When to rest

brychan

When to rest

Post by brychan »

Hi

I’ve been riding now for about 16 weeks to lose weight and get fit. I started 3 times a week on average between 10 - 14 miles each trip.

Over the past month I’ve been riding every other day riding 16 - 24 miles per trip, but over the past week I’ve been experiencing muscle fatigue in my legs so should I take a longer rest if so for how long.

I know it’s more about using your common sense but I want to make sure I get enough rest that when I do go out again I feel right to carry on with my routine.
NUKe

Re: When to rest

Post by NUKe »

Its a personal thing, but if you are riding all out, try on alternate rides using lower gears and a higher cadence. Or if you think yo need a break take one.
NUKe

Post by whoof »

A general guide is rest if you feel tired but rest doesn't necessarily mean doing nothing.
The advice above is pretty sound, the body can recover better from 'active recovery' which can mean riding but for timescales that are shorter and at an intensity a fair bit lower than your standard rides.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It's difficult for someone else to say what's best for you, but if you feel you need to rest, I would try skipping one ride, so leave three days between rides, instead of one. If you find you are still fatigued, take a week off.

When you start again, increase gradually, or try a different pattern; perhaps shorter rides (10 miles?) 3 days per week, then one long ride on a day, that you can leave at least two recovery days afterward. The long ride, you can gradually increase (5 or 10 miles at a time?) as you improve.

Or you can go back to 3 days per week, instead of every other day. so that you have a set recovery period of two or three days once per week.

If you can't figure out something that works for you, it's possible that the source is in a lack of calories or nutrition (vitamin D, potassium, etc.). You might want to consult a GP to be sure there isn't an underlying medical reason.

If you also restricted calories that same time that you started cycling, it may just be that your body is still adapting to the changes.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
JohnI

Post by JohnI »

One thing I tend to do is have an "easy" week every 3-4 weeks. So if you're building up say by adding 10% to your mileage each week, when you get to the easy week you drop down by about 30% compared to the previous week and also lower the intensity. If you want to take more days off in your easy week as well that's fine - you've earned it!

Another thing is to maybe do some stretching or yoga/pilates.
go4it

Post by go4it »

Things may have advanced, but I had read of a Delta Heart Rate(Greek for change) also known as Orthostatic test,simple enough to do. Lie down and remain still for 2 mins. noting lowest heart rate number in this position. As you slowly stand, note the spike in heart rate.
Subtract prone from standing..that is your Delta heart rate. Higher number the more stress on body. Delta HR over 30 bpm take day off 20-30 Cautionary THIS IS HIGH make it a recovery day
10-20bpm Normal. 0-10 Excellent
NB as a disclaimer, I take no responsibility for above stats, medical advice should be sought for any physical activity
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

brychan wrote:
Over the past month I’ve been riding every other day riding 16 - 24 miles per trip, but over the past week I’ve been experiencing muscle fatigue in my legs so should I take a longer rest if so for how long..

It sounds like you may merely be going through the motions of exercise I.e. It's easy thinking that getting on the bike every other day and doing the same routine must be beneficial, personally I've always found 2-3 days intensive exercise, followed by a 1-2 day break is far more effective. I gave the bike a miss during a cold spell two years ago and noticed an improvement in cardio fitness by having 4-5 intense gym sessions per week instead.

Also worth considering working other forms of exercise into your routine. I.e. Take a two day break, but do a ten mile run, or 1.5 Hr swim on the second day
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

gbnz wrote:Also worth considering working other forms of exercise into your routine. I.e. Take a two day break, but do a ten mile run, or 1.5 Hr swim on the second day

It might be better to do something for muscle tone & flexibility, like yoga, pilates, or martial arts.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
JohnI

Post by JohnI »

There's also quite a lot of useful stuff on the British Cycling website, for example:
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/article/izn20130108-Sportive-R-R--Maximise-your-post-ride-recovery-0
fatbelly33

Post by fatbelly33 »

For me rest days are very important. On Sunday I did a 27 mile ride (I'm semi retired so for me thats a lot). I went out again yesterday & I wish I hadn't my legs had nothing, so after just 5 miles I gave up & came home & rested. I went out again today after resting and felt great.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

brychan wrote:I know it’s more about using your common sense but I want to make sure I get enough rest that when I do go out again I feel right to carry on with my routine.

Rest is key and if you are tired you are benefiting, so if you do not have to ride for commuting reasons, then for one of the rides take it real easy.

What I found really helped was getting a HRV monitor and seeing how it impacts you for physical stress. It is key not to overdo or any benefit you gain will be lost.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

brychan wrote:Hi

I’ve been riding now for about 16 weeks to lose weight and get fit. I started 3 times a week on average between 10 - 14 miles each trip.

Over the past month I’ve been riding every other day riding 16 - 24 miles per trip, but over the past week I’ve been experiencing muscle fatigue in my legs so should I take a longer rest if so for how long.

I know it’s more about using your common sense but I want to make sure I get enough rest that when I do go out again I feel right to carry on with my routine.

have you lost much weight?