NO LYCRA PLEASE

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
malvandy

NO LYCRA PLEASE

Post by malvandy »

I have been wearing Lycra ever since it became commercially available to joe public. It is comfortable & fit for purpose when it comes to cycling along with a few other activities/sports, no problem there. I have found it unsuitable to walk around in lycra whilst shopping or visiting a café. Just to feel more comfortable & to avoid any sniggering glances I slip on a pair of over trousers or jogging bottoms. The hunt is on to find something I can wear that is comfortable to cycle with & look like normal clothing . Bearing in mind winter is coming on so long trousers would be needed for now. In summer I can wear my MTB baggies.
What do you guys wear when not clad in Lycra.
meic

Re: NO LYCRA PLEASE

Post by meic »

Secret Lycra.

Normal clothes that look normal but contain lycra around the pivots to allow easy free movement.
Yma o Hyd
PH

Post by PH »

Rohan Troggings are my preferred winter longs, a little water resistant, quick drying, slightly fleecy inner, very comfortable, and would wear then anywhere not formal. Bit pricey, but mine are three years old and wearing well.
https://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-travel-and ... oduct-spec
gaz

Post by gaz »

Currently M&S Cycling Chinos (discontinued) or Craghoppers Kiwi trousers. Both perfectly comfortable former are more water repellent, latter baggier fitting.

Have previously used various offerings from Troll, NorthFace, Rohan, etc.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Boogaloo

Post by Boogaloo »

In Summer I wear the thinnest lightest shorts I can find over my lycra shorts.
In cooler weather I wear cheap stretch jeans (Tesco) which are surprisingly comfy but I wouldn't wear them for long rides.
Paul
0xymoron

Post by 0xymoron »

For 3-season wear I bought a pair of Vulpine shorts in the early spring. Although they were on sale they were still quite expensive (~£60, I think), but I've been very impressed with them: they're very comfortable, have a nice fit on the thigh so they don't ride up, are so well cut they can be (and indeed have been) used as "normal" off-the-bike shorts, and even though they must have been washed twice a week since I bought them (about 50-60 times in total) they still look as good as new with no obvious signs of wear even at the (reinforced) seat. They don't have any stretch in them at all, so I bought a size larger than I normally would and this has worked fine, even though I have to use a thin nylon webbing belt to keep them up.

I'm not sure if you can still buy Vulpine shorts (they went bust a couple of months ago), but perhaps look out for Rapha shorts on sale? I was a bit dubious about spending that sort of money on shorts but if they last me another couple of years (as I fully expect) they will actually will have worked out to be a bit of a bargain.

For winter use I have a pair of Craghoppers Kiwi Pro Stretch trousers. These are made of a nice lightweight material that is very stretchy (not far off Lycra standard), and are tightly cut, so there's no unslightly flapping about on the bike (I used to use the standard non-stretch Kiwi trousers but now find these intolerably baggy on anything other than a sit-up-and-beg bike). The Pro Stretch trousers don't have any lining, which is fine by me, but they are quite thin, so if you suffer badly from the cold they might not be for you. I definitely size up for these trousers (34 inch waist rather than my usual 32 inch - there's no way I would get into 32 inch size off the bike, let alone on it). They're actually made as walking trousers so they're perfectly comfortable off the bike (no reinforced seat, though) and smart enough for anything but formal occasions. You can usually pick then up for about £30 from Amazon and/or Ebay, and as they last me at least 2 winters each they're quite cheap (although I only ride once or twice a week in the depths of winter).

I combine both the shorts and trousers with cheap (~£10 per pair) padded undershorts which I get from Amazon, which I find are perfectly comfortable for 4-5 hour rides.
pwa

Post by pwa »

meic wrote:Secret Lycra.

Normal clothes that look normal but contain lycra around the pivots to allow easy free movement.

Or Lycra/padded undies with Endura Humvee trousers (convert to shorts) with a secret Sportful mesh vest under a MTB teeshirt. Looks more normal but feels good on the bike. The vest is very thin and open but means the trouser waist is over something that is not my skin.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

M&S cycling chinos
I have a pair of those unworn in the back of the wardrobe navy, waist 36" leg 31" complete with labels.
I could be persuaded to part with them, anyone know what they are worth.
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
grufty

Post by grufty »

Keela Peru-does everything!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I've never heard that euphemism before. I shall adopt it forthwith :lol:
pwa

Post by pwa »

Bonefishblues wrote:

I've never heard that euphemism before. I shall adopt it forthwith :lol:

Aren't they the bits that Brucey greases? :D
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

gaz wrote:Currently M&S Cycling Chinos (discontinued) or Craghoppers Kiwi trousers. Both perfectly comfortable former are more water repellent, latter baggier fitting.

Have previously used various offerings from Troll, NorthFace, Rohan, etc.

+1
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
boris

Post by boris »

I am on my third or 4th pair of Howie crosstown cycling chinos in size 36inch long. To my great dismay they seem to have stopped making them , and the latest ones are a different size and cut so had to go back. They may fit you. I am now thinking of going to try for size some Endura urban stretch trousers. I have discovered that in size L the inseam is 33.5inches , and in XL 35inches.

I am not keen on rear pocket zips or studs because they scratch furniture and damage upholstery, so I would have the local menders remove such things.

Mostly I wear ronhill trackster classic which are not embarassingly form-fitting and ideal for audax style riding.

those MandS cycle chinos were flappy and had rear zips so not for me. They were originally made under another name.
Si

Post by Si »

Humvees and m & s chinos for me if it isnt raining hard, otherwise humvee shorts over bib tights if raining and going to be out a while.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If I'm going out to eat or something, I usually wear golf trousers over my cycling shorts (or longs if it's cold enough). Otherwise any trousers from decent quick drying material will do. I have craghoppers (bought from TK Maxx some years ago), and a couple of others I like. I tend to buy them places like TK Maxx, or end of season clearance at outfitters or warehouse outdoors places.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom