Chain Reaction Cycles

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
arnsider

Re: Chain Reaction Cycles

Post by arnsider »

Well, I got into the chat queue at five and it took them 30 minutes to get back to me with the news that I'd been refunded.
Shame they didn't have the courtesy to reply to my e mails or advise the refund.
End of!
willcee

Post by willcee »

Tues last.. ordered a bundle shim 105 cassette and chain, paid extra for immediate dispatch which it isn't, chain arrived friday am, complained friday mid morning... parts arriving from 2 sources by courier, refund on extra delivery cost with no probs, but still awaiting delivery on cassette by sat morning, arrived sat late afternoon, had to source another cassette locally with the ensuing extra cost passed on to the end customer.. bit of a worry as owner needed bike for the sunday rides.. in the past had stuff religiously in 2 days.. I know from speaking last friday to the customer service guys in DOAGH previous head office and warehouse.. they aren't happy, and mentioned a change in wording where you paid for the fast service , its only fast picking not fast delivery.. and they are 35 miles from me max.. will
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Used to be very good: used them a lot. BUT, currently still waiting for a tyre ordered mid-Sept (when "in stock") despite having been reassured that it was now "in-stock" and on its way soon :(

PS: after prodding them again
I have investigated this further and unfortunately there was a system error, which has prevented your order from progressing. I am sorry to inform you that we have been unable to resolve this issue, I have therefore cancelled this order.

I have processed a refund back to your original payment method, this may take up to 5 working days to arrive back into your account.

On the plus side they have answered e-mail queries about this order very quickly.

PPS: Refund appeared on my PayPal a/c after 7 working days and another e-mail prod :?
Last edited by squeaker on 3 Nov 2017, 10:24am, edited 2 times in total.
"42"
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Looking at this thread, there are good reviews and bad reviews of CRC.
That says one thing.
Their customer service is inconsistent, in other words their philosophy is fine but they cannot manage it.
ThePinkOne

Post by ThePinkOne »

I haven't ordered off them for a while, but last week I ordered 8 metres of green gear outer for doing new (longer) outers on my Big Dummy, they were the only place that had green. Based on previous purchases I was expecting one long length, and as it was on offer I'd ordered enough to have some spare for mistakes/future changes.

They dispatched quickly, and when I opened the box, there were 8 packs of green outer...... my heart sank as I needed a 3-metre length for the longest run. However, when I opened one of the packs, I found each length was far more than a metre..... in fact, each pack probably contains 5 metres.I certainly have plenty spare :shock: :lol:

It did come across a bit like they were just off-loading stock? It arrived in a Wiggle box, so obviously some bringing-together of the warehouse end of the business going on. Wonder if they are planning to merge the 2 businesses?

TPO
Winterflaw

Post by Winterflaw »

Best prices on the market, dreadful customer support.

I placed two separate orders, one for wheels, one much later for a groupset.

For the wheels, I was unable to pay using my Revolut Mastercard - transaction refused.

I contacted CRC customer support, who insisted repeatedly it was not them but the bank.

I contacted the bank, who were equally sure it was not them.

I gave up trying to order.

Shortly after, I noticed it's possible to pay via bank to bank transfer.

Customer support did not have the wit to suggest this (in fact, they were as I recall insisting the problem was that my browser needed to clear cache and cookies - despite the order being *placed*, and *then* refused, by their back-end server.)

I ordered because I would literally have paid twice as much at the next cheapest placed to buy these wheels - an extra 600 GBP or so.

This experience put me off, so I bought the groupset at Wiggle.

I didn't know Wiggle and CRC had some years ago become one and the same.

Wiggle actually managed to be worse than CRC.

CRC when the order could not be placed *told me so*.

Wiggle accepted the order, and then silently cancelled it.

When I chased them up two weeks later, they indicated the order had been cancelled, and they hadn't told me.

I think they then lied to me about the cause, claiming a system upgrade, because they told me if I ordered again to mark the order specifically for attention of their fraud team.

CRC are incompetent, but they're not actually abusive - they don't lie.

I went to get my groupset from them (it was just after this I found out they were one with Wiggle).

I placed the groupset order on Sunday and issued the transfer.

CRC unlike every other site on the Internet call the front mech band-on adapter a braze-on adapter, so I didn't see they had one - and I need one.

I realised after placing the order.

I decided to contact them Monday morning and have the order modified.

I contact them 10am Monday, and the response is : I'll need to tell another team, they'll contact you in a few hours.

I ask the chap if it would be easier for me to cancel the order, and re-make it.

"I will ask my colleague to get back to yo on this also."

FIve hours later *the same guy* emails me and says "it is now too late to modify your order".

Now, it might be these guys are just really quick at getting orders out the door and so actually this is a sign of a job well done.

But the order was placed on a Sunday and I contacted them 10am Monday.

I think they *could* have amended the order - just they *did not*.

There is a desperate need for more competition in this market.

If Wiggle/CRC can offer these prices, so can others - or somewhat more, if customer support costs money; but I can't imagine customer support costs an extra 40% on prices.

I suspect regulation is making it hard for new entrants to get into the market.

The choice now for good prices is Wiggle, who I think lie to customers, and CRC, who are dreadful to customers.

Thankfully I'm leaving the UK in a few months - hopefully overseas retailers are better (but they won't be - all companies are appalling.)
Last edited by Graham on 23 Apr 2018, 9:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: So . . .So . .
willcee

Post by willcee »

CRC up until they got enfangled with Wiggle were my go to guys , not now, out of 600 odd employees at their Ballyclare Doagh hanger there are less than 100 LEFT, i expect that morale is in the pits, as i foresee nothing been left in my country, N.Ireland, that at one time not so long ago were the largest on line CYCLE parts and bikes retailer in the known world.. I read just last week that a CRC whistleblower says the holding company have just bought BIKE24 in Germany, together with saying morale is dead and everyone is waiting on their P45 arriving in the post!!and that the previous owner WATSON who started his business back in the 80's out of a LBS premises never appeared at any of the staff meetings where the whole mess was explained. Its all in the Midlands now except any stock thats still in the Doagh warehouse hanger..such is modern business.. I used to advise dealer principals in motor franchises that you can have a gin palace showroom and workshop, be selling top marque cars..But... if you have the wrong people around you... you have a problem..morale is very important, and a bit of praise for any employee is better than a tenner, looking after your people is important.. period.. will
Graham

Post by Graham »

This recent order may be my final order to CRC.

Initially I was presented with tempting prices, only to find that at completion time I needed to change the "Despatch to" default from Guernsey to UK.

Et, voila the prices increased by 15% in total.

Website glitch or cynical chicanery ?

Anyhow, having done the work I proceeded with it.

I'll let you know if the order delivery, to a Collect+ location, is timely and trouble-free.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Chain Reaction prices are no longer what they were.

And they no longer sell much of the stuff I need.

They regularly send me mails about supposedly wonderful discounts but it is most of the time stuff that was overpriced to start with.

Some idle amusement in looking at some of the super super discounts on appalling looking clothing I wouldn't be seen dead in if they paid my estate.
Sweep
Graham

Post by Graham »

I placed the order on Saturday, expecting nothing to happen until Monday at the earliest.

The items were "picked" and dispatched on Sunday.

The parcel arrived at the selected Collect+ place just after 11:00 on Monday.

( And the delivery tracking info was timely & useful. )

I'm quite impressed.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

When they get it right they are good, but when they get it wrong they haven't a clue about how to correct it.

Recent order had too much in it - over enthusiastic picker at the warehouse? - being honest I told them,and they said they would send a courier to collect, which they did - but only when I was at work despite me telling them what time I get home. Couple of e-mails later they just told me to keep the extra as a gesture of goodwill. Obviously Hermes can't work a clock and time their pickups to coincide with customer requests.

At least I have a clear conscience, having a attempted to do the right thing.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I think the fault was Hermes there chris.

They have an appalling reputation.

And I have appalling personal experience of them.
Sweep
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Last week I ordered £140 worth of stuff from CRC, ordered Thursday, delivered Saturday, tracked via Royal Mail, free delivery. I was out on my bike, but luckily my wife stayed in to watch the Wedding. The only problem I had was that was unable to change the billing address on my account. I used to have stuff delivered to my parents, but their address has never been my billing address. I now mostly work from home so can have stuff delivered here. I changed the delivery address ok, but the site wouldn't let me change the billing address. I was expecting problems as the billing address didn't match my card, but the payment went through OK.

CRC are still my go to company for consumables like cassettes, chains, chain rings, as they do seem to carry a lot of stock. Evans didn't have my chainring in stock, even though they were slightly cheaper. If people aren't using CRC or Wiggle, who are they using?
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
PH

Post by PH »

TrevA wrote:If people aren't using CRC or Wiggle, who are they using?

Halfords/Cycle Republic for those mainstream components, they'll price match plus the Cycling UK 10% discount*. I pass one of each regularly so I can order and collect, usually next day. More convenient for me than waiting for a delivery, plus if it's not what I want I can reject it before paying.

*This excludes online purchases, it's unclear if it ought to apply to items ordered online and collected in store, but the one time it was questioned they were persuaded it should :wink:
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

PH wrote:
TrevA wrote:If people aren't using CRC or Wiggle, who are they using?

Halfords/Cycle Republic for those mainstream components, they'll price match plus the Cycling UK 10% discount*. I pass one of each regularly so I can order and collect, usually next day. More convenient for me than waiting for a delivery, plus if it's not what I want I can reject it before paying.

*This excludes online purchases, it's unclear if it ought to apply to items ordered online and collected in store, but the one time it was questioned they were persuaded it should :wink:

Will they price match and also let you have 10% discount on top?
I did get them to price match a Topeak Fuel Tank bag at the weekend, and I've also bought tyres with the discount there recently.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com