Why are dynamo front lights so expensive?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Why are dynamo front lights so expensive?

Post by Mick F »

According to DPD, it's now in Hinckley, Leicestershire.
Due delivery tomorrow.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It arrived late this afternoon.
I was absolutely gobsmacked how small and light it is. I imagined these dynamo front lights were bigger and chunkier, but this is small, neat and very very light.

Despite Brucey's recommendations, I've fitted it on the brake bridge like it's deigned for. Yes, I'm aware that it'll jiggle and vibrate because I have suspension, but I want to see for myself. I'll be taking a battery light on the 'bars as a "just in case" when I go out later tonight or more likely tomorrow morning before dawn.

Before fitting it, I mounted the front wheel in my wheel jig and connected the light and then spun the wheel to see at what wheel-revs it would work. I estimate that at 5mph it will be ok. Flashy a bit, but ok for riding up very steep Cornish lanes at walking speed. I'll give it a good dynamic test ride in the dark and report back. :D
IMG_0235.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Test ride complete.
I left home just after 5am and was away an hour.
I picked dark lanes and some steep uphills, plus some fast dark descents.
8miles done.

1. The light did not jiggle in the slightest mounted on the brake bolt. This is despite my picking bumpy poorly surfaced lanes and doing maybe 25mph down the hills.

2. The light is a bit low. It could really do with being mounted higher, but it wasn't a great problem. I had a dynamo front light mounted on Mercian's forks for many years, and it reminded me of it - having a light mounted low, rather than on the 'bars.

3. The light was bright enough. It could have been brighter, but it was ok. The beam pattern was ok but there was a couple of "whiskers" out to the side and slightly upwards. I could see the beam pattern very well due to the valley mists.

4. The standlight glowed for a couple of minutes or more. I got bored waiting for it to go out when I stopped to test it out.

5. I picked a very steep lane and was in super-low bottom gear of 16" and at 2 or 3 mph, the light was still bright, though a little flickery.

6. Very pleased indeed. I'd prefer brighter, but it'll do.
Mick F. Cornwall
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Have you run on the flat and adjusted in fine increments up/down to get optimal throw. You may find that you haven't quite got it set at best angle yet and it then may appear to light up more of the road ahead( or seem brighter ). It's surprising what a very small change in angle does with my cyo premium. I see artefacts with the cyo premium too, but they aren't distracting and it depends on the road surface as to how visible I find them. Some surfaces "smooth" them out somewhat, but never a major issue. The flickering at critically low speeds is to be accepted.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

old_windbag wrote:Have you run on the flat and adjusted in fine increments up/down to get optimal throw.
TBH, I tweaked it as a went along!

I've now mounted it higher up, so it could be that the beam pattern will be better. I think that possibly, having it low down, needed the beam pointing up a tad ......... if you see what I mean.
Now it's high up, the angle of the light unit itself, will be angled down a bit, rather than maybe horizontal like before.

I won't know until I've had another go.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Had another pre-dawn ride yesterday and this time with the lamp high up.
The beam was better and the road lit up better too.
The beam "whiskers" were still there. It's obviously a symptom of a cheaper lens.

Back in the day when I had a BB dynamo powering a halogen bulb, the lens created a square beam and well focussed with no whiskers at all. Must have been far a better lens than my new lamp.

No probs though. It's just a "characteristic".
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Almost certainly no lens, but a reflector in the new one. So whiskers happen at seams/joins. I can't say I've noticed any with my light, but I could be less fussy ;) I could also be sat further back, and so not see them as easily...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, you're correct.
It has a focused rear reflector, and the front is clear flat plastic. TBH, I hadn't looked, just assumed. :oops:

Can't see any seams or joins, but I'll have a better look later.
Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

Mick F wrote:3. The light was bright enough. It could have been brighter, but it was ok. The beam pattern was ok but there was a couple of "whiskers" out to the side and slightly upwards. I could see the beam pattern very well due to the valley mists.

Since it is based on the Philips saferide I'd expect the "whiskers" to look somewhat like the ones in the beam patterns here.

Mick F wrote:6. Very pleased indeed. I'd prefer brighter, but it'll do.

Good to hear, I've been thinking about getting one as it might be better (for me) than my current B&M Cyo IQ Senso. I'm not sure if the Spanninga will fit a standard B&M mounting bracket which could be the decider.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks Gaz.
This is the one!
Saves my attempting to photograph it.
philips-beampattern-wall-fuji2600z.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

gaz wrote: I've been thinking about getting one as it might be better (for me) than my current B&M Cyo IQ Senso. I'm not sure if the Spanninga will fit a standard B&M mounting bracket which could be the decider.
The mounting bolt is M5 and the support is 10mm wide.

I tipped the light right down to show.
IMG_0252.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

Mick F wrote:... the support is 10mm wide.

Thanks, 10mm is just right. I might ask Santa to get me one.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I don't know, but it sounds to me that they are all basically the same mounting sizes.
Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

From your figures B&M and Spanninga both use a 10mm mount, the Philips version didn't.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Mick F wrote:Thanks Gaz.
This is the one!
Saves my attempting to photograph it.

Crikey thats quite a pattern. When I say the cyo premium has artefacts I certainly didn't mean to that degree, simply areas of banding. These are just purely from the reflector and on the cyo premium the reflector is segmented giving rise to what I see, the LED being hidden.

Originally on the dutch( I think ) reviewers site of the saferide, he had a massive beef about B+M's cyo, cyo premium lights. Yet I've found it fine.