 1 arm in a sling for the next 5 weeks, turbo is the only bike riding I can do.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Put them in an open doorway and climb on the bike and support yourself with your elbows onto the door frame whilst holding on the handlebars.

Pedal away in a highish gear, and gently pull in your elbows. If you wobble, stick them out again. The faster you go, the easier it is to balance.

I find that different bikes handle differently on rollers. My Mercian is a twitchy ride, and on the rollers, I found it difficult.
Mrs Mick F's bike has much more relaxed geometry and with nice wide flat handlebars, it's a dream to ride on the rollers.

What I did to get used to rollers, was to use her bike for the first half dozen rides, then graduated onto Mercian after I'd got the knack.
Mick F. Cornwall