Up for a ride?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
cookie32

Re: Up for a ride?

Post by cookie32 »

Another great ride in the books. Everything was perfect in my estimation. Starting with great company thx to Jon, Brian, David, and Alan and Nigel for making long drive for the ride. We were even given a day that improved as the ride went along. I don't think we set any land speed records on this one but if there's a record for enjoyment I'd cast a ballot for us.
We set off from Shepreth on to Bicicletta De Cafe in Saffron Waldon where we were joined by Brians wife for a nice break before heading back. Oh, I best not forget to thank Brians wife for the lovely tea cake which made for the perfect excuse to stop alone the way but really for my legs to recover after some bad gear changes, lol. Good times as always, thanks guys.

[youtube]TSGnqUfBYmA [/youtube]
Last edited by cookie32 on 16 Oct 2017, 2:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only dead men have seen the end of wars

Pashley PDQ, Performer 922
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Here's what I'm thinking. A ride from Angels Cafe to Ely or Five Miles from Anywhere. The second option a ride from somewhere in Soham to the Denver Complex and reversing our route to avoid the confusion we had last time unless someone is willing to up navigation duties for a different route back. What're you guys thinking?

Will

hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

Were you thinking 22nd or 29th October ?
Not sure exactly where Dever Complex is, but importantly, is there a cafe there ? Sorry, just answered that myself - I spy Jenyns Arms pub is open from 12 on Sundays. http://www.jenynsarms.com/ Is that the destination ?
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

I was thinking the last Sunday so the 29th. Last time we stopped at golf course, which had a very limited selection and a guy that led Dave and an I astray for 15 miles or so. This place looks promising, I'm happy to stop there. I'll call to confirm opening hours and check out this road closure to the Denver Sluice.

Will

hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

29th is good for me. I'll look at routes too, and already thinking that we'll want to head off from Soham (Daveyboy will be able to use his trike and fairing if he doesn't have to use the car to get to a start) ?
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Sounds good to me.
The map will be something like this.
https://goo.gl/maps/HxaVgnnXqM22

cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Finer details as promised.
The route is estimating roughly a 90 minute ride so setting off at 9 is touch early but between pull ups, cake breaks and touring the Sluice I reckon that'll cover the extra 35 to 40 minutes we have to waste until the Jenyns Arms opens at noon. I think thats sound planning if there is such a thing with planning a ride. The last time I tried this my spokes on my rear wheel started popping like popcorn. There's free parking at Scampers and plenty of it so no worries there. Ok, less blah blah blah and more DETAILS!

DETAIL:
meeting time Sunday the 29th of Octobrer at 0900
parking location Northfield Business Park, Northfield Rd, Soham, Ely CB7 5UE, UK
planned route https://goo.gl/maps/UDvHt2Mg6422
Jenyns Arms http://www.jenynsarms.com/

As always if there are any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Will

davyboy

Post by davyboy »

Hi all the golf club café does hot food as well as cakes very good venue. Its one of my favourite stops.There is a new pub next to the windmill just opened, real ale.
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

FYI: Don't forget the clocks go back this Sunday guys.

cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

This ride doesn't seem to like me. This is my third go at it and once again there was calamity. The winds were up for the ride to Denver and to top it off I had a loss crank on the off drive side. I slowed us down quite a bit for the first 6 or 7 miles but thanks to John showing up I was able to fix the crank by the time I got to 10 mile bank.
Like I said before the wind was pushing us back pretty good on the way to Jenyns pub but we had it on our backs heading home which is the way we like it. Usual suspects all showed up (Jon, Dave, and Brian) with a guest appearance from Wobbly John to save the day with a crank tool, doesn't sound appropriate I know but its true. All and all a great time looking forward to the next, thx for showing guys, and thx for watching the videos.

[youtube]FL4o2jefg5Y[/youtube]

hoarder

Post by hoarder »

Thanks for the video, Will. Indeed, a good day out, and no matter about those mechanicals - they're the unexpected that make each ride out memorable - Brian's ability to conjur up tea cake week in, week out; Davey's front light's effect on mad fluorescent-coloured Porsche drivers, causing them to stop and proclaim they're also cyclists; and my own wonderment at how cold my toes end up at the end, despite two pairs of socks and insulating insoles....maybe that was the wind again. :|
davyboy

Post by davyboy »

Yes it was a fun ride always seems to be windy re your cold feet you need a pair of WIGWAM socks I bought mine from over the pond but you can now get them in the UK.Happy riding.
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Back by popular demand!
Looks like a ride to Bury St. Edmund for breakfast is in order. We haven't done this in quite sometime, really looking forward to it. I've done a quick map to show the perspective route as it may change the morning of but The starting location is fixed. Due to the location I can't find free parking so there will be a pay parking area in the details below, which is very cheap. I have the Station Bar and Grill as the location for Breakfast but that may well change on the morning depending on the gang. Hoarder, Davyboy, and Atlasshrugged have all confirmed they're going. As always all are welcome join in on the fun and feel free with to message me with any questions.

Vitals
TIME: DEC 3RD @0800
ROUTING: https://goo.gl/maps/jvUNbXmA7Bw
PARKING: Forest Heath and St Edmundsbury Councils
Rous Road
Suffolk
Newmarket
CB8 8LX
The ride should be over by 1300. It cost 1 quid for 3hrs and charges don't start until 11, so no problem there.
BREAKFAST: https://www.burystedmundssmokehouse.com/

I think I covered everything, see you there.

hoarder

Post by hoarder »

Yep, I'm in.

Just a quick comment: Free all-day parking on-street, not too far from the Clock Tower - B1063 Old Station Road, direction heading away from Newmarket, beyond junction with All Saints Road. It's adjacent to the bottom of the Newmarket Gallops, so watch out for highly-strung racehorses crossing the road (their reaction to 'bents is not predictable - DAHIKT). At that time on a Sunday morning, there'll be plenty of spaces (and if you're unlucky, horses and their jockeys).

https://goo.gl/maps/DDJv3ysTvP82

Recommended as Rous Road Car Park may reject any payment made before 11.00 am.
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Thanks hoarder