** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: ** The RANT thread for Odds and Sods **

Post by mercalia »

Vorpal wrote:And what about the folks who don't have much money, but adore their pets and look after them well? Should they be penalised? Even if they are a source of companionship to a lonely pensioner? Do those with service animals get discounts? How about sheep dogs? Police dogs?

well if you can afford a pet ( = dog I assume, not a goldfish) you cant be that badly off. I would like to have a pet but cant afford one, with all the vets fees etc. Last week saw a guy begging out side Lidl and he had a well looked after some kind of semi pedigree dog ( not just a mutt ) and it was truly well fed. I dont intend to give the likes of him any money.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:And what about the folks who don't have much money, but adore their pets and look after them well? Should they be penalised? Even if they are a source of companionship to a lonely pensioner? Do those with service animals get discounts? How about sheep dogs? Police dogs?

there is a problem with old police dogs who can not work any more, of course they are not put down, most of them stay with their human partner I believe, hope there is some money for this

I do not have a pet, just a railway teddy and Uncle Bulgaria from the Wombles
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:

well if you can afford a pet ( = dog I assume, not a goldfish) you cant be that badly off. I would like to have a pet but cant afford one, with all the vets fees etc. Last week saw a guy begging out side Lidl and he had a well looked after some kind of semi pedigree dog ( not just a mutt ) and it was truly well fed. I dont intend to give the likes of him any money.

Chaps (and chapesses FTM) like that have a dog for warmth at night and protection against attack as well as companionship.
It must be bloody hard living on the streets,I offer them a Mc Donalds,fish and chips or a coffee and a slice,if you do you'll see the dog always gets a share.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There is evidence that pets can improve mental health. Pet therapy, even for people with pretty challenging issues, can be extremely beneficial. So pets aren't just a luxury to everyone, and for people at risk of loneliness, pets can be a lifeline.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:There is evidence that pets can improve mental health. Pet therapy, even for people with pretty challenging issues, can be extremely beneficial. So pets aren't just a luxury to everyone, and for people at risk of loneliness, pets can be a lifeline.

+1
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:There is evidence that pets can improve mental health. Pet therapy, even for people with pretty challenging issues, can be extremely beneficial. So pets aren't just a luxury to everyone, and for people at risk of loneliness, pets can be a lifeline.

+1

yes but if you aint got any money hardly some thing you can afford - they ARE a luxury in a way that food and shelter aint? if you are so poor you have to beg for money to feed your self, having a dog also is misguided and irresponsible- any way these beggars are actually using the dog to get sympathy, you are being manipulated - you may not care about the beggar but you do about the dog( funny people us english)? I think some eastern european women have used their babies in a similar way in london
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

So they shouldn't have an animal with the benefits that accrue? How would that help anyone?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Bonefishblues wrote:So they shouldn't have an animal with the benefits that accrue? How would that help anyone?

so the taxman should fund having a pet dog then, part of the NHS?
so if i cant afford a holiday in the sun ( would do me a world of good ) begging from people to fund it ok?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There's something wrong with the world, when people are begging on the streets in a wealthy nation like the UK.

The problem isn't that the beggar has a dog. It's that he's a beggar.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

+1

yes but if you aint got any money hardly some thing you can afford - they ARE a luxury in a way that food and shelter aint? if you are so poor you have to beg for money to feed your self, having a dog also is misguided and irresponsible- any way these beggars are actually using the dog to get sympathy, you are being manipulated - you may not care about the beggar but you do about the dog( funny people us english)? I think some eastern european women have used their babies in a similar way in london

I think someone begging with a dog would get more donations

Saw a beggar with several cups, marked *Rolls*, *Champagne*, *Yacht* etc
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Soon there will be three dog nights, when one needs three dogs to keep warm when sleeping outside
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:So they shouldn't have an animal with the benefits that accrue? How would that help anyone?

There are those that would dictate what the poor and homeless should possess,perhaps if they weren't allowed a sleeping bag or warm clothing they may die sooner and the problem would be solved quicker.....
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:There's something wrong with the world, when people are begging on the streets in a wealthy nation like the UK.

The problem isn't that the beggar has a dog. It's that he's a beggar.

Spot on,and since the 2009 collapse caused by rich bankers homelessness and begging on the streets has increased manifold.
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Talking of dogs, more than 31 000 of them from 73 countries will soon be at the World Dog Show in Leipzig

There will be competitions in Dog Dancing and Dog Diving (or Driving?)

Not sure what special toilet arrangements will be made
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oh no the motorcyclists are out again 500 gathered from all over to eat ice-cream
Don't like to think how loud it was
Doubtless the first fatal :accidents: will be reported soon

Can anyone suggest a name for them that doesn't not include 'bike' or 'cycle'?