School trying to make helmets compulsory

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
bovlomov

Re: School trying to make helmets compulsory

Post by bovlomov »

landsurfer wrote:So you've not actually read the post.
Its in Coventry.
That's a place where people who are not from London live.
North of Watford.

I have posted conversations with the deputy head up post.
The school has had a number of problems, especially with the conviction of a PE teacher for abuse of pupils last year.
Deputy Head teacher, Miss Beckenham, was happy to chat ...
Then suddenly went quiet.

No, I mean the one Paulatic posted. All I can find is that it's in Kingston (upon Thames, I presume, as Tfl are funding its bike shed).

By the way, well done for getting as far as that with Finham Park.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

bovlomov wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Can I just point out that I have actually engaged with the schools deputy head teacher. Rather than getting all "human rights" about it I hope your all sending the staff at the school your input to their decision.

Do we know which school this is? It's in London, so when I have a moment, I'll write to TfL (as a concerned Londoner) to ask if they mind that such conditions are attached to something that TfL funded.

And while I'm at it, I may ask why they are funding shelters for only 10 bikes. I think funding should be dependent on matched funding from the school, to provide a realistic number of cycle places.

It’s posted as being "Kingston schools" so more than one I would presume.
The concern is being raised by, funnily enough, an insurance company.
ETA Services Ltd
@ETAservicesltd
Britain’s #1 ethical insurer 2016. We do cycle insurance, travel insurance, breakdown cover and more. Follow for news/offers and @ETATrust for our charity work.
UKeta.co.uk

Edit: to add CUK responded with this https://www.cyclinguk.org/campaigning/v ... -ctc-views
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Its in Coventry.
North of Watford.

The school has had a number of problems, especially with the conviction of a PE teacher for abuse of pupils last year.

I haven't contacted her because you were in the process of doing so, and pointed her here.

So she hasn't provided any details of the rta s that prompted this action?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mjr

Post by mjr »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Its in Coventry.
North of Watford.

I haven't contacted her because you were in the process of doing so, and pointed her here.

Likewise. I thought having dozens of people who aren't connected with the school contacting them with very similar points would probably be counter-productive and regarded as a siege. I also thought there was a low probability of success either way, like with my attempt to get Suffolk County Council to lift the helmet-forcing from a what was claimed to be a fun ride a few years ago... forced clothing ain't fun.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:
Its in Coventry.
North of Watford.

Likewise. I thought having dozens of people who aren't connected with the school contacting them with very similar points would probably be counter-productive and regarded as a siege. I also thought there was a low probability of success either way, like with my attempt to get Suffolk County Council to lift the helmet-forcing from a what was claimed to be a fun ride a few years ago... forced clothing ain't fun.

That is why I didn't e-mail them. Out on a ride I'd concocted some really good lines, but on reflection I thought they'd just declare themselves victims of a targeted Lycra Lout aggressive hate campaign.

Ian
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

For interested parties;

c.buckenham@finhampark.co.uk

Miss C Buckenham
Assistant Headteacher

Finham Park School
Green Lane,
Coventry, CV3 6EA
(024) 7641 8135
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

The London one looks like a set of conditions for using the school's cycle parking, which they are using to introduce consideration of cycle safety.

It also looks pretty reasonable to me, stressing training or supervision, lights and roadworthiness. Of course it would be better if it didn't mention helmets at all, but it does note that they are not compulsory but "would be appreciated" I don't think we can expect better than that from those who are fairly certain cycle helmets are effective (which is pretty much anyone who hasn't looked at the evidence).

I don't think they are actually requiring permission to cycle, just trying to control demand for limited cycle parking. Ideally the cycle parking would be less limited, but bike sheds are traditionally a problem area in schools so it's not surprising they have been removed / not constructed. With the potential for malicious tampering within a school something better secured than a standard "bike shed" is probably required anyway.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Ruadh495 wrote:I don't think they are actually requiring permission to cycle, just trying to control demand for limited cycle parking. Ideally the cycle parking would be less limited, but bike sheds are traditionally a problem area in schools so it's not surprising they have been removed / not constructed. With the potential for malicious tampering within a school something better secured than a standard "bike shed" is probably required anyway.

It says
If your child wishes to cycle to school [...] permission will be granted in writing subject to the following:

That seems pretty definite. The later bit, about how they appreciate the appropriate safety equipment being worn, is just bogus manners - like a mafia don saying he appreciates your cooperation after he's shot the rest of your family.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I have recently been raising a complaint with a local school about the illegal and dangerous parking/driving by parents/carers at school run pickup time. The problems at the school in question have now got beyond a joke (blocking lanes on blind bends, car dooring attempts, etc.) but of relevance to this discussion a response I've had from the Head Teacher today
I have no authority to compel adults outside the school gates to do my bidding although I have really tried.

Ian
millimole

Post by millimole »

My granddaughters are - apparently - about to face a plastic hat compulsion in Northampton (Duston School).
This might be starting to become a national issue rather than localised pockets of individual teachers.

You can easlily remove the Tapatalk spam using settings on YOUR phone
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

millimole wrote:My granddaughters are - apparently - about to face a plastic hat compulsion in Northampton (Duston School).
This might be starting to become a national issue rather than localised pockets of individual teachers.

This is precisely what many of us have feared would happen. The bandwagon effect can pick up speed frighteningly quickly.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

millimole wrote:My granddaughters are - apparently - about to face a plastic hat compulsion in Northampton (Duston School).

No apparently about it, quick google throws this up right at the top of the results:

http://www.thedustonschool.org/sites/thedustonschool.org/files/Students%20using%20Bicycles.pdf

From the language I can only assume Mr Strickland is about as pro car, anti bike as it gets.

The letter finishes (bolding mine):

Please note that these measures are purely to safeguard all of The Duston School’s students and the motorists who use the roads near the school and the school car park itself.

What a complete ****. :evil:
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Really?

This must be a joke

What happened to actually connecting with reality?

Officers have been patrolling outside schools in Duston to warn drivers about parking too close to junctions.

A total of nine drivers were warned about the standard of their parking outside Duston Eldean Primary School today (Tuesday) by officers patrolling the area, while a further five motorists were given warnings outside St Luke’s Primary.

Officers said they were given warnings after parking on or opposite junctions around the schools.

In the last few days officers have been monitoring parking outside schools in the Duston area.

On Wednesday last week five drivers were given warnings at Hopping Hill Primary School and a further 14 drivers were warned about the standard of their parking outside Millway Primary School and Duston Eldean Primary School yesterday (Monday).

@DustonPolicing is warning parents that next time they will get a ticket, using Twitter hashtags #ThinkBeforeYouPark and #KeepingYouSafe

Parents are being advised that they should not stop or park opposite within ten metres of a junction, expect in an authorised parking space.

Deserves a freedom of information request about dangerous parking and then hen how cycle helmets will address the issues the School is choosing to ignore
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Do nothing, and talk about it..

The cops should be issuing tickets immediately instead of providing conversation therapy
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Some amusing alternative letters here https://twitter.com/willbramhill/status ... 3030871041
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom