Pain in crutch when getting on bike

Grumpyoldbiker

Pain in crutch when getting on bike

Post by Grumpyoldbiker »

I might be laying myself open to a lot of jokes, but if I get an answer, I can put up with that!

I have recently been getting a pain, and sometimes what feels like a pulled muscle in my crutch when getting onto my bike. I think it is to do with the muscles that I use to lift my (left) leg sideways to get onto the bike.

Once I have done it, it is aggravated by any movement involving sideways movement of the leg which involves lifting the leg or putting weight on it when stretching the leg to the side, such as getting in and out of a car.

I'm fairly sure it isn't anything other than muscular/tendon pain as it usually occurs when i am careless then subsides with care.

Has anyone else experienced this and have you got any tips for avoidance/physio exercises?

Regards

Peter
Tangled Metal

Re: Pain in crutch when getting on bike

Post by Tangled Metal »

I have had a few rushed mounts onto my bike before now which resulted in one of those pains that start in the groin then extends up into the abdomen. It's a bit like a knock to the jewels but I didn't knock them.

I have learnt that the few seconds saved by rushing the bike mount isn't worth it. Took a few of those painful messages to work it out and remember it though.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yes getting out of a low car can bring it on, I did it as well as my partner, though this was stretching one leg too much with a new car.

Try moving both legs out of car before you get up / physiotherapy which means a trip to see one.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Grumpyoldbiker wrote:I might be laying myself open to a lot of jokes, but if I get an answer, I can put up with that!

Hopefully you'll get some good, useful replies.

I'm no physio but it seems eminently likely that you've pulled a muscle. I always swing my leg over the bike to get on to keep it flexible and fit for the future (it's one of the benefits of riding a bike!). I should try with the other leg too but rarely do.

I think a trip to a physio is in order with some recommendations for looking after it. My own suggestion would be to keep using it but gently and slowly and never when in pain and (as suggested upthread) using both feet on the ground etc to get in and out of cars, off chairs until you are certain about it.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I can't say that I've experienced that, but we cannot diagnose anything on here. If it is still painful, it may be best to rest it, and if it doesn't get better in a few days, see your GP.

As far as avoiding it goes, I can suggest two things:
-lean the bike towards you when you mount so that you don't have to raise your leg as much
-try something like yoga to tone and strengthen muscles
You can also try putting your leg over the top tube or handlebars, instead of over the saddle. I learned to do that when I had kids on the back of my bike.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Vorpal wrote:You can also try putting your leg over the top tube or handlebars, instead of over the saddle. I learned to do that when I had kids on the back of my bike.

Doesn't half scare the wits* out of them the other way.

* to be polite.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
pwa

Post by pwa »

If it were me, with my dislike of getting doctors involved, I would try to avoid the movements that cause discomfort for a few weeks, and give it time to heal itself. There must be a good chance that would work. I've had ligament damage to other areas of my body and rest has always fixed it.
Grumpyoldbiker

Post by Grumpyoldbiker »

Many thanks for all the helpful replies. Went for a short ride today and I am pretty sure it is getting on the bike too quickly that is causing it. As suggested I took it easy, using the kerb height, bending the knee and leaning the bike towards me, it definitely helped. It does not hurt at all when cycling normally on the bike, even when getting out of the saddle. I think I will take it carefully for a while and see if that cures it, if not I will try a physio.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Grumpyoldbiker wrote:I might be laying myself open to a lot of jokes, but if I get an answer, I can put up with that!

I have recently been getting a pain, and sometimes what feels like a pulled muscle in my crutch when getting onto my bike. I think it is to do with the muscles that I use to lift my (left) leg sideways to get onto the bike.

Once I have done it, it is aggravated by any movement involving sideways movement of the leg which involves lifting the leg or putting weight on it when stretching the leg to the side, such as getting in and out of a car.

I'm fairly sure it isn't anything other than muscular/tendon pain as it usually occurs when i am careless then subsides with care.

Has anyone else experienced this and have you got any tips for avoidance/physio exercises?

Regards

Peter

No wonder you are grumpy (someone had to say it)
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

There are various back injuries that can refer pain to the groin/testicular area.
cotswolds

Post by cotswolds »

I get something similar, and for me the following helps:

1. Sit on a dining chair, left foot flat on the floor, right leg crossed over left with right ankle on left knee.
2. Get right knee as low as you comfortably can without straining anything.
3. Using your hands to hold down your right knee, use your muscles to try and force your right knee upwards. Hold for 10 at least 10 seconds. Relax and repeat - you'll probably get the right knee a bit lower the second time.

If this - or same thing swapping left and right - feels like it hits the spot it will probably help, but it may be completely irrelevant - lots of muscle attachments round there that could be hurting. It's not a bad idea to do this both sides even if it only hurts one way, otherwise you'll get a muscle imbalance which can cause other problems.

Incidentally, the muscles that move the leg sideways away from the body (abductors) are on the outside of the leg so it's unlikely to be one of those, much more likely that something that pulls it back in (adductor) is being stretched more than it likes.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Groin strains,if that is what it is,won,t clear up quickly.They are,unfortunately,one injury that can drag on for a month or two then just disappear.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

I had something similar a couple of weeks ago, never did get to the cause of it, sometimes I think it was just bits getting caught in the shorts.
david7591

Post by david7591 »

Does the pain occur regardless of which leg you swing over the saddle?