26" x 1¼" rims Airlite SF hubs - WHICH SPOKES and NIPPLES? Sorted :)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
deliquium

26" x 1¼" rims Airlite SF hubs - WHICH SPOKES and NIPPLES? Sorted :)

Post by deliquium »

Friend has asked me to build some wheels using EDIT: stainless steel? 26" x 1¼" rims (32/40) and small flange Airlite hubs. Which spokes and nipples to use?

It appears these require 15/17g spokes and appropriate nipples.

The rims' spoke drillings are too small for Sapim Polyax nipples and the hub drillings are too small for the threaded part of a 2mm spoke end.

What does the modern builder do?
Last edited by deliquium on 18 Oct 2017, 12:30pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Brucey

Re: 26" x 1¼" rims Airlite SF hubs - WHICH SPOKES and NIPPLES?

Post by Brucey »

DT still make 15g PG spokes and they may well do a lightweight DB spoke that fits the hubs too. The elbow length will be wrong though (so you may have to use washers), and the nipples still won't fit the rim perhaps.

If the rim is drilled to suit then the plating (if there is any) will be lost in the hole. Possibly it is better to machine the nipples down, although you will lose the finish on those too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Edited as just realised rims aren't chrome plated steel, so possibly Dunlop “Stainless Special Lightweight”?
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
AM7

Post by AM7 »

deliquium wrote:Edited as just realised rims aren't chrome plated steel, so possibly Dunlop “Stainless Special Lightweight”?

If they are Dunlop Special Lightweight, it would be stamped on the inside of the rim, like this:
(The stainless versions say Dunlop Stainless Special Lightweight :) )

Not very helpful, but I've rebuilt 26 X 1 1/4 Dunlop Stainless Special Lightweight and regular Dunlop EA1 chrome plated rims onto Harden and Bayliss & Wiley hubs (which I would guess would be of similar vintage as the Airlites) using ACI 14/16 instead of the original 15/17 spokes and had no problems with either the the spokes or nipples.

Having said that, a while ago I heard that Madgett's Cycles in Diss still had 15/17 spokes so it may be worth checking with them if they can help?
BigG

Post by BigG »

I still have a pair of Harden large flange hubs dating back to 1952 (not the original bearings, of course). I had to replace the old 15/17G "rustless" spokes some years ago and used modern stainless steel 14/16G (Sapim IIRC). To fit these, I simply drilled out the spoke holes using (IIRC again) a 3/32" drill. The alloy of the hubs is quite soft and the spokes easily bedded in to give a tight fit. I think Airlites had alloy flanges on a steel barrel. If that is the case, you could do the same.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Many thanks for all the advice :)

MADGETTS sell stainless steel 15/17/15g DT SWISS spokes and nipples :D

Thanks AM7 for the photo of the Dunlop rims. It appears the rims I have are Conloy ASP rims. They are indeed aluminium not stainless steel, as I 'thought' :roll:
Attachments
0784.jpg
0783.jpg
Last edited by deliquium on 25 Oct 2017, 12:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current pedalable joys

Brucey

Post by Brucey »

they should build up into a really nice set of period correct wheels!

cheers
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Brucey wrote:they should build up into a really nice set of period correct wheels!

cheers

Hopefully :) But I've just noticed the front hub flanges aren't staggered! More learning informs me the alloy Airlite flanges are a push fit on the steel axle body, so will have to sort that out before the spokes arrive from Norfolk. All good fun :D
Current pedalable joys

Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IME the flanges 'sort themselves out' during building, if necessary by tensioning the spokes appropriately to pull them round.

cheers
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Brucey wrote:IME the flanges 'sort themselves out' during building, if necessary by tensioning the spokes appropriately to pull them round.

cheers

Thanks for that tip Brucey :)
Current pedalable joys

AM7

Post by AM7 »

deliquium wrote:MADGETTS sell stainless steel 15/17/15g spokes and nipples :D

It's good to have that confirmed :D
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Brucey wrote:IME the flanges 'sort themselves out' during building, if necessary by tensioning the spokes appropriately to pull them round.

cheers

This is indeed the case with the front wheel I've just built :D

Saved me having to find out how to remove the flanges from the axle barrel
Current pedalable joys