School trying to make helmets compulsory

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Vorpal

Re: School trying to make helmets compulsory

Post by Vorpal »

landsurfer wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
landsurfer wrote:it's important we recognise the issue of the risk averse

FTFY

See what your doing here, but slightly missing the point.

It is absolutely not missing the point, unless you are being sexist.

The problem is risk aversion. While British women may be somewhat more risk averse than men, it doesn't actually have anything to do with gender.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Vorpal wrote:
landsurfer wrote:
Vorpal wrote:FTFY

See what your doing here, but slightly missing the point.

It is absolutely not missing the point, unless you are being sexist.

The problem is risk aversion. While British women may be somewhat more risk averse than men, it doesn't actually have anything to do with gender.

Have you actually read your post ?

And swap the word sexist for racist and you will have an understanding of how the events in Rotherham, Oxford etc unfolded.

And Back to compulsory helmets .......
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

The comments to this 2012 article still seem relevant.
HTH
"42"
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

landsurfer wrote:
Vorpal wrote:The problem is risk aversion. While British women may be somewhat more risk averse than men, it doesn't actually have anything to do with gender.

And swap the word sexist for racist and you will have an understanding of how the events in Rotherham, Oxford etc unfolded.

There's a nature/nurture element to this, women might be more risk averse but to state that's a direct result of gender is an assumption, it may be upbringing biases. Similarly there's a causality direction issue with the teaching.

As it is, the profession, particularly at primary level, seems to attract the risk averse. This then causes the lack of gender balance in teachers. In your gdaughters school, the chances are that the male teacher is also risk averse.

I don't think Rotherham is relevant here either. No one's suggesting not tackling the issue to avoid looking sexist which would be the equivalent.

At any rate, I don't think throwing 'RaF' at the school is going to do anything but entrench positions and undermine other arguments.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Stevek76 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:
Vorpal wrote:The problem is risk aversion. While British women may be somewhat more risk averse than men, it doesn't actually have anything to do with gender.

At any rate, I don't think throwing 'RaF' at the school is going to do anything but entrench positions and undermine other arguments.

Which is why i haven't.
Be more Mike.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

This is not Off - Topic although it discusses alarm clocks, however many of the actual discussion points are relevant

There is a discussion on the BBC's Sunday Morning Live

A school has sent all its pupils an alarm clock, asking that children do not take mobile phones to bed.

The discussion is about where the boundaries actually lie with Teacher's and School's responsibilities end

You will be able to find it on iPlayer
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

I recall back in the 1960's I asked the teacher who gave them authority tell us what to do in out time, after 4.00pm regarding home work. My view is similar today, they have no authority to tell children what to do after 4.00pm or when the school day ends. Otherwise bit by bit they can keep on telling children how to spend their time and weekends. This approach would lead to all homework being optional.
nez

Post by nez »

I was once held in detention for not wearing my school cap on a bus seven miles from the bloody school. Back in the 1960s
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Allowing schools to dictate what children wear is taking this right away from parents. Providing what they wear is reasonable, it should be up to the parents who have to buy the cloths.
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

Have just seen this thread. This decision definitely has to be fought. As others have noted, it will lead to other schools taking this attitude and eventually to compulsion for all, and will ensure more schoolchildren do not take sufficient exercise and the health consequences that brings.

Two points I would challenge:

a) She says it will bring the school into line with other secondary schools, which implies that all other schools already confiscate bikes from their students. I would be astounded if that was true.

b) She says they won't allow any student to ride away from school without wearing a helmet. If you are able to spare the time, I would ride with your child, and challenge the school to stop your child riding with you from school helmetless. If they did try, it would make a perfect photo opportunity for the press.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jon Lucas wrote:... If they did try, it would make a perfect photo opportunity for the press.

I'm sure that's right but I'm not convinced it would be presented as a principled parent's attempt to protect their child's freedom of choice.
meic

Post by meic »

I would ride with your child, and challenge the school to stop your child riding with you from school helmetless.

The school's responsibility lasts up until you take the responsibility back from them. If you have taken the child from the school by foot, car, helicopter or cycle then they have relinquished responsibility at that point.
They wouldnt interfere for just as long as you are willing to come and collect the child, it is only if you dont collect the child that they will exert their authority up until you take it back.
My council (rather than school) will only accept that by having your physical presence and not a letter etc saying that you allow your child to leave the institution's responsibility before being physically with you or your representative.
Yma o Hyd
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

meic wrote:My council (rather than school) will only accept that by having your physical presence and not a letter etc saying that you allow your child to leave the institution's responsibility before being physically with you or your representative.

At what age are children allowed any autonomy? Can a 15 year old be trusted to cross a busy road, where there is no pelican crossing? Can he be trusted to stand on a railway platform?
meic

Post by meic »

Oops, I missed out the mention of primary school there. When entering secondary school they instantly leap to the position of responsibility to walk themselves three miles, alone in the dark, crossing dual carriageways etc etc, from previously not being able to walk from the taxi to through the door which it has stopped outside.
Yma o Hyd
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I think you will find the age of 13 is the watershed.
Be more Mike.