turning right

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Patrickpioneer

turning right

Post by Patrickpioneer »

why is it that sometimes when I am turning right, indicate, move to near centre white line, people then overtake me in their cars?
I don't understand the mentality, what if another car turned out of the junction? I just don't understand it all .
The utility cyclist

Re: turning right

Post by The utility cyclist »

Because the vast majority of motorists are selfish morons who'd rather 'save' a second out of their journey than worry about the life of a human being.
The mentality that is ingrained and encouraged by governments around the world is that they can do what the hell they like without fear of punishment.
This won't change, not ever.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

It can be very dangerous for them and you. A quick over the shoulder glance can be a lifesaver for you. It depends on the exact location where this occurs, but you need to be sure as possible what the motor traffic behind is doing. Not always easy I know. I've been cycling with arm out close to the centre white line at a crossroads with my arm out and still been overtaken. :shock: :evil:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
meic

Post by meic »

Patrickpioneer wrote:why is it that sometimes when I am turning right, indicate, move to near centre white line, people then overtake me in their cars?
I don't understand the mentality, what if another car turned out of the junction? I just don't understand it all .

Because you indicated too late, so they had no time to cancel their planned overtake
or you indicated too early so that they still had a reasonable amount of time in which to pass before you turned.
Mostly though you did both of the above simultaneously, depending on which excuse best suits them (or cycling forum critics).
Yma o Hyd
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Or probably because they had to overtake a cyclist come what may.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

A joker in his Audi, tried to do this to our group, as we crossed the A52 via a staggered junction. He ended up having to make the right turn with us, as he hadn't allowed sufficient time to get past the front of the group before the turn.

He could have just passed us on the left!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Yes, this has happened to me a few times. Last time was in Funtingdon, West Sussex, someone attempted to overtake me when turning right, however in this case I was successful in blocking them off so I could complete the manoeuvre and prevent them crashing into a car turning left out of the road I was turning into. Didn't prevent the driver winding his window down and shouting something about fornication and cyclists as he went past on my left!
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Unfortunately this happens all too often, the latest occasion last week.
I was in Primary position about 30m from junction when idiot pulls into opposite lane & then stops at junction ahead.
I pulled alongside his open window & queried what on earth he was doing?
His response -"Get on the sidewalk you f...... idiot!"
Unfortunately I didn't get his full registration or would have reported him to Police.
Take care out there!
mjr

Post by mjr »

meic wrote:
Patrickpioneer wrote:why is it that sometimes when I am turning right, indicate, move to near centre white line, people then overtake me in their cars?

Because you indicated too late, so they had no time to cancel their planned overtake
or you indicated too early so that they still had a reasonable amount of time in which to pass before you turned.
Mostly though you did both of the above simultaneously, depending on which excuse best suits them (or cycling forum critics).

Doesn't matter whether they were signalling or setting off fireworks. Dumb [rude word removed] shouldn't be overtaking through a junction anyway. They'd get totalled if something was turning left out of the right-hand arm and it would serve them right, although it would be a great shame for the innocent left-turner they hit.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think there was some irony in meic's post.

On the point about people emerging from side roads, it seems to be coming increasingly common that drivers only look to their right, assuming that nothing will becoming from their left. I've seen a driver do just that when there was an emergency ambulance on its offside of the carriageway.

The requirement to give way extends to giving way to all vehicles on the main drag.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

you have to accept that some people are just ignorant and will do this. However to minimise. Don't signal once
Id say the process is
1 think ahead and check for an appropriate gap to pull acroos to the centre
Signal
pull to the centre
signal again whilst pulling acorss to assert your postion
check safe to turn again assert your action with a hand signal.
the extra hand signals are usually enough to say to the motorist not to attempt the manoeuvre.

Being assertive is the key to controlling these situations
Franklyn's road craft has a good description on junctions much better than mine. IAM
NUKe

Post by hondated »

MikeF wrote:It can be very dangerous for them and you. A quick over the shoulder glance can be a lifesaver for you.

Was taught that on my cycling proficiency test in the 60s and its served me well over the years cycling motorcycling and would you believe driving.
mjr

Post by mjr »

hondated wrote:
MikeF wrote:It can be very dangerous for them and you. A quick over the shoulder glance can be a lifesaver for you.

Was taught that on my cycling proficiency test in the 60s and its served me well over the years cycling motorcycling and would you believe driving.

It's still in Bikeability, starting with Level 1 (usually off-road) including a test of saying how many fingers an instructor stood behind you is holding up IIRC.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Happened 3 times in one week at the same junction on my morning commute once. It just illustrates the "must get past the cyclist" mentality which is widespread among motorists.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

NUKe wrote:the extra hand signals are usually enough to say to the motorist not to attempt the manoeuvre.

Not in my experience. I've been overtaken with my arm out, looking at the driver and the driver looking back at me and simply carrying on.