Anxiety?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
JohnW

Re: Anxiety?

Post by JohnW »

My children were born just before the Thatcher regime started. I had no idea then how rotten awful this world would become. The age I am means that I'll probably be dead before it becomes unbearable/unliveable. My anxiety is how the world will be when they get to my age - I love my children and I don't want them to suffer.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Going back to the original quote - I am utterly bemused by this reference to avocados.

Not least because I am particularly partial to them - a little weakness of mine. I often have one (half if it's a big one) for breakfast. Yes I've read all the dire warnings in the media about 'avocado famine' and the environmental damage being done in Mexico (I try to avoid buying Mexican avocados if I can).

Anyway, although as a rule Lidl do the best avocados, often ripe to perfection, we buy them from Tesco and Waitrose as well. If they're under-ripe (as you can tell by just feeling them - and I often buy the small ones sold as under-ripe in packs of 4), a day or two in the bowl with the bananas soon sorts that out. Once they are ripe, they should be put in the fridge, where they will keep for a few days.

Next 'anxiety' issue: 'prosecco'. Not my tipple and not my problem, I'm afraid, seeing as I have only a dim understanding of what prosecco tastes like...

Passwords? Yes I did use to get worked up about forgetting passwords. And once, many years ago to my utter embarrassment, I totally forgot the PIN of a bank card (the machine swallowed my card). Since then, I have developed what I think is a sure-fire method of keeping track of passwords. But I'll keep the details to myself.... :wink:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

JohnW wrote:My children were born just before the Thatcher regime started. I had no idea then how rotten awful this world would become. The age I am means that I'll probably be dead before it becomes unbearable/unliveable. My anxiety is how the world will be when they get to my age - I love my children and I don't want them to suffer.

What planet are you on .... we 're having a great time ...mostly.
All our family anxiety is as a result of own goals ...
The kids are happy, soon they will breathe better air as electric cars take over, renewable power will make life work cleanly and if climate change predictions are accurate we will have a beach at Worksop rather than having to drive 80 miles to one ....
The planet will never become "unliveable' as the GAIA principle will out ...
Victorian parents probably said just what you posted ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Avocado,Prosecco.
I've never had either,so my anxiety must be off the scale! :shock:

These people with these so called "anxieties" simply haven't lived.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:Avocado,Prosecco.
I've never had either,so my anxiety must be off the scale! :shock:

These people with these so called "anxieties" simply haven't lived.

+1
Be more Mike.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

661-Pete wrote:Going back to the original quote - I am utterly bemused by this reference to avocados.

Not least because I am particularly partial to them - a little weakness of mine. I often have one (half if it's a big one) for breakfast. Yes I've read all the dire warnings in the media about 'avocado famine' and the environmental damage being done in Mexico (I try to avoid buying Mexican avocados if I can).

My god your heartless.
All those poor Mexicans who loose their income, whose children will not have breakfast today, whose schools will close ....all because you and others boycott Mexican Avocados.....
:lol:

However ... there's a serious side to first world boycotts....
In the 80's there was a campaign by a children's charity to end the terrible exploitation of children in a South American brick works.
Children as young as 5 carrying bricks to the furnace in kiddies wheel barrows .... how awful ..
However the charity missed out on the reality check.
The children worked only 2 hours per day, they received 2 meals and 4 hours schooling paid for by the brick company.
As a result of the first world outcry the brick company installed conveyors to move the bricks around and closed the canteens and schools.

Result !! ??
Be more Mike.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

landsurfer wrote:..........What planet are you on .... we 're having a great time ...mostly.
All our family anxiety is as a result of own goals ...
The kids are happy, soon they will breathe better air as electric cars take over, renewable power will make life work cleanly and if climate change predictions are accurate we will have a beach at Worksop rather than having to drive 80 miles to one ....
The planet will never become "unliveable' as the GAIA principle will out ...
Victorian parents probably said just what you posted ...

I'm on a planet where over 40% of green land in our village (or what was a village) has been built on since my children were born. I'm in a world where, even on a Sunday morning, it is difficult to cross the main road through our village - I'm on a planet where social media invades all human life, and where it's used to plan and plot terrorism - I'm on a planet where over half the world is starving and the wealth is in fewer and fewer hands year on year - I'm on a planet where sexual abuse of children fills more pages of news than children's achievements - our NHS is at breaking point because of self-inflicted problems.........and electric cars or not, exhausts are only a small part of cars' environmental impact.................I'm not being awful, I'm really not, but do look around you.

The question was about what causes anxiety - not about what we rejoice about. I don't want this to be taken in a way in which it most certainly isn't intended, but the question was asked, and I answered it.
Last edited by JohnW on 10 Oct 2017, 10:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Thats the problem JohnW people do not look around them ...

Go on Google Earth, click on your house, see your garden, you car, your old car even.
Then pull back, click by click, frame by frame, the beautiful UK is empty....
Really, try it,
Its green and brown ...
And empty.

70% of the population of Cornwall live in the Truro / Redruth / Camborne conurbation.
Cornwall's bought!
Paved over!
But my Brother -in -Law, riddled with Cornish, laughs at this ....
Cornwall's empty.
Because humans, like certain atomic particles, like to be close together.
Our towns and cities become intense conurbations.
But the "empty bits" prevail.
Be more Mike.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The things that make me anxious...

Being late
Unsolved dilemmas
Big crowds (these days)

I live only 40 miles from London yet I can ride 40 miles on my MTB and only see a couple of people, the air is clear and wholesome. Our village has to accept 360 extra houses...we are planning how we can integrate and provide for the new residents in our community. I believe we are continuously taking steps to control pollution and greenhouse gases and as long as that continues and we make third world countries aware of it things are going the right way. I believe the vast majority of politicians are trying to make things better and control the minority of evil ones.The NHS around here is as good as its always been.

Cynicism, the left wing press and the BBC are often destructive, a whirlpool that will take you to the depths of depression - avoid!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

landsurfer wrote:My god your heartless.
All those poor Mexicans who loose their income, whose children will not have breakfast today, whose schools will close ....all because you and others boycott Mexican Avocados.....
It's got more to do with cutting down the rain forests to make way for avocado plantations, and then using up scarce water supplies for irrigation, than it has to do with subsistence farming.

Anyway I only said "I try to avoid". Not quite a boycott.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

al_yrpal wrote:The things that make me anxious...

Being late
Unsolved dilemmas
Big crowds (these days)
Yep.
That's me.

Plus ..........
Planning a bike ride, even up to the moment I get on the bike and set off.
Staying up late and worrying if I'll be too tired the following morning.
Mick F. Cornwall
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

landsurfer wrote:Its green and brown ...
And empty.

No it isn't.

The green bits tend to be intensive farming (nearly 70% of our land area), what remains is either tainted by humans or of no (current) use to us.
Any large animals we once had are gone, most of our forests are gone. Monocultures are the norm of what remains along with all the problems the lack of genetic diversity brings.

The only thing the green and brown bits have is a lack of people but you can't use the lack of people to claim the world is empty, not when that "emptiness" is required to support those people that do exist.

Over exploitation of natural resources is a function of capitalism and human greed. Exploit now, let our children inherit sweet fa. Makes you wonder why we had them in the first place.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

661-Pete wrote:Going back to the original quote - I am utterly bemused by this reference to avocados.

Not least because I am particularly partial to them - a little weakness of mine. I often have one (half if it's a big one) for breakfast.

A useless but nevertheless rather astonishing and interesting fact (and thread drift!) is that around 90% of the worlds commercially sold Acocados are of the "Hass" variety.
First grown from a seed (whose origin is unknown) in 1926, all Avocados of this variety stem from this (now defunct) single "Mother Tree".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hass_avocado
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

There has always been an "idle rich" whose only worries are things like avocados and prosecco (whatever that is). That a far greater proportion of the population is only concerned about such things suggests life is better, for more people, now, surely?

The concern, I think, is that we may be approaching (or even over) a peak, after which conditions will deteriorate with increasing rapidity. "Peak-Tech" perhaps, where new information can no longer be usefully deployed. There's always someone suggesting that, though, and it hasn't happened yet. There's also an idea that as a population (so mainly other people), having "never had it so good", we (they) will become complacent and no longer work hard enough (other people again, particularly "the young") to maintain what has previously been achieved.

So we worry... about not having anything to worry about.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mick F wrote:............Staying up late and worrying if I'll be too tired the following morning.

Mick - I know all about that one! It usually ends up with me setting off later than I should and then it's dark when I'm on my last 20 miles or so to home.