Knocked off my bike!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Pastychomper

Re: Knocked off my bike!

Post by Pastychomper »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Holy thread necromancy...
I'd really like the police to crack down on the abuse of blue lights on windscreen washers, in the back of cabs and the really blue headlights...
We're also coming up to that time of year where flashing blue lights are common in house windows - also an absolute pain IMHO.

Seconded. I have been (legitimately) honked at by an ambulance because I didn't get my car out of the way when it came up behind me. I'd had so many boy racers behind me with blue-tinted headlights that night, that I didn't even notice the ambulance lights when they appeared - they were just another bit of blue among the white lights of a busy road.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Driving an emergency vehicle is like flying a jet fighter I think

Anyone who wants to do it would be unsuitable

I do not want to drive an emergency vehicle, I am a very relaxed driver

Not sure whether that makes me suitable :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
gbnz

Re:

Post by gbnz »

EMD_Nic wrote: wine whits.

Wat du u meen?
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I do not want to drive an emergency vehicle, I am a very relaxed driver

Perhaps a hearse could be your niche :) .
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

old_windbag wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I do not want to drive an emergency vehicle, I am a very relaxed driver

Perhaps a hearse could be your niche :) .

yeees!

The cycle tandem hearse that I saw somewhere on these fora
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

As I understand it, the emergency services are only supposed to use the blue light under certain fairly restricted conditions. I was once told by a volunteer emergency chap (at a racecourse as medical cover) that volunteer ambulance drivers like St Johns' even have to get permission to use blue lights.

And the sirens are only supposed to be used when it is necessary to attract attention to clear the road. All the same, I know that near where my elderly parents live in Lancs, police vehicles routinely use their sirens on the main road in the middle of the night even when there is no traffic at all on it.
In Staffs, where I live, all the emergency services seem to use sirens only as and when they need to, and only for as long as they need to. If traffic is clearing to let them through, they don't use the sirens.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I've not noticed any particular overuse of sirens - approach to junctions or traffic...
Blue lights often get turned off as they get into the final residential area...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.