Cutting tent poles

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Cutting tent poles

Post by Sweep »

I carry repair splints and duct tape for touring tent poles but also a couple of spare sections which need cutting to size.

For this I carry a hacksaw blade (no holder) which seems to work OK but it is a tad delicate and I have to be careful about packing it so that it doesn't damage anything.

Would this be handy?

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p59799 ... ini%20pipe

No sizes are given for the product but I have the impression that it is pretty small.

One question - unlike some of the other devices it doesn't specify that it will cut aluminium. But if it will cut copper pipe it will surely have no problem with an 8.5 or 9.5mm diameter aluminium pole?

Or am I missing something?
Sweep
meic

Re: Cutting tent poles

Post by meic »

It will take out the aluminum pole OK. I dont know if it will blunt sooner but you will not be making that many cuts.
The tent pole aluminum will be a lot harder than the copper pipes that it is normally used on.
I have taken the ends off handlebars with mine.

56x35x20mm 106g
Yma o Hyd
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

I rather doubt that OP's suggested device will cut (hardened) aluminium poles, but haven't tried it other than on copper plumbing pipe. I have a bit of slightly oversized tube which can slide over the pole to effect a reasonable repair, this came with my tent, but may be sold as a repair bit - at any rate Hilleberg do em. Any cutting or whatever can then be done at home with a proper hacksaw. The saw/file blade on the more comprehensive Swiss Army knives would cut aluminium.
PH

Post by PH »

I have a ebay pipe cutter, bigger than the one above, but the same principle and probably the same quality of cutting wheel. I've cut two steel steerer tubes and the ends off three handlebars with it. I used to work in a hardware store where we'd use a cheap tube cutter to cut chrome wardrobe rails, the replaceable wheels would last dozens of cuts. I see no reason why the one above wouldn't easily cut aluminium tent poles.
But why? I can't imagine a repair that couldn't be easily fixed without replacing a section of pole.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Are the poles different lengths that preclude cutting the poles to size at home.
My equivalent tool is about 2-1/4" long and about the size of a matchbox.
I would expect this tool to cause the tube to swage-in the end so will need reaming out if needed.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
meic

Post by meic »

I would expect this tool to cause the tube to swage-in the end so will need reaming out if needed.

I imagine that his spare sections will either have a female end formed in them, or an external sleeve. Either way you would cut the "male" end and any internal debris would only threaten the elastic cord.
It would also give folk a chance to use the reaming blade of their Victorinox. :D :D
Yma o Hyd
meic

Post by meic »

I found one of these in my tentbag when I bought it but no mention any where what it was.
https://www.climbers-shop.com/10940428/ ... leeve.aspx

I guessed it may be a repair sleeve but it is much too wide compared to the poles. Now I know it is a repair sleeve I assume that is so you can get it on to poles even when they have been fairly badly deformed.
Interesting to see it used to remove the endplugs and who would have guessed about the bottle opener.

At the time I decided it was no more than a fancy peg puller and pusher and left it knocking around the house as a fancy ornament.
Yma o Hyd
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Sweep wrote:I carry repair splints and duct tape for touring tent poles but also a couple of spare sections which need cutting to size.

For this I carry a hacksaw blade (no holder) which seems to work OK but it is a tad delicate and I have to be careful about packing it so that it doesn't damage anything.

Would this be handy?

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p59799 ... ini%20pipe

No sizes are given for the product but I have the impression that it is pretty small.

One question - unlike some of the other devices it doesn't specify that it will cut aluminium. But if it will cut copper pipe it will surely have no problem with an 8.5 or 9.5mm diameter aluminium pole?

Or am I missing something?

I have two of those, were a boon some 15+ years ago when working with Stainless Steel pipe :)
Flies through any aluminium pipe, last used on my tent poles.
There will be a minute bur on inside of pipe (aluminium) just need some abrasive paper and a twig.

This below is the job for internal burs, works on stainless too.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NB1100-Noga- ... SwIxZZfKjb
BUT its a little heavy handed for small bore aluminium so use abrasive paper backed by a piece of wood etc, THEN finish the end lightly with a piece of fine abrasive paper flat on a piece of wood, just turn the tube on the paper lightly to remove any secondary burr.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

PH wrote:I have a ebay pipe cutter, bigger than the one above, but the same principle and probably the same quality of cutting wheel. I've cut two steel steerer tubes and the ends off three handlebars with it. I used to work in a hardware store where we'd use a cheap tube cutter to cut chrome wardrobe rails, the replaceable wheels would last dozens of cuts. I see no reason why the one above wouldn't easily cut aluminium tent poles.
But why? I can't imagine a repair that couldn't be easily fixed without replacing a section of pole.

Thanks for the encouragement on the tool.

Puzzled by your last question. Are you advocating continuing to use what I would see as an on-tour bodge of a splint with tape?

If I use a new pole section I will need to cut it as my replacements are generic poles of the same diameter - not from the original manufacturer of the tent.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

meic wrote:Either way you would cut the "male" end and any internal debris would only threaten the elastic cord.
It would also give folk a chance to use the reaming blade of their Victorinox. :D :D

Confused.

Again :)

I cut the female end - don't want to cut the male end as it needs to fit into the next pole section fully.
be
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

meic wrote:I found one of these in my tentbag when I bought it but no mention any where what it was.
https://www.climbers-shop.com/10940428/ ... leeve.aspx

I guessed it may be a repair sleeve but it is much too wide compared to the poles. Now I know it is a repair sleeve I assume that is so you can get it on to poles even when they have been fairly badly deformed.
Interesting to see it used to remove the endplugs and who would have guessed about the bottle opener.

At the time I decided it was no more than a fancy peg puller and pusher and left it knocking around the house as a fancy ornament.

Hell of a price for a bit of metal tubing. I bought ten for a fiver a while back.
Sweep
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Ive never had a broken pole. But am now going to cut a piece of copper pipe about 10cm long and put it in my peg bag. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
drossall

Post by drossall »

A bit of old bike cable is good too, for threading the elastic through the cut pole. I had a session mending some Scout tents earlier this year, and found that the best way to do it. Put a sharp bend towards one end of the cable. Thread the other end of the cable through, and the pole holds the bend closed and traps the end of the elastic.
meic

Post by meic »

Sweep wrote:
meic wrote:Either way you would cut the "male" end and any internal debris would only threaten the elastic cord.

Confused.

Again :)

I cut the female end - don't want to cut the male end as it needs to fit into the next pole section fully.
be

Must be different types of poles then. Mine have a flared out female end and the rest of the pole is the same constant diameter as the male end.
Yma o Hyd
pete75

Post by pete75 »

It'll work fine. This might be a better buy though as you get a spare set of cutting wheels with it.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/tube-cutter- ... _container
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker