Best ( cheap) accurate blood pressure monitor

TrevA

Re: Best ( cheap) accurate blood pressure monitor

Post by TrevA »

mercalia wrote:well I have ordered an Omron one in the end - spent more than I wanted but the real cheap Omron one only had a medium sizes arm band so would have needed to buy the wider one ( well some of us are not weedy weeklings )@£10+ so got the Omron Healthcare M3 one.

What I have been wondering if the best time to measure is just after you wake up?
though measuring after exercise would tell you how fit you are how quick your heart recovers?

I've recently been in hospital and was having my BP done every few hours. It does vary through the the day and night but I think you have to look for trends or abnormally high readings. My highest was 135/89 and lowest was 115/59. Both at rest but the lower one in the middle of the night.

We have an Omron M2 and it gives readings for me, in the range above, so I think it's fairly accurate.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I doubt I've got brachycardia despite the fainting thing I had. My resting heart rate has been a consistent 58 to 62. I've tried medication and other techniques to lower it whilst I've been able to quickly get my HR from a high zone during exercise to very close to my resting heart rate but nothing below it.

My understanding brachycardia is about 50bpm sort of levels not 60bpm.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Tangled Metal wrote:I doubt I've got brachycardia despite the fainting thing I had. My resting heart rate has been a consistent 58 to 62. I've tried medication and other techniques to lower it whilst I've been able to quickly get my HR from a high zone during exercise to very close to my resting heart rate but nothing below it.

Yes you are right there. My HR just now is 47 so I know I can stand up no prob. It’s when it gets below 45 I get problems.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Paulatic wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:I doubt I've got brachycardia despite the fainting thing I had. My resting heart rate has been a consistent 58 to 62. I've tried medication and other techniques to lower it whilst I've been able to quickly get my HR from a high zone during exercise to very close to my resting heart rate but nothing below it.

Yes you are right there. My HR just now is 47 so I know I can stand up no prob. It’s when it gets below 45 I get problems.

Autocorrect changed meditation to medication. I've never taken anything to alter my HR. Even the time I got beta blockers for another condition I refused to take them.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Low HR is not so much a problem its low BP, diastolic less than 60 where oxygen to the brain could be impaired.
But low HR is most likely to give low BP hypotension.
Theres no treatment for low BP, just have to be aware of the symptoms.
You are more likely to live longer also.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/4 ... ging-fall/
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so you are supposed to relax? how can you do that when some thing is squeezing/hurting your arm?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
mercalia wrote:so you are supposed to relax? how can you do that when some thing is squeezing/hurting your arm?

Man up :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
mercalia wrote:so you are supposed to relax? how can you do that when some thing is squeezing/hurting your arm?

Man up :)

well I think its some thing you have to get used to before you can take useful readings? Isnt there a better way of doing it these days?

my instinct is to stress my arms and grip
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Low HR is not so much a problem its low BP, diastolic less than 60 where oxygen to the brain could be impaired.

I remember a programme in TV looking into low blood pressure. The gist of the piece was that due to the little research into low blood pressure the medical profession really didn't know how dangerous low BP is.

It was years ago and there was more and more research being published showing links between low BP and certain serious health conditions that are becoming more significant. I can't remember which but they're conditions that are rising up the risk rankings for health. IIRC alzheimers is one.

Put simply research is beginning to indicate low BP could end up being found out as being as high a risk to public health as high BP. The trouble is there's little treatment regimes for it. In some ways low BP is treated similar to low weight. All the money and focus is on overweight and high BP. One day underweight ppl and low BP ppl could become a health problem, perhaps
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I am wondering about sitting posture. being told to put feet uncrossed on the ground and back resting on the back of chair is not a relaxed postion for tall people in standard sized chairs? legs too long for that, which means a posture that is anything but relaxed? Doing it that way I seem to be getting high readings but when do it my way I get more normal readings
softlips

Post by softlips »

A low HR is also much more pro arrhythmic unfortunately.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

How often should you test your blood pressure?
softlips

Post by softlips »

mercalia wrote:How often should you test your blood pressure?

Depends. If you suspect you have hypertension then take it 4-6 times per day for a couple of weeks. If average is high then you do have hypertension. Once normatensive you can just take it a couple of times a month. If your going for Wright loss to get off BP mets then again take it 4-6 times a day for a week while on the mess, then come off them and do the same for a couple of week (obviously under direction of your GP).

If your BP is noramal then just take it once a month or so.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well I also picked up from Ebay one of those old fashioned stethoscope ones. Must say quite impressed by the build quality. I havent tried it yet. But I can also use the stethoscope to listen to me record player to set up for minimum noise :)
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Got a BP monitor and I'm slap bang in the middle of OK range. The only thing is the irregular heart beat symbol came up twice in three measures (each a couple of minutes apart).

Now the instructions say to see your doctor.

So what's that about? Do I go to the gp over it or just raise it next time I have to go in?