E-bikes - too restrictive?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK

How restrictive should e-bike legislation be?

Not at all - if it has 2 wheels and hasn't got an internal combustion engine, then it's a cycle
3%
A lot more lenient - somewhere between "More lenient" and "Not at all". Maybe allow 500W, or 25mph, for example.
7%
More lenient - legislation should aim for an overall result roughly in line with an unassisted cyclist (in terms of weight/speed/power), but it doesn't matter whether or not the rider is pedaling
30%
It's about right - legislation should aim for electric assist, but keeping the overall result roughly in line with an unassisted cyclist
50%
Stricter - somewhere between "It's about right" and "Strict". Maybe require a higher level of human input, or reduced power limits.
No votes
Strict - if it's got a motor, then it's a moped and should be licensed as such
10%

Total votes: 30

rfryer

E-bikes - too restrictive?

Post by rfryer »

Following on from the "E-bikes: depressing or what?" thread, I was surprised at the degree to which we seem to be embracing e-bikes. Taking the perspective of them as a transport solution, the current legislation seems unnecessarily restrictive - almost as if it were pandering to existing cyclists who wouldn't want motorised imposters sharing their facilities. What do you think?
kwackers

Re: E-bikes - too restrictive?

Post by kwackers »

My thoughts.
1st. Remove the speed restriction but leave the power. Speed is inherently limited by power anyway, but I don't see any good reason for the assist to suddenly turn off at 15mph.

2nd. No good reason to enforce pedalling. Enforced pedalling potentially restricts their use with the very people they can help the most.

3rd. There should be a 2nd class of ebike. 750 or even 1kw. Perhaps weight limited but with compulsory insurance (but no registration or MOT. K.I.S.S) This would make for a massively more interesting alternative to a car.
barrym

Post by barrym »

What do we think about what? Pandering... or a solution?

Personally I am seriously considering one as a transport solution.

I'm not enjoying the best of health now and have very low level of energy, but still enjoy getting out on the bike for short trips. Generally 5 miles or so.

I recently replaced my car with a very small one but it seldom gets used. I keep thinking an ebike could easily provide my transport needs for the majority of the time. On the extremely rare occasion that I had to go further than the range or the weather was too inclement I could borrow the wife's.

My 2p worth.
--
Cheers
Barry
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Why E bikes?
Why not have electric transport instead?
Legalise Segways and those hoverboard things and any other electrically powered pedestrian device.

I was in Plymouth last week at Cap'n Jaspers snack bar, and at a table next to me was a gent who had arrived on a sort of wheel with foot-rests. No doubt it was gyroscopically stabilised or something. It looked small enough and light enough to carry. I think it had a carrying handle. I looked at the name of it, and totally forgot to make a mental note of it, but it looked fun and useful ............... but illegal for use in public.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:... a gent who had arrived on a sort of wheel with foot-rests. No doubt it was gyroscopically stabilised or something. It looked small enough and light enough to carry. I think it had a carrying handle. I looked at the name of it, and totally forgot to make a mental note of it, but it looked fun and useful ............... but illegal for use in public.

An Airwheel Q series? As I understand it, most Airwheel's products are claimed to be e-bikes or scooters of various types, but I don't know if they have the relevant UK approvals to make them so legally.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mick F wrote:Why E bikes?
Legalise Segways and those hoverboard things and any other electrically powered pedestrian device.

The problem with Segways is you can't fit brakes to them. They're good fun though.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Airwheel?
I can't remember, but I seem to recall the word "flight" in it.
Googling images of Airwheel, it wasn't quite like that, though the principle is the same.
450-3.jpg
450-3.jpg (20.61 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
The one I saw had the tyre more exposed and didn't look so sleek.

The point is though, why not make these things legal?
I know they can't be because the existing regs don't cover that sort of thing. If you can have a mobility scooter, why not other powered devices?
Mick F. Cornwall
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

mjr wrote:
Mick F wrote:... a gent who had arrived on a sort of wheel with foot-rests. No doubt it was gyroscopically stabilised or something. It looked small enough and light enough to carry. I think it had a carrying handle. I looked at the name of it, and totally forgot to make a mental note of it, but it looked fun and useful ............... but illegal for use in public.

An Airwheel Q series? As I understand it, most Airwheel's products are claimed to be e-bikes or scooters of various types, but I don't know if they have the relevant UK approvals to make them so legally.

If they can't be driven by the pedals they're not legal. It's not strictly required to have pedals in constant use (in the UK), but they do have to be usable.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mick F wrote:Airwheel?
I can't remember, but I seem to recall the word "flight" in it.
Googling images of Airwheel, it wasn't quite like that, though the principle is the same.450-3.jpgThe one I saw had the tyre more exposed and didn't look so sleek.

The point is though, why not make these things legal?
I know they can't be because the existing regs don't cover that sort of thing. If you can have a mobility scooter, why not other powered devices?

Once again: Brakes?

I doubt you'd ever get something without brakes accepted regardless of anything else.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

kwackers wrote:

The problem with Segways is you can't fit brakes to them. They're good fun though.

a segway is heavy and much wider than a bike and very expensive

they are legal in Germany apparently, I have only seen them a couple of times (a couple too many)

an evening segway tour (90 minutes) costs € 65
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I remember seeing online, the availability of a "clockwork" wheelbarrow.

It had a sort of foot operated lever that you cranked up and down to charge up the spring. The wheelbarrow would then be able to move under power some distance in your garden with a heavy load. A terrific boon to the gardener with strength limitations.

If someone could develop a clockwork powered vehicle would they be legal in a public place or on the highway?
I suppose not, because it's "mechanically propelled" even if the rider had wound up the spring in the first place.

What about a pedal powered flywheel vehicle? Get the thing revved up, drop the clutch, and off you sail up the hills! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

kwackers wrote:

I've still never ridden one (but intend to put that right soon) but is there any reason they couldn't have brakes fitted? Unlike the Airwheel, where I suspect braking would easily cause a fall, it seems like a Segway could lean back and then return to horizontal as it stopped, when the brake was applied.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mjr wrote:I've still never ridden one (but intend to put that right soon) but is there any reason they couldn't have brakes fitted? Unlike the Airwheel, where I suspect braking would easily cause a fall, it seems like a Segway could lean back and then return to horizontal as it stopped, when the brake was applied.

They're basically weight shift. If you apply the brakes it would instantly fall forward so it can't lean back since you're already ahead of it.

You'd have to make the brake electronic, when you apply it the unit would have to accelerate first to get ahead of you and then brake - but then you'd fall over backwards, plus the latency would be huge, and it wouldn't know how much to move forward by.

Still good fun though. When you have a go, remember it's all about applying pressure rather than actually moving anything. Within a few minutes you can stop, spin 180 and be going back the way you came in a blink.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

kwackers wrote:My thoughts.
1st. Remove the speed restriction but leave the power. Speed is inherently limited by power anyway, but I don't see any good reason for the assist to suddenly turn off at 15mph.

2nd. No good reason to enforce pedalling. Enforced pedalling potentially restricts their use with the very people they can help the most.

3rd. There should be a 2nd class of ebike. 750 or even 1kw. Perhaps weight limited but with compulsory insurance (but no registration or MOT. K.I.S.S) This would make for a massively more interesting alternative to a car.

Absolutely...

The 250w limit is probably reasonable, but that limit is in itself a limit on the speed available...
As for a 'second class' - I'd suggest they'd be most useful with cargo style vehicles - you might struggle with insurance on a vehicle if there is no vehicle registration system...
I wonder if a 'sub moped' classification - without clothing requirements - is a better option?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
irc

Post by irc »

The USA has different classes. Fastest - 350W cut out at 28mph is road only, no cyclepaths (some variation between federal and state laws) . I tested a 250W Trek with a 20mph cut out. Fantastic. Up a slight hill and into the wind at 19mph. I'd buy one if they were legal here. Current 15mph limit? Only a marginal gain for me. With a 20mph E-bike I'd consider longer commutes and more frequent use for shopping.

This Trek is the 350W 28mph $4500 version.

6-road_bike__Large_ (Medium).JPG